“Lunch”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Neighbourhood: Haight-Ashbury
Neighbourhood: Haight-Ashbury
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We had lunch and beer at Magnolia on a Friday. Staff were friendly and attentive despite being very busy. We had the small meat platter which was delicious. My husband very much enjoyed the beer selection. An interesting and vibrant place to eat or drink.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

The fact that they actually have real ale here, for me, deserves 5 stars. And a really decent drop it is too! The food was less impressive but I can't really judge it on the rather lacklustre fried asparagus starter I had. But the beer - really impressive, If real cask ale is not your thing, then they have "draught" ale - where they take the cask ale, cool it down, and add carbon dioxide - thereby ruining it in my opinion. But each to their own.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Just popped in for a drink and missed our bus...so stayed for food.

Cracking sausages although the curry one wasn’t my favourite. Fish and chips were great but no room for desert!

Good beer, good wine and a table over the grate looking down on the cellar.

Quirky, not fussy and would go back to try a bit more of the menu.

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

I happened in following an event at “Bound Together,” the anarchist bookshop across the street. Events at anarchist bookshops are prone to make one need a drink. This event was no exception.

As soon as I crossed the threshold of Magnolia, I thought “this feels real.” A good buzz, a full but not overfull house, a cheerful noise level: bustle, not anarchy. I sat at the bar overlooking the beer taps and semi-open kitchen. The moderately tattooed barmaid (tattoos are a sine qua non of all waitstaff in San Francisco these days) cheerfully gave me three tasters to help answer the question “What is your least hoppy beer?” All three were delicious, but, forced to choose, I went with the Red beer. Perfect with the snack of pork rilletes and pickled vegetables I’d ordered.

I don’t live in San Francisco, and so I doubt I will ever visit Magnolia again. But if I did live nearby, I imagine I’d be very happy to make Magnolia my “local.”

Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

We visited the Gastropub with friends and had a lovely meal and enjoyed the vibrant atmosphere and tasted a few different beers. However the service was appalling!! Truly! My husband’s meal was served 25 minutes before the rest of our meals were served. He felt embarrassed to be eating it but as the sausage plate was hot he really couldn’t wait. Then one of the main meals never arrived. The waiter said he didn’t hear my friend’s order but surely 101 of being a waiter is to make sure the number of meals equals the number of diners at the table. There was no real apology either. The waiter even came back and asked if we enjoyed our meals and service. I was incredulous. He seemed completely off with the fairies. Fortunately the meals were large and I shared my chicken with my friend. Otherwise the meals were all delicious. The atmosphere is vibrant and a fun place to visit. However it’s hard to rate a place highly when they don’t deliver basic service.