“Still just a great dive operation!”
Review of Lahaina Divers

Lahaina Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: You'll experience Hawaiian diving at its best at pristine Molokini Crater, dramatic Lanai, the awe inspiring Scalloped Hammerhead Sharks, the sunken schooner Carthaginian, drift diving at Molokini Backwall and West Lanai, weekly twilight/night dives and daily Turtle Reef, all with the convenience of a West Maui departure. Our dive shop is located in the heart of the historical village of Lahaina Towne, 4 miles from the Ka'anapali Resort area and a short walk to Lahaina Harbor. We dive more of Maui County, more often than any other dive operator on the island! Nitrox is available. Lahaina Divers is one of the oldest PADI shops in existence and offers a full range of scuba training as well. Beginners complete the Introductory PADI Discover Scuba program(no certification needed), daily Open Water referral dives and Advanced Open Water dives on the Turtle Reef charter. We offer training all the way to scuba instructor! Come, join us as we celebrate our 37th year of diving in Maui!
Reviewed 5 October 2017

I reviewed Lahaina Divers a few years ago and was really impressed then. I've dived in some pretty impressive places since then (Aruba, The Turks & Caicos, etc.) but this is still my favorite operation. Great equipment, a strong feeling of safety and friendly, helpful crews make this the best bet for diving in Maui.

1  Thank Michael D

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Been diving with Lahaina since we started hibernating in the Ka'anapli area since 2012 and they have always been my go to dive outfit. The dive masters have from back then have moved on since but the recent ones that I dove with are excellent (Sept 2017). They are all pros and very helpful in identifying the best dive spots and species of Maui.
Special mention goes to the dive captains, i.e. captain Erika and the office crew, Tim and the head equipment maintenance guy, Ron!
Lahaina Divers makes you feel like a family member and keeps your safety a priority on all the dives.

1  Thank BLASTRAMON
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

This is the second time I've reviewed Lahaina Divers. Only did 4 dives on this trip.

Two dives were on Mala Pier with my daughter. The site is easy but has a good variety of fish and usually some sharks.

The other dives were the hammerhead dive off Molokai, and a wreck dive on the Carthaginian just offshore near Lahaina. The boat ride to Molokai was insane (but fun!). We went up the coast of Maui to Honolua Bay then turned west to cross the Pailolo Channel to Molokai. They said Pailolo means "crazy fisherman". The waves are usually 6 feet but with the weather and a king tide it was 10 feet, which makes for a sporty ride. We arrived behind a large rock and all jumped off the back upon the captain's command to "dive! dive! dive!". We descended to 45 feet, went around the rock and down to 85 feet where we saw a school of about 10 scalloped hammerheads. After a drift, we ascended into 6 foot waves and carefully reboarded the boat. The captain said it was not safe to stay, so we headed back to Maui for the second dive, which was good but not as exciting.

I highly recommend the hammerhead dive. Can't wait to do it again.

Beyond that, I want to say that Lahaina Divers is one of the best dive shops I know. The staff is friendly and thorough. Most importantly, their safety procedures on deck and below water are excellent, and a good reminder even for experienced divers.

1  Thank Marc R
Reviewed 1 October 2017

This was our first and probably only time diving with Lahaina divers. There is a lot to talk about so let's start with the good stuff first.

Pros:

1) I have to give 5 stars for integrity. I signed up for a diving trip 2 years ago with my son and paid. However, we were unable to go and received a credit. They actually kept the credit in their system and it was available for use on this trip. I had completely forgotten the credit and have to give a big thumbs up to the company for being honest and keeping it on file.

2) The boat itself was very nice. Well designed for diving, with the tanks nicely spaced and easily accessed, especially when you are setting up and putting on your gear. There was plenty of space to store your stuff, sit, or move around. The boat engine was loud in transit, but not much you can really do about that I suppose. Entry into the water was off the stern (rear) and about 1 foot from the water. It made exiting the water nice as well.

3) There was plenty of food and drinks before and after the dives.

4) The staff was very friendly...but, and this leads to the cons.

Cons:

1) Unfortunately the attorneys got to this dive shop in a big way. The words "corporate", "liability", and "dumbing down" are the best way to describe this company. The safety briefing was too long and clearly designed for first time divers. It would be nice if the staff would take a bit more time to get an idea of your actual dive experience and tailor the the briefing accordingly. This is the first time I have ever been lectured to more than 5 minutes about how to dive. Our dive master had two full pages of briefing material. It was overkill and not cool.

