“Warm and cheerful”

Cuisines: American, Deli, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Not much is open in Bar Harbor in the winter season. The Thirsty Whale is a warm spot in the middle of a cold abandoned town.

The cons: the menu is limited and the staff aren't going to be your lifelong besties. In fast, they won't ask how you are, wont chit chat, and frankly don't care.

But...

The limited menu is excellent. Over several visits, everything was good. The staff notice if your drink is empty. They bring you another. They anticipate your needs. This ain't Cheers, but if you want to read a book or check your phone, this is the place.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 789)

61 - 65 of 1 789 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Great seafood. Good burgers and sandwiches.nice selection of alcohol and non alcoholics drinks. Big servings. A place you can relax and catch up on the game.

Heather S, Owner at The Thirsty Whale Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Thank you very much. We try hard to serve you fresh food at a good price.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Fast friendly service. Very casual and relaxing with afordable prices. Not just a bar, good for families too.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Ate a fisherman plate this afternoon and within a half hour I began to have severe abdominal pains and nausea. This was followed by vomiting and diarrhea! A most unpleasant experience since I was feeling great before I ate.
A family member called the restaurant to let them know. The manager told her it couldn’t be seafood poisoning because it takes 24 hours. She said I must have gotten poisoned from what I ate somewhere else! I can honestly tell you I did not eat any seafood the day before! The manager seemed unconcerned that people might be sickened by their food.

This is not at all an accurate account of our conversation. I told your relative that I doubted it was food poisoning from our seafood because we sell so much of it that we get it delivered fresh almost daily and that food poisoning takes at least a few hours and usually 24 to 36 hours to show symptoms. Many foods can cause food poisoning. She then commented on how fresh the seafood tasted and wondered if it was a problem with our distributor. I told her that I would contact our distributor and check the food that we had in the kitchen. I asked her to keep an eye on you so that you did not become dehydrated and to seek medical care if your symptoms became worse. After we hung up, I called my distributer and they had no reports of any problems. I went into the kitchen and checked the seafood to see if it seemed off. I then fried up a portion of everything we have on the fisherman's plate and ate it with no incidence of sickness. To say that I was unconcerned is not true. I took all the steps that I can to ensure that we were not serving a bad product. We are a serve safe certified establishment and take food safety very seriously which is why I was doubtful that the problem stemmed from our kitchen. I hope that you recovered quickly and were able to enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Reviewed 23 June 2018

Food was very good! We ate there one day and liked it so much that we came back again the next day! Lobster roll was good, the haddock sandwich was great!