“Laid-back coffee oasis”
Review of Hanalei Bread

Hanalei Bread
Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Hanalei
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

With an open-air, relaxed vibe this is a great spot to have a good strong coffee and enjoy an order of avocado toast or a fresh bakery treat. The staff are friendly and the place usually has a busy vibe, as far as busy can apply to this laid-back town.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Contrary to the other reviews for Hanalei Bread Co.'s coffee, I recommend avoiding the coffee at this café.

I ordered two "Maui Cold Brew Coffees," which at $6 for 16 oz is the most expensive cup of cold brew I've ever ordered. I was expecting coffee that was smooth, subtly sweet and rich with the fruity tastes of Hawaiian beans. The coffee that I received tasted extremely acidic, over-roasted, and had an aftertaste like that of plastic and vodka. (Over-roasted meaning that the beans themselves had been roasted too long before they were brewed, giving the coffee a burnt taste.) It tasted much more similar to hot coffee that was brewed and then put on ice than the gentle smoothness of cold brew coffee. (I make cold brew at home every week and have tasted/brewed hundreds of cups of coffee.) Try as I might, I just couldn't finish the cold brew.

I brought the drinks back to the shop and apologetically asked to swap for another beverage. The woman manning the till swapped the cold brews for iced coffees and even refunded me the difference (AWESOME). As grateful as I was for that, I did not appreciate her condescending tone while explaining that "cold brew has a strong taste and isn't for everyone." She responded to my claim about over-roasting by saying "cold brew is never brewed hot so it can't be over-roasted." So A+ for excellent service! D for the condescending tone.

(And I hate to say it, but the iced coffee we swapped for was thoroughly unimpressive as well. Over-roasted again.)

Overall I'm not sure what the deal was. I think the beans were likely over-roasted. And that the "cold brew" might have been hot-brewed coffee put on ice. Probably an exceptional case, but I can't be sure. Maybe it was an issue with my expectations, but I'll stick to my at-home cold brew next time.

1  Thank JimMcFarland
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had an early morning cup of coffee and breakfast on the way to the hiking trails. Nice spot for breakfast.

Reviewed 15 March 2018

You can tell by the line for coffee that this bakery has the best in Hanalei! Don't let the line scare you - it moves fairly fast. And after all, you are in Hanalei - time to relax.
We were staying in a rental house, so we bought bread here as well and you can also buy the coffee to take home. Excellent green juices.
Favorite was the brekkie sandwich, with a poached egg, cheese and bacon - you can add an extra egg. The bread is like a brioche so nice and light. Baked goods are also excellent - had a delicious croissant.
Best latte on the island in my opinion. Stopped back for lunch on our last day. The turkey BLT was superb! Served on toasted sour dough bread - it was huge! You could actually share this for two. Lots of choices - including pizza. There are not a lot of restaurants open for lunch in Hanalei (mostly dinner) - so this was a great find. The kitchen will be closed at 3:00 pm starting 03/18.

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Delicious and very good service.
Met friendly people sitting at a table since it was so crowded. Coffee is very good too.
Line moves quickly, so just wait 5 mins and eat the food, Tina.