“Consistently delicious!”

Ranked #11 of 30 Restaurants in Saint Germain
Price range: US$8 - US$29
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional Supper Club conveniently located in St. Germain with easy Highway 70 access and plenty of parking. A great steak menu, prime rib, duck and German specialties. Featuring an exceptionally stocked bar and the best by-the-glass wine list in the Northwoods. Open Monday - Saturday from 4pm. Closed on Thanksgiving night, Christmas and Christmas Eve.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have been dining at the Golden Pines for...(I can't remember how many years!). Over the years we've brought family, friends, business associates, clients and even a former Wisconsin Governor to this classic north woods supper club. The beautiful historic log structure, the great staff, friendly atmosphere and great menu is a perfect combination that isn't always easy to find. The German ethnic specialties, duck, almond encrusted walleye and chicken, prime rib, veal, are all some of our favorites. The 'all-pro' bar staff serves up drinks in the long remembered tradition of Wisconsin supper clubs. The wine list is the best around and the prices are very reasonable. These are all the reasons why we keep returning to the Golden Pines.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Ate here in June 2018. Have been visiting the northwoods for 40+ years and been eating here for 20+. The food used to be great but has totally gone downhill. Beef noodle soup tasted like an ashtray. $8 extra for shrimp for daughters pasta? 3 rubbery shrimp. Open faced prime rib beef sandwich ordered medium rare? Came to table completely well done, almost like shoe leather. Horrendous. Vegetable sides were broccoli and overcooked, bland zucchini. Salmon was overcooked and covered in flavorless buerre blanc. I believe the ownership has changed. This place is simply not what is used to be which sucks cause we loved going here for years. Our table of 8 spent $240. 240 bucks for one of the worst meals of my life. Talk about pouring salt on the wound (sort of ironic as their food lacked seasoning).

There it is. Make your own decision. I never write reviews on this or any other site but felt it was totally necessary here as the meal was historically bad. If your going to charge your diners this kind of money, how about putting a bit of effort into food prep and maybe start with good ingredients.

Later...

1  Thank Chicago G
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

We had been going to Golden pines for years but as is slowly declined we stopped going ! But then we heard about new owners that where turning the place around so we where excited to return. Well it was better but still needs a lot of work! The service was very poor to begin with . Never received the breadsticks that we saw at other tables and the server was hard to find and seemed in a rush. The food was so so. First was our overpriced appetizer that wasn’t enough to feed a bird. Then my wife ordered a blue cheese stuffed filet. Well I wouldn’t call it stuffed as there was only about 20% of the filet that had blue cheese in it. Then my 20 oz prime rib that looked to be about 15 oz on a good day was ice cold. I had to ask for horseradish sauce and that took forever. The fresh veggies where a good change on the entrees. When are bill came and it was over $100 for the 2 of us for a couple drinks each, and extremely small shared appetizer and 2 so so entrees we decided things hadn’t changed enough to spend the kind of money anytime soon.

1  Thank Walleye67
Reviewed 21 May 2018

My family of 3 had dinner at Golden Pines Restaurant on Saturday, May 19th, 2018. As usual, Ted the Bartender did an EXCELLENT job on our cocktails before dinner. But, after that our experience SLID downhill fast. I had been coming to this restaurant since I was 8 years old and it was always a favorite up north dining spot. Golden Pines represented consistently great food and wonderful service. But, this time was different. The waitresses were confused and anxious. Only certain tables received the appetizer baskets. The prices had skyrocketed. Both of the sirloin steak dinners had been taken off of the menu. WHAT??? My husband's duck was dry and flavorless. My son's chicken breast was overcooked and dry. My prime rib was NO WHERE NEAR 20 oz. The pine cone potatoes were no where to be seen. We spoke to the waitress who looked at us full of anxiety and dread and she said, "They are trying to turn the place into a Fine Dining Restaurant". That must translate into "an overpriced, lousy food and horrible service restaurant". Look, locals and others alike have been coming to Golden Pines for years. It was wonderful. Why does the "new management" want to ruin what the place was known for for years??? Mark my word, your customers are not stupid. If these things don't change you will go out of business. May I repeat....IF THESE THINGS DON'T CHANGE YOU WILL GO OUT OF BUSINESS. You may think you can make it on the Illinois crowd, but you NEED the locals and the other people that were regulars. Just remember, there is plenty of competition in the area that can and will wipe you off the map.

Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

Staff are great. Very attentive and helpful. Almond crusted walleye was recommended and it melted in your mouth. Husband had the fish fry and it was very good.