Staff was also inconsistently consistent on safety. For instance, you weren't allowed to stand up in your gear without staff assistance for fear of falling. I should note, you were required to put your fins on before your gear and walk to the water's edge in your fins.
Fine, but maybe if we were allowed to don our fins on at the water's edge falling would be less of an issue. Again the dumbing down came into play here. I suppose a couple of people were unable to put their fins on at the edge, so the attorneys decided no one could. Not sure it's the best system as I have never seen that done on any other dive boat I've been on.

So they are ultra safe in that instance, but in another, safety went out the window. We had a pod of dolphins get near us. All of the dive masters took off leaving quite a few of us behind. Visibility was 60 feet and in their rush to find the dolphins they got out of sight rather quickly. It's a contradiction on safety and not in a good way. The attorneys worry about falling on the boat, but don't worry about divers getting lost in the ocean. We did see the dolphins though, so that was cool.

2) The captain said we were supposed to sit until we exited the harbor. I got up when we exited the harbor and was told to sit in a rude tone by staff. Apparently the rock wall surrounding the harbor is not really the harbor, the buoy, way on the outside of the harbor was. Who knew? Either way I can't imagine that was a huge breach of safety protocol.

2) They only use 72 tanks. "Corporate" comes into play here. The difference between a 72 and 80 can mean a lot in terms of down time. The entire experience felt rushed, get in, get out, and, "oh by-the-way" we make it quick on purpose by giving you a 72 tank. No hour long dives here. I had 1200 PSI at the 45 minute mark but was told to surface regardless. Again this is the first dive boat I've ever seen do this and it was not cool.

3) The dumbing down was apparent with a couple of the dive masters who felt the need to incessantly bang their tanks to get the diver's attention. I get it, people are stupid and don't pay attention, but it was way overboard. Bang, bang, bang, every two seconds. It got really annoying really quick. It felt more like cattle herding than diving.

4) The staff was way to proud of themselves when we "luckily" ran into a pod of dolphins. Sure it was cool, but you would have thought the staff brought down the second coming of Christ based on their reaction. There was no skill involved, it was pure luck...that's diving. Let's not give credit where credit isn't due.

Overall, it was just an okay experience. I can't fault the staff for being rude and overbearing in terms of the rules. The attorneys have beaten the fun out of them. I know it would have been a lot better if they could have just chilled on the rules and let us dive. Something tells me that ship has sailed.

4  Thank C J
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

I just finished four days of diving with Lahaina Divers. A little background, I have been a Divemaster for 24 years and done dives all over the world with varying experiences. I would place Lahaina Divers near the top of dive operators.

First off, they are what they are - they have a great shop, friendly staff, and great location. everything was very organized from a set up perspective. Online reservations worked very well.

They have two identical boats - these are definitely what you would call 'cattle' boats. They are set up for maximum divers. Again, they are what they are.

The boat captains are professional and safe - the pre-dive briefs were very thorough and clearly laid out the plan(s) for the dives of that day. The dive leaders are all certified instructors and they were very attentive and focused on pointing out the unique life found around Maui.

Once they got to know our group - we were given some leeway around remaining with the group - they felt comfortable with our dive abilities and therefore allowed us to add some time to our dives as long as it was safe to do so. This makes sense as when you have a group of 5-7 divers under your care, generally you will be taking them all up at once. No diver was allowed to walk on the deck in gear without a crew member assisting and there was a clear process for getting out of the water during rough water dives to ensure safety.

Overall it was a great experience and I am quite pleased with the operation.

For the record:
- Hammerhead dive (twice)
- Adventure 3-tank dive
- All-day four tank dive (included the Carthaginian wreck and Lanai'i Cathedral 1)

Over the four days I was able to do:
- Challenging drift dives (hammerhead)
- easy shallow dives (Wash rock, Pier, various 'new' sites off Lanai'i)
- A nice, easy, overhead environment with lots of ways out (Cathedral)
- A very simple wreck dive (Carthaginian)

The supply aluminum 80s with valves that can be adjusted to Yoke or DIN and have 100s for rent if needed. Nitrox is also available.

I did make a point to check the final bill at the end as I knew we may have been charged for items we did not use (extra Nitrox, etc) and getting those charges reversed was easy.

I definitely recommend Lahaina Divers for just about any experience level.

1  Thank jridg