Reviews (9 042)
1 440
3 527
2 935
1 440
All reviews ocean tower dolphin quest hilton waikoloa kona pool lagoon grill the big island pizza place chinese restaurant kamuela provision company buddha point boat ride swim with the dolphins fish huge resort boat service main lobby dolphin encounter
41 - 46 of 9 042 reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is our first time staying at this party and we are a party of 5. Two adults and 3 kids all under the age of 10. First off, Waikoloa is a massive property and my first piece of advice is to make sure that each time you park, DO NOT LEAVE anything behind you feel you may need. Turnaround time from parking lot to front door of your hotel room can be a daunting process. Which leads me to why this place reminds me of "Disneyland". You have 3 options to get from the main lobby to your room. 1) Walk (most towers can be reached within 10-15 mins-pretty long if you've been out and about most of the day or have a lot to lug) 2) boat (we never got the opportunity to use, but limited seating capacity and would advise not to use if you have your luggage with you) or 3) tram (be patient, it moves very slowly and can be full--we've found that at times, walking is much faster). The digital interface of the tram/boat times is not always accurate.

The staff are all very friendly and can offer you tips on how best to navigate the landscape, when to find turtles in the lagoon, or see the dolphins swimming around. Use them as resources (including reasonably priced places to eat outside of the hotel) The water slides are broken into two main water areas. The large water slide (which does require you to have a color wristband [be aware it changes each day]) to use, has someone monitoring it, and has a height requirement is located over by the Lagoon Tower. The smaller waterslides (best for toddlers) are over by Ocean Tower. However, adults can use it and only one (the fastest/shortest waterslide out of all them) requires a wristband. Our first night we checked in, I took my kids around 9 p.m. to do some fun night swimming using those baby slides.

Our room in the Palace Tower was sizeable and had a great partial ocean view. Ocean tower is undergoing some reconstruction so be wary when booking. Bathroom area was spacious and we had a small walk-in closet. Do note that elevators are slow and at times there can be large parties waiting to board two elevators for a tower that houses thousands. Not ideal.

I did eat breakfast at the breakfast buffet the hotel offered (apologies I can't recall the exact name of restaurant). It is a bit pricey, but they do offer continental or upgrade to hot breakfast options. In my opinion, the offerings for the continental breakfast were more than sufficient (scones, malasadas, fresh fruit, oatmeal, cereal, various pastries, donuts, etc.).

In terms of location, the property is towards the end of Waikoloa Village Drive. You can access the shopping center by bus if you want ($2/person) instead of taking your car in and out. I never used the bus, but if you stay out late, parking can be a nightmare when coming back to hotel--be prepared to park furthest from entrance. No trams or shuttle buses to bring you closer :( The shopping center has a large ABC store (quite pricey compared to mainland grocery stores) that offers everything you may need plus wonderful souvenir selections if you need to shop in a pinch. There is a food court as well that offers reasonably-priced options. Plenty of shopping, too.

Location wise, the Waikoloa is only a 25 minute drive from the airport. There's no private beach to access for use, though quite a few beaches within driving distance and closest one is less than 10 mins. away. Sunsets are worth the wait anywhere on the property. The art work is gorgeous and had we more time, I would've loved to just take time lingering a bit longer as I take my long walk back to the room.

I wish they had a better parking situation. There's one central parking lot and it's quite a feat to access easily or quickly no matter what tower you're staying in. If they had lots closer to Palace/Ocean tower to break up the logistics, it'd be better and more time efficient for guests.

However, we would gladly stay here at the property again, but would not hesitate to look at other hotel options nearby. The area where Hilton Waikoloa is at is wonderful. Do note staying on the north side of the Big Island, getting to Hilo or Kona is at least 45-60 mins. There is one major highway so plan your days accordingly.

Stayed: August 2018
3  Thank better3rd
HiltonWaikoloa, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay at our resort! Thank you so much for all of the feedback, as this helps us to make the necessary adjustments to improve. Hope we'll get to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Unlike most Hilton's our room at this huge facility was disappointing. It was clear that their was a great deal of much needed construction and room updating in process, unfortunately we were given one of the rooms still waiting for renovations. Toilet didn't always flush well, the closet was open and did not have a door, carpeting was stained, old furniture and refrigerator.
The reason I gave a 3 and not a 1 was the view from the room and facility amenities were very nice. Lots of great pools. The Lagoon Restaurant has a fabulous dolphin pool. Lots of amazing fish and turtles in the lagoon, which also has a nice beach. Restaurants are good, with very pleasant staff.
Did I mention the facility is HUGE, but not to worry there is a tram and boat rides to get you where you want to go. The valet service and staff are fantastic and will provide bottled water as needed for hiking.
All in all our disappointment was in our room and being in the middle of a construction site.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
HiltonWaikoloa, Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am are pleased knowing your overall stay was satisfactory, and I appreciate knowing where we have room for improvement. I apologize for your frustrations with your room. Our hotel is undergoing a property modernization during 2018. Ocean Tower construction is currently in progress and some rooms are still being renovated. Thank you for recognizing our best feature: our staff! We would be honored to welcome you back to our resort one day and show you all of our exciting new changes!

Aloha,
Simon tripadvisor@hiltonwaikoloavillage.com

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was our 1st time on the Big Island and we settled on the Hilton through a Costco travel package. We are used to the green of Kauai so when we were driving from the airport to the resort we were a little hesitant about what it was going to look like. But once we were there we were pleasantly surprised!It is very big so be prepared to either walk..a lot, or wait for the tram or the boat to take you around the resort. (We stayed in the Palace Tower and it was .4 miles to the lobby.) There is some construction going on. The main pool is shut down and they are upgrading the Ocean tower. So there is some construction noise; some days are better than others. One day we had to leave the adult only pool because we couldn't even hear ourselves talking.The lagoon is amazing! We spent most of our days there. There are so many Sea Turtles you are guaranteed to see 2 or 3 each time you are in the water. There are also many restaurant options on the property, as well as just a mile down the road. However we had a spectacular dinner one night at KPC. Ocean front dinning at sunset!!!I gave it a 4 rating because of the construction however we will stay here again when we return to the Big Island.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay and all of the activities at our resort -- especially swimming with the sea turtles in the lagoon! I apologize for the construction noise. We're almost done with construction on the Ocean Tower, so when you return, you shouldn't have to deal with the noise anymore! Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Typical Hawaiian resort facility. Would have given it five stars but could not due to two things- ridiculous charges for resort fees and then parking fees. The parking fees are higher than midtown Manhattan parking fees during the work week!!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay at our resort. That said, I'm sorry that you weren't aware of the resort fees and parking fees that go into staying here. I appreciate your feedback, and I hope we'll see you again in the future!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great hospitality. Would recommend to couples or families. Definitely would love to stay here again! Only con was the room bed sheets had stains & coffee machine was broken but they replaced quickly! Very efficient & helpful staff.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

So glad you enjoyed your stay at our resort! Hoping we'll see you back here again in the future.