“Great Place to stay on Oahu NOT WAIKIKI”
Review of Waimanalo

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Palo Cedro
44 helpful votes
“Great Place to stay on Oahu NOT WAIKIKI”
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Waimanalo is on the windward side of Oahu, 25 minutes drive from the airport. It is a small town on a 5 mile beach that is truly world class. My family and I spent 2 weeks in a vacation rental in the Waimanalo Beach Lots in September 2010. I knew I didn't want to stay in Waikiki, but where else should we go? We decided the North Shore was too far from everything for our tastes, so it was Windward side or Lee side. We made the right decision (windward) and I highly recommend it to you.

Our rental was literally a 90 second walk from 5 miles of fine, white sand. It was fantastic. I've never been so relaxed. I watched the sunrise every morning. If you are spending $200 a night on a condo or a couple of hotel rooms, look into renting a house. It really can be cost effective and give you a completely different experience. We shopped and ate with locals in town, 2 minutes away. Or we drove to Kailua (North 12 mins) for more choices in eating and shopping. We rented kayaks in Kailua and snorkeled off Lanakai Beach.

When we decided to go to Honolulu, it was an easy 30 minute drive. The windward (East) side is windy, but not too much. More like a nice breeze to cool you off (except at night directly on the beach - but then it was still a warm wind). The area gets rain almost daily (short bursts) so it is beautifully lush.

If you are looking for a different experience than Waikiki, something relaxing and rejuvenating, I can't recommend Waimanalo highly enough.

37 Thank juliee1906
California
“Serenity”
Reviewed 6 November 2009

If you dream of experiencing the most serene, beautiful beach on earth, you need only visit Waimanalo. The ocean is rippling with hues of iridescent turquoise and unbelievably pristine for the 21st century. A marvelous treasure on our own shores. The quiet, sleepy town is literally situated between a long stretch of tall green vertical ridges and the picturesque shoreline. Couldn't be nicer, even in a grand master's impressionistic painting, or a spicy Gaugain canvas.

Camano Island, Wa.
5 helpful votes
“Most beautiful beach on Oahu!”
Reviewed 22 November 2008

Our family of 5 just spent 17 days on Oahu in Waimanalo. It was truly the best vacation we have ever had.

We rented part of a house, listed as Rena's Best Beach, which was incredibly clean and close to the beach. 100 yards or so is all it took to get to this incredible beach.

The water is aqua, the sand is golden, the waves are great for boogie boarding, and the beach was almost vacant during the week. We went in November so it was the beginning of winter. We did encounter a few cloudy or rainy days but we simply drove over to Ko Olina (to the lagoons there) or Waikiki and enjoyed the sunshine that is more prevalent there. Our 11 year old son is less certain of himself in the waves at Waimanalo so enjoyed the time at Ko Olina and Waikiki.

The quiet pace in Waimanalo creates a relaxation unobtainable in Waikiki.

There is a McDonald's, Jack-in-the-Box, L&L Hawaiian Drive-In, a Bakery which had warm glazed doughnuts in the morning, a drive-in called Kenekes (great steak fries!), a 7-eleven, and a few other commercial businesses in town. No large scale shopping, but who needs it when you have Waikiki to go to for any tourist gifts you could desire.

My husband, myself, and our 3 boys ages 11-17 all loved this area. We'd go there again in a heartbeat and hope to return in the future.

5 Thank ricsan5

Been to Waimanalo? Share your experiences!

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.