“Unbelievable morning of spear fishing with my son.”

Maui Spearfishing Academy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Be PROUD of the fish you catch and the skill you gain with Maui Spearfishing Academy! We only target big Game and Invasive species. We'll teach you how to dive and hunt in a sustainable and respectful way. Let us be the highlight of your trip. Just look at our reviews!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

What a fantastic morning spent with our great guides Joey and Keoki. We learned how to hold our breath, identify fish, load and shoot the spear gun.. all before we got in the water. We were provided with top of the line gear for our spearfishing journey.
Our group was only six.. 1 guide for 3 students..
This made for a great experience out on the water.
Both my son and I dove down farther than we ever had before.. It seemed so effortless with the tools we were given by Joey and Keoki. Highlight of our trip to Maui.

1  Thank mfsundin
Bobby T, Owner at Maui Spearfishing Academy, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Joey and Keoki Really are amazing guides and true local spear-fishermen! Stoked you had a great time and thank you for your kind review!

All reviews
"his life"
"an incredible experience"
"deep water"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Keoki and Joey did a great job with the trip. Highly recommend. Also liked the pre dive tutorial on breathing technique. Mahalos guys!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Wow. The highlight of my visit to Maui was definitely the Maui Spearfishing Academy (MSA). My spearfishing day started off in the morning on a bit of a cloudy day, I was a little worried about the weather, but upon arriving at the MSA headquarters, my worries were immediately dispelled by the energy and cheeriness of my guide for the day, Keoki. Keoki was born and raised on Molokai and never stopped having a smile on his face throughout the entire day, nor a lack of great stories about his life on the islands - particularly about fishing in the seas or hunting in the jungles.

My group was just me, another Maui visitor from the mainland, and Keoki. After spending a bit of time going through the safety and on-land talking points about how to spearfish, we jumped into the MSA SUV and headed to a close beach. We entered the water simply by swimming out from the shore and spent the next few hours swimming around, spearfishing for invasive fish species, and getting some great sights of fish, sea turtles, and octopus’. I didn’t quite have the aim to hit any of the fish, but the challenge and fun of trying was such a cool experience. Our time on the water was plenty long and when we got out I was ready for a nap.

I’d recommend anybody who’s visiting Maui to give these guys a try. MSA, and our guide Keoki in particular, created such an awesome and fun experience: and one that is helpful for keeping the Hawaiian reefs less overrun with invasive fishies.

Keep up the great work MSA!

Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

Keoki was an awesome guide! He was a cool dude. Very informative. Kept a good eye on our small group. Let us have fun too.

I shot a couple of small guys. One invasive grouper and another fish. Also missed a couple. Doesn’t matter, it’s all about the hunt.

I’d definitely use them again!

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 June 2018

We didn't know what we were getting ourselves into at all when we signed up for the spearfishing course with Bobby but it was a fantastic adventure and I am so glad that we did. I had always liked pushing my limits underwater and seeing how long I can hold my breath but I was never really exposed to the freediving techniques or ideas. After just the land session with Bobby I had set my personal best record and came close to repeating it in the water -- I still did way better than I ever have before. Bobby gave us great tips after each dive. Unfortunately I didn't catch any fish but the blame was squarely on me as I've had ample good opportunities -- one time I had the perfect shot but I hadn't depressed the safety! What a bummer! After this class I started practicing free diving and breath holding techniques on my own so that I can focus primarily on my aim skills next time!

Also it was great to be diving with Joey and Bobby as they had a very strong connection to Hawaii both culturally and ecologically and were prinicipled in the types of fish they were targetting.