All reviews juice fresh baked bread water tower volcano village national park gas fireplace the main house the big island every afternoon a lovely stay bed was comfortable grounds are beautiful master bedroom two nights continental breakfast after a long day the location is perfect
Reviewed 23 January 2018

First impressions can fool ya, like this place, pleasant setting.

But wait, do you want to know what living in a "Little House" is like than grab one of the four units described as bedrooms, wow you have a very small alleged "Queen bed" two chairs and an aisle to a pleasant but totally inefficient bathroom, the room is freezing, no heat, supposedly heated floor, not so.

This is a throw back place, you are only going to stay here at the most two days most likely one day so why not over pay $200 for this whey overpriced property.

In a Yelp review I likened this place to experiencing a "Little House experience".
because you get to eat your breakfast here, once you are here figure this out. We had two totally overripe papaya, an alleged banana bread loaf and decent Guava Juice.

You can do much better if stuck in Volcano, but going on down and having decent accomodation's in Hilo makes sense. If you enjoy the charm of $200 Micro accomodation's with limited food this is the place for you.

Room Tip: This could be one of your least likeable rooms ever
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David W
HaleOhia, Owner at Hale Ohia Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2018

Mr David W, Here we go.

I appreciate the opportunity to tell potential guests what really happened while you visited Hale Ohia.
You booked a no cancellation two night reservation and decided to leave a day early.....no reason given. Staff offered to try and rebook your room as a favor. We were unable to rebook your room. You implied you called B.com and the room was booked. B.com had nothing to do with your reservation nor was it booked. Only the facts ma'am, although we seem to be living in a age where facts don't seem to matter. Below are emails you sent. I won't list all of them but enough to give someone reading an idea of your upleasant manner and threats:

"Or perhaps it was taken off Bookings.com when a cash payment was made on Saturday afternoon, either way it does not smell right and not the right thing to do.
Believe me I will make you "earn" every dollar you gained."

"one last word of advise I have a friend in Lexington, KY who actually knows Michael Tuttle."

"How long does it take to review a simple problem?
If you are refusing to acknowledge that the unit was re rented so be it, but watch the consequense's."

"just a head's up I can get to Michael on Monday on LindedIn, I am not taking your accusations "llitely"."

I accept that you are angry but will not accept or be responsible for your missinterpretation of me or the facts.
I think people will see thru your rage and attempt to slander me and my business.

Michael Tuttle
Owner

Reviewed 16 January 2018

My family is pretty picky on accommodation so I need to book nice places to keep them happy. I endeavour to do so. This fell well short of the mark, and of my expectations having read the TripAdvisor reviews. I had picked on of the most expensive places hoping it would reflect extra quality and care.
Our 3 bdr cottage was a pretty average holiday rental, with old and warn furniture, cracked and chipped paint and a bathroom that needed a total refresh (rusting fittings, old shower curtain.....). Some might see some old world "charm" we could not.
When we left our previous accommodation my daughter asked whether we should bring some on toiletries with us (shampoo etc), I confidently said no, assuming this would be of a standard where quality toiletries would be supplied. Again I was very wrong. In our shower there was a half used family size bottle of Pears shampoo.......really off-putting. I still don't know if it was supplied for our use, or accidentally left by prior occupants (and not cleaned). Either way a very bad look. The breakfast was less than I hoped for. There was fresh banana bread and some fruit, and a whole load of supermarket muesli bars....
My main problem with this place was expectations and price. Had I thought (and paid for) a below average B&B, I would have nothing to complain about. But I thought and paid for a lot more than that.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank David S
HaleOhia, Owner at Hale Ohia Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2018

Hello David,
So sorry you found the cottage below your expectations and price point.
We do not leave used shampoo in the shower, and it was Dove, not Pears...............We refill shampoo rather than fill the dump with those little plastic bottles.
Did you make your thoughts known to the staff?
I always like, as owner to try and make right, whatever we can. I have been doing this over 25 years and find that 99.9% of the families at our property are delighted and even grateful that we accept children.
Price?? Ours are below Hawaii and Big Island averages for all our units.
Ratings are interesting. I ask guests what do they think when they see two stars versus 5 stars?
Hale Ohia has pleased guests for years. It is obviously not the perfect match for everyone, but we try.
Hope you had a great rest of your trip.

Mike, Owner

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

We had the Camillia room which was probably the smallest one. It was nice but dated. There is no TV so we played cards instead. The walls are somewhat thin so we did not talk loudly. Other than that is was very nice. The breakfast was in the room when we got there and was also good. The people at the desk were very friendly and helpful. We do recommend looking at dinner options when you make the reservation if you want one of the nicer places to eat supper in the area.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
HaleOhia, Front Desk at Hale Ohia Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

Aloha Frank,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, and for being considerate of other guests, in our one of our most historical little rooms. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here with us, and safe travels to you.

Mahalo!

Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

It’s a cute if somewhat modest B&B. The room was ok - a bit small, a bit cold, and a bit old... but nothing really wrong either. Easy parking on site, and great location for anything in volcano national park. Staff are available during business hours, otherwise you’re on your own. The breakfast left in our room was simple, but nice: papaya with lime, and some banana bread. All very tasty. All in all: not much luxury, but a good place to crash.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Aloha Daniel,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We do offer rooms, and Cottages of all varieties, and find that people really love the history of our property. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here with us, and safe travels to you.

Mahalo!

Reviewed 25 December 2017

We absolutely loved our stay in Volcano. The Hale Ohia is located only a few miles from the entrance of Volcanoes National Park and just a block away from the Volcano "business district" -- aka there is 1 street with a handful of restaurants. Important to know that you may need a reservation for your party to eat out in the evening!! However, the Hale Ohia provides all the information you would need.

We stayed in the "Master bedroom in the main house" - we had plenty of room and enjoyed the fresh baked bread, bananas & papayas that were provided for breakfast. This place was super quiet, cozy and romantic. We will definitely recommend to anyone Volcano travelers in the future!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
HaleOhia, Front Desk at Hale Ohia Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2017

Aloha!

Thank you for your kind and detailed review. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay here with us, and would be happy to host you as our guests again someday!!

Safe travels to you.