15 people are viewing this hotel
US$411
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
US$400
1 513
1 084
1 513
1 084
All reviews our honeymoon close to the airport cafe portofino partial ocean view huge pool pool view sushi great beach amazing pool north shore kalapaki bay parking lot time share golf course waimea canyon per day rental car
Selected filters
12 - 17 of 3 304 reviews
Reviewed 13 July 2021

Just came back from 8 days here. Checkin was a breeze. We arrived early around 11am. Room wasn't ready but we were able to store our luggage and head to the pool.
Room was ready around 12:30. We had the pool view which was nice

Hotel is little dated and can definitely use a paint job and few updates but the room was nice. No issues with room or Bathroom

Pool is nice and big. you do have to get out there early to grab chair under shade. It was busy after 4th of july weekend. Beach is nice

Food is expensive on site or at Dukes next door. Options are limited but There are food trucks across the street near Harbor mall which are more affordable
$25 resort charge (wifi etc) and $25 self parking

overall we had good experience and could stay again. They are starting some upgrade and there was a notice of Construction noise staring July 12th.. so check ahead

Date of stay: July 2021
Reviewed 27 June 2021

We are stayed at this property when it was a Marriott at least 10 times - we thought we would give Sonesta a chance since they took over in March - what a mistake. First, service - we to the hotel in the middle of the day and no one at front desk - finally someone shows up and there is a line of people but no other help. Our room was supposed to be serviced after three days (we stayed six nights) room never cleaned, no clean towels provided, etc. When we were leaving we had a 6:00 AM flight to Oahu - we were told the shuttle operates 24 hours - it doesn't - the guy finally showed up to drive us and stated - don't know what the rush is no flights before 7 and the airport doesn't even open until 6 - I told him different and w ehad a 6:00 am flight - and he didn't beleive me - we get to the airport and it is busy because flights arr leaving at 6. Also, no one would ever answer the phone throughout the day.
Cleanliness - the grounds used to be impecable - but weeds coming up in the gardens, the pool area at night was full of trash, trash can overflowing, the pool itself had sand and pebbles throuhgout and floating plastic cups. It was really sad because this property used to be pristine.
What was a tradition to stay here is now an opportunity to find a better location and a hotel with better service and cleanliness.

3  Thank Michael G
Reviewed 23 June 2021

My week-long stay at the Royal Sonesta Kauai was a really mixed experience. The GOOD is the people who work there. Everyone was friendly and helpful, laid back and professional. The grounds, especially the garden, are lovely and tranquil. The beach is mellow, and you can wade pretty far out. The room I was given was very quiet--I never heard people on either side of me.

The MEH would be the rooms, themselves. They were about the same as a Hilton Garden Inn. There were no amenities (like, not even a soap dish!), and everything was a little run-down. The mini-fridge had to be yanked hard to open, as did the screen door, which didn't slide easily on its tracks; the furniture was scratched.

The food was also very limited, especially if you don't eat fried foods. The pool was always crowded and loud, and it was hard to find a place to sit.

The dissapointing: I booked a King Ocean-view room, and half my view was the roof of the lobby and the back of another building. Between the lack of amenities and scratched furniture, it was a LOT to pay ($545/night with taxes & fees) for an average room & view. I wouldn't return or recommend, unless it was just a night or two before moving onto somewhere else.

2  Thank LizPdx
Reviewed 22 June 2021

Not sure if there are growing pains from the management change but the property felt outdated and not as clean. Staff was not especially welcoming or knowledgable, hours of activities did not match those provided by hotel, room was musty smelling and things that should be standard, like bottled water for the room, cost extra. And, while centrally located, one might be better served in a more resort like area of the island for a more vacation friendly vibe. Dukes, however, was terrific and a highlight whether staying here or not.

3  Thank JCDL5
Reviewed 15 June 2021

I stayed here before when it was a Marriott. We had an amazing time then. We got pushed out of our flight home, and looked to book this again as a splurge. I called to arrange the hotel shuttle, the man on the phone said it would be 10 minutes. After almost 30 minutes and a few calls with no shuttle. He made it seem like they were sending someone out to pick us up so I called again and was told we weren't there so he left??? We were then hung up on and told to wait our turn.
Booked through HotelsTonight under Marriott, when we got onsite there was a bit of confusion and finally we were directed toward another lobby for check in. At check in they wouldn't accept our QR code because we had already been on the island. After another 20 minutes we were finally accepted and given a room. We had gone several hours without food or water waiting at the airport, so I asked if there were any food options available. The only thing was room service and we rushed to the to to order. The entire time, my interactions with the staff lacked any care, or awareness. From the dude the hung up on us to the people letting me know it was going to be tap water for me until stuff opened the next am.
I was hoping for hospitality, for a break from the exhaustion of trying to get on a flight but not, ans from having to miss work another day. This is not what I got. Nice room though.

Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank CindyG908