“Unique site, pretty crowded”
Review of Queen's Bath

Queen's Bath
Ranked #3 of 30 things to do in Princeville
More attraction details
Owner description: Natural pool carved into a lava shelf, the size of several large swimming pools.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It's fun to visit this site because it is so unique. The trail head is in Princeville along the north shore. The hike down can be a little tricky. I wouldn't try it after a heavy rain. Trail is heavily rutted from soil being washed out between tree roots.

Parking at the trail head is limited so we parked farther away and walked. But, we did see that cars that decided to wait for people to leave were seeing pretty good turnover for people who left.

The lava rock forms a unique oval pool which is filled by waves crashing over the sides of the formation, particularly in two areas. Do not stand in these areas. We saw people knocked down by the incoming waves. Though no one was injured that we noticed, we have heard that it happens. Just be careful.

In addition to the 'bath,' there a couple of small, put pretty waterfalls on the way down. If you go left at the bottom of the trail, you'll go to Queen's Bath. On the way there, you'll see King's Bath which is much more open to the ocean and can see a dramatic change in water level. We saw a lot of turtles feeding here, a highlight of this particular hike. However, we noticed people using this as a place to cliff jump. A couple of men even touched the turtles. While I get the adventure of it, we wondered if this could be a problem for the turtles (who knows how the oils on our skin, or sunscreen, will interact with their shells?). We found out later there is quite a large fine for doing this. We enjoyed seeing the turtles from the rocks and were able to get with six feet or so.

If you take a right at the bottom the trail, you can walk along the lava formations and see more turtles feeding along the rocks there as well. It was a very worthwhile hike and swim.

1  Thank MarkonBirch
Write a ReviewReviews (1 280)
All reviews
"beautiful spot"
in 30 reviews

9 - 13 of 1 281 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First it needs to be point out the path to Queen’s Bath is an adventure in itself and if you don’t care about how you look afterward, you could enjoy it !

I’ve seen a dozen footages about this place. Every of them looked unbeliveable.
And indeed, it is so.
One of the best spots on Kauai in my opinion! And believe me, it wasn’t easy to choose it among such a big competitors on this mind blowing island!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There is a small parking lot by the trail head but it was packed when we went on a Thursday morning. You can pay $15 to park at the nearby golf course (about .25 mile walk to trail head). We were frustrated with this but it was definitely worth it! This was the best thing we did on the island! After you hike down the trail (muddy and messy, but not difficult), you will arrive at the ocean and see waterfalls, pools, cliff jumping, turtles (SOO many turtles!) and potentially lots of people. My husband and I walked past the cliff jumping area and past the actual Queen's Bath and found our own private bath! We watched the waves first to make sure it wasn't going to be too dangerous and it wasn't at all. Absolutely STUNNING views and I can't say enough good things. Besides parking, my only tip would be: INVEST IN CHACOS OR TEVAS FOR THIS ADVENTURE! There is both hiking and swimming and you will want to keep shoes on in the water! Definitely make this adventure a priority!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Located in a rich residential area, parking is very limited. I arrived at 4pm and the parking was full, you have to wait in line until someone leaves. My partner and I made friends with the locals there and we were lucky that they offered to park on their property. Be prepared to be super muddy, from head to toe, its very slippery too so wear proper shoes, some people wore sandals and they struggled. Some people even just did it bare feet but I recommend wearing something comfy and not afraid to get down and dirty in your shoes. If you find a good walking stick TAKE IT! VERY USEFUL TO HAVE. When you reach queens bath, it is such a beautiful outlook to the water. Sea turtles are swimming everywhere! People were cliff jumping too but be careful of the current, there was a big sign "do at your own judgement" I was standing near the rocks and the current also reached up to me, and almost washed me away, so be careful! The sunset is amazing to see in this location too. Wear bathers also, its great to swim in the rockpools, just watch out for crabs.