“Great Atmosphere”

Vino in the Valley
Price range: US$12 - US$24
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The hours for Vino In The Valley vary seasonally. For current hours visit our website
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Beautiful location, great people and good food and Vino!
Unexpected experience in a small valley near Ellsworth, the staff was so friendly and helpful. Great night! Thanks Pat and Larry

Reviewed 1 February 2018

This is a very unique place to visit. The food and wine was very good. I highly recommend. Get there early as it fills up fast. They only take reservations for large groups.

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

My family and I visited on customer appreciation weekend, we knew it would be busy and were prepared to wait for a table. There was plenty of parking and vendors set up on the grassy area in front of the restaurant that gave us something to do while we waited. Unfortunately, it rained so we spent most of the time huddled under tents and umbrellas at the tables that were set up. The view of the vines and valley and even the drive in was really impressive and worth the trip.

Wine list provided a lot of options, I wouldn’t say it was terribly extensive but it provided enough options for anyone who isn’t a connoisseur and the bartender let us taste before we bought so that was very much appreciated! The outdoor area really was gorgeous, there was a fire pit and plenty of seats and tables where you could enjoy your bottle!

I must say - I looked through the food pictures that others have posted and am really disappointed in the quality of meal that we received. I understand that after this review, I’ll probably get a response from the owner with a bunch of excuses about how it was a busy weekend but as a diner, you get one chance to impress me and at those food prices, you should have your kitchen together before I drop that much money at your restaurant. To start - the bread was great, warm and toasty served with oil and pepper, it was a perfect addition to the wine we were enjoying. It was the entrees that took a sharp dive downhill and prevented us from even thinking about dessert.

My husband’s $24/25 chicken parmigiana was overpriced and bland. The chicken portion was the size of the palm of my hand, which is great from a Weight Watchers perspective but you could get the same amount in one of their frozen meals for five bucks. The pasta was far from al dente, it was over cooked and mushy and the tomato sauce reminded me of when my mother used to put ketchup on noodles when I was a child. I had a sausage pasta dish that was so saturated with oil that I could only eat pieces from the top without gagging, I’m not being dramatic here and have included a picture for reference. That dish was also around 20 dollars or so. And yes, I should have sent my dish back but I was dining with my in-laws and frankly I have better manners than to complain about a meal in front of them, especially because they think that this place is really the bees knees (but - they also frequent Perkins if that gives you an idea of their idea of what good food is).

Service was ok, all in all it was a fun atmosphere but go for the wine and the scenery and skip the food, I can’t say that I’ll return with the number of outstanding Italian restaurants in the Twin Cities to choose from, though.

Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

We’ve always been curious of this restaurant and its picturesque location. We made this happen last Saturday and drove an hour to check it out as well as the Rush River Tree Farm to cut our Christmas tree, which is adjacent to it. It was a beautiful day to drive and spend a fun family day. Rush River Tree Farm and it’s management was wonderful and was impressed by the service. I wish we could say the same thing to Vino in the Valley. The minute we stepped inside, their lackluster service was immediately evident. There is no front person to coordinate and brief the crowd of waiting customers on how the seating works. After waiting for a lengthy time, we were finally seated and orders were taken. We waited an hour with occasional assurance that our orders are coming. An hour passed