Reviews (9 311)
1 490
3 629
2 999
1 490
All reviews ocean tower dolphin quest hilton waikoloa kona pool lagoon grill the big island chinese restaurant kamuela provision company boat ride swim with the dolphins buddha point fish boat service huge resort dolphin encounter main lobby water slides
1 190 - 1 195 of 9 312 reviews
Reviewed 17 October 2017

We visited Hilton Waikaloa Village with family, including two small children, and found it an excellent place for a family vacation. The pools, waterslides, and private lagoon provided numerous recreational activities and the staff were all great.
While the landscaping is beautiful and well maintained, this is a giant place with many hills and bridges so folks with mobility issues might not find this a good choice. We had a stroller and it was sometimes challenging to find a route to a particular location that didn't include steps. More than once we ended up carrying the stroller over a bridge: there always IS a step-free route but it may be hard to find.

Our plan included "continental breakfast" which we enjoyed very much, but the referenced continent is Asia and the food items were mostly not European or American which might not appeal to everyone. Overall this was a good vacation spot and we will likely return.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank MichaelK885
HiltonWaikoloa, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Aloha, Michael. We were pleased to host you and your family while you all enjoyed some great vacation time. Taking your valuable time to spend it with us is why we strive to make each stay perfect. I hope you’ll return and allow us to serve you again.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Hilton at Waikoloa Village is spectacular, they have an amazing Hindu/Buddist pieces collection including a Buddha at the end of the facilities that are more than perfectly located and give the hotel that spiritual touch that helps with the relaxing experience. On the other hand I strongly oppose wild animals captivity and the have a pool with dolphins for people to swim with them that lowered my perception of the hotel's quality.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank 352indirad

Mahalo for taking a moment to share some comments with us about your stay, Indira. The organization that we partner with, Dolphin Quest, takes excellent care of the dolphins, and we treat all of the wildlife on our grounds with kindness and dignity. I encourage you to reach out to them if you would like more information on their efforts.

Aloha,

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Although expensive, like most of the hotels in this area, it is definitely a great place to stay. My only complaint about this place is there tram between the hotel rooms and the main entrance / conference rooms. The tram is very very very very slow and if you hit at the wrong time you're waiting over 15 minutes for it, and which you might as well just walk. It's a great walk just doing it over and over again gets really irritating. I wish the tram came by more often. Other than that the Lagoon was pretty awesome swimming with turtles and see life. The hallways are filled with artifacts and history. And our room was excellent!

1  Thank Blgjmd2

We know that our large resort has a lot to offer and a lot of travel to cover it. Our grounds, tram, and boats are designed to help our guests slow down and take in their surroundings on the island. I'm sorry of traversing from your room to other locations was a bit more than you had counted on. We truly appreciate the feedback you've offered us. Until we meet again.

Aloha,

Reviewed 17 October 2017

I would not choose to stay at the Hilton Waikoloa again in the future. Although staff were friendly and welcoming, I was not impressed by the Hotel room or the facilities. It seems like this hotel has been stuck in the 80s. The elevators smell bad, like the carpet hasn't been changed since the place was built and move at snail pace. Our room reservation was at Lagoon tower (apparently one of the newer towers) and the bathroom shower curtain had a horrible foul/sour odor, the bathroom door was broken and was off track to the point where the door could not slide closed, and the room fridge smelled like rotten cheese burgers. Also, there were ants all over the TV/dresser stand and the side table, room floors and carpets felt dirty where my bare feet would turn black after walking on the floors, and the AC in the room was not only noisy but constantly blew air directly on the bed, which made sleeping too cold/uncomfortable (too hot if AC turned off). I do give credit to the hotel for replenishing and providing bottles of water daily as well as stocking the Keurig. As far as the facilities goes, I was not impressed by the fish ponds running through the hotel as it appeared very overgrown with algae to the point where you can't even see the fish. And the water just looks disgusting.The tram running through the hotel was all hype. It's so slow and takes so long that it's way faster to just walk to where you need to be. I had friends staying at an Air BnB just behind the hotel and they had a 3 bedroom condo with a kitchen, washer/dryer, pool, and gym for the same price which sounded like a better deal. Overall, very disappointed

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I'm pleased that our staff was welcoming and helpful during your stay, but it is unfortunate to hear about the issues you encountered with your accommodations. We continue to gather feedback from our guests to help us focus on what can make their experiences better. We do have some pending upgrades and changes in-store for our towers, and I hope we'll have a chance to show you an even better time in the future.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

First, the positives. The site for this resort is a beautiful stretch of volcanic shoreline on the sunny Kona coast. The water is gloriously blue and warm. Although I didn't experience it, friends swam with dolphins in the lagoon, which was a magical experience for them. The hotel staff were extremely helpful, kind, and welcoming--pure aloha. My room was spacious, clean, and well-cared for by the cleaning staff. The conference rooms were clean and comfortable.

Now the negatives. Food was astoundingly expensive. Example: 12" pizza cost $40 + a $5 delivery fee. I kid you not. So I didn't eat in the hotel restaurants. Next, the mynah birds. A large flock of them roosted in the palms outside of my room in the Ocean Towers, and made a loud racket at dawn and dusk. That wasn't as much of a concern as the mess they left. I'll leave you to imagine the type of mess. Finally, yes, the resort is self-contained but also rather isolated from restaurants with reasonable prices, although one could walk there if you had the time and energy. Finally, although the rooms had small refrigerators, they lacked microwaves.

So, here's my advice if you go there. Rent a car at the Kona airport. Travel between the airport and the hotel (20 min drive) would cost you $55 minimum one way, so you would save on van or taxi fees of at least $100. A car would enable you to by groceries, either non-perishable, those that would fit in the small refrig, and those which could be prepared by the hot water heated in the coffee maker in your room. The car would also enable you to eat at some very nice food courts a short drive away in two shopping centers (Queen's and King's). The rental car would likely more than pay for itself from the money saved for the trips between the hotel and the airport, plus the hundreds (or more) dollars you will save on food. Finally the car would enable to explore other beautiful sights on the Big Island, one of my favorite places on earth,

Room tip: Avoid Ocean Tower rooms near the palm trees in the internal courtyard--they are full of loud and dirty mynah birds.
Date of stay: September 2017
3  Thank moudan

Aloha, Dan. Aloha, we appreciate the feedback from our guests. It is a valued part of our efforts to refine our services and offerings. Our team enjoys sharing the aloha spirit and helping our guests to make long lasting memories. It's nice of you to share some tips based off of your experiences with us. I'm sure some guests will find this helpful to their own stay. Until we meet again.