All reviews japan town fillmore street shabu shabu yoga mat quiet area pacific heights balcony room wine hour great neighborhood fire pit front desk staff restaurants and shops rooms are large very pleasant stay complimentary wine boutique hotel bathroom door
Reviewed 3 July 2016

Situated in Japan Town area of San Francisco, a bit away from the city centre but it is on a direct bus route to
Union Square. It is also located just one street up from the various city hop on hop off bus tour, so you can finish your ride here.
Check-in was efficient and friendly. Our room was spacious with a nice window seat and a good shower. Free Wifi, as expected these days. We overlooked Sutter Street which meant it got noisy in the early morning, but was generally peaceful enough. We didn't eat in the hotel. There was a cafe attached but it had no customers when we looked in about19:00 and no atmosphere. However, Sweet Maple just down the street does excellent breakfast – be prepared to queue.
The hotel has a happy hour period each evening with free drinks or cocktail of the day, which was nice.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Emily G, General Manager at Kimpton Buchanan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2016

Hi, By_Sharon,
Please drop me a line if you have a moment. I can see from your choice of 3 stars that we might be able to work on some things, though it looks like your review was quite positive! I can also pass on your comments to the restaurant owners (the tenant here), and meanwhile I'm glad you loved Sweet Maple for breakfast. I absolutely adore their millionaire's bacon, and sweet potato pancakes are a great pick, too!

Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

This is a decent, mildly quirky hotel that doesn't do anything wrong but also doesn't really go out of its way to impress. I had a decent room on the top floor with a balcony, which provided nice views. The hotel is quite far away from pretty much everything so if you're traveling on business, know that it's not conveniently located. On the plus side, it got me into an area of San Francisco I'd never experienced (Japantown).

Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business

Hi, ChristopherChicago,
Yes, I hear you -- San Francisco is really a collection of neighborhoods, and ours (Japantown/Pacific Heights) is pretty special. The good news is that if you are "commuting" to work downtown from staying here, you can take advantage of either the new local Chariot van service, a direct Uber/Lyft, or the local #2, 3, or 38 buses. I hope that you will come and see us again! Sometimes it's nice to stay away from all the stressed out folks in suits, right ;)?

Reviewed 29 June 2016

Great location
Great staff
Great room
Was here for a weekend trip and would stay here again
Nice surroundings
Quiet and complacent atmosphere
All around a nice place and comfortable
Would definitely stay here again
Highly recommend

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Emily G, General Manager at Kimpton Buchanan, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2016

"Excellent" is just what we strive for, so thank you very much for this note, E751MSrafaeld!

Reviewed 28 June 2016

This hotel was being upgraded during my stay but this did not deter from a very comfortable and quiet stay. I would stay here again although the location is a little away from downtown market street. The rooms are well appointed with free wifi. Also, have to love the free wine at 5pm in the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business

Hello, MichaelcNYC15, and thanks for coming to see us. I am glad you enjoyed the room, wifi, and wine (cheers!), and of course the upgrades are now complete and we are excited to have our courtyard space and fitness center fully open and ready for fun and fitness. (Bocce or corn hole, anyone :)?!)

Reviewed 28 June 2016

I have stayed in many areas in and around San Francisco, and I found this to have some great character. I think some people would insist that it requires some updates, but while it may seem a little dated, that's just part of the charm.
First, you couldn't ask for more friendly and accommodating staff. They are very professional and personable at the same time.
I stayed for two nights and had to make separate reservations for each night because one night was for pleasure, the other business and I didn't want any confusion when I turned in my expenses. Plus, I wasn't 100% sure I would be able to work the personal night into my schedule at the time I made the business reservation. After I'd made both reservations, I noticed that I had two different room types. I contacted The Buchanan and asked if I could possibly stay in the same room both nights, and they readily agreed. At the time, I really didn't care which room, I just wanted to not have to change rooms since I had a week of travel ahead in various cities. They readily agreed and when I arrived I found that I was allowed to stay both nights in a King Patio room, which I really loved! Each of those rooms are ground level (thus 'patio' not balcony) with a private patio with an outdoor settee, chair and low table that resembled a large flat stone. This patio had a gate that opened up to the courtyard area that was well manicured, had a recreation area, fire pit, and seating all around. If traveling with a group of friends or family members this would be a great location with everyone having one of these rooms so you could easily socialize for morning coffee or after a long day of enjoying the city. The courtyard is entirely fenced in, and the neighborhood is quite so I did not feel there were any real safety concerns.
Due to my schedule, I was not able to take advantage of the evening social nor dine at the restaurant there, so I can't comment on that.
As they let you know, parking is extremely limited. When I arrived there after dinner the second night the parking garage had a sign out saying that the lot was full. I went in to ask the front desk for suggestions as to where I should look for parking. The gentleman behind the desk quickly looked out in the garage and said that there was a space available. I think that he was actually referring to a space that was 'reserved' for charging a Tesla, but there was one other space in the back corner so I parked there instead, just in case.

Stayed: May 2016

Thanks so much for your thoughtful and detailed review, cathyj0w! I also love those new patio rooms and I wish that more folks would take advantage of the fire pit or lawn game court. Perhaps they are so tucked away in to the hotel that folks don't know they can cut straight through the GM and enjoy that little private outdoor oasis!