Reviews (2 087)
2 087 results
All reviews coconut island ocean view queen's court seafood buffet banyan trees mauna kea the big island banyan drive liliuokalani gardens japanese garden bit dated beautiful park national park close to the airport an older hotel ken's pancake house stayed one night
13 - 18 of 2 087 reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After having a very bad experience with a rental property down the road from Castle Hilo, they got me a room late in the evening and at a very reasonable rate. They could have gauged me as I was obviously desperate to leave the creepy place we came from but they were amazing...and the room and view...WOW!
It was dark so we didn't see much of the view at first but it took our breathe away when we woke up to the ocean right in front of us! Sitting on the porch drinking the coffee from the room...ahhhh. We had a huge breakfast and, while more than we normally pay for a breakfast, it had so many options!
We were only booked for two nights before scheduled to head to the other side of the island but would have stayed if we didn't already have plans. There are several aspects of the property that also show their efforts to create wheelchair access throughout the property.
Without question, this is a place we will visit again if ever back in Hilo, Hawaii! :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean and with a balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

The hotel has a great location and the rooms are clean and spacious. However the staff is not very attentive or accommodating especially considering the price you are paying per night. We had no parking space because they let non hotel guests park in the parking lot and when I spoke to staff they said sorry-parking is first come first serve. Basically-sorry but we don’t care. Also Leslie, the supposed concierge, never looked up or greeted anyone and stared at his computer the whole time. Overall for the price I paid I expected more from the staff. We chose the Hilo Hawaiian because of its reputation but were disappointed.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sheilam1987
Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

If you are thinking of visiting Hilo or Volcanoes National Park this is a great central place to stay!

The hallways and certain areas take you back to hotels of the 70s/80s but inside, the room was large, clean with effective A/C and very comfy beds.

Also, their cafe is open all the time (I think) and had great coffee/snacks available. We got breakfast to go the next morning from Queen's Court before our flight and were pleasantly surprised by the portion and quality of the food. They also did a great job packaging it for us with all the condiments/utensils included and things in different boxes so they did not get soggy.

It's across the street from this park which is a beautiful place to relax and read a book or have a picnic. They also had plentiful free parking.

Overall, we would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Megha A
Reviewed 3 October 2018

When I planned my vacation to Hawaii Island for early September 2018, my plan was to stay at Honu Kai Bed and Breakfast (Kailua-Kona) and then, halfway through the vacation, transfer to Volcano House to tour Volcano National Park. Fate had other plans (the Eastern Rift eruptions). So I asked the folks at Honu Kai where I could stay on the Hilo side, and they said when in Hilo they always stayed at Castle Hilo Hawaiian.

I had a wonderful stay at this hotel. I slept in a clean, quiet room. Each night, I enjoyed a fruit smoothie at Waioli Restaurant downstairs (Matthew made it just the way I liked it). Each day, I took a walk in nearby Lili'uokalani Park and Gardens. Local tour vans will pick you up right in front of this hotel on their way to Volcano National Park and other local attractions. Castle Hilo Hawaiian is in a beautiful location on Hilo Bay, has a spacious parking lot, and there are many nearby restaurants. The front desk staff and concierge go out of their way to be helpful.

Many first-time visitors to Hawaii Island wonder if they should just base themselves in Kailua-Kona (or Kohala) for their vacation, or also book lodging on the Hilo side. I suggest the latter. Hawaii Island is nicknamed the "Big Island," and it is big! Additionally, the Kona and Hilo coasts are entirely different. The former, on the leeward side of the island, is a desert with a lava landscape. The latter, on the windward side, is lush and tropical. I was grateful I decided to stay on both sides and immerse myself in both locations.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 October 2018

Very good hotel - rooms lovely and ocean view very nice. The only thing missing is having a safe in the room for valuables. We were swapped to this hotel after the Volcano House Hotel where we had planned to stay was closed. It's a good hotel with good service, friendly staff and good facilities. Nice restaurant on site and plenty of parking. Good location.

Room Tip: Ocean view if you can stretch to it
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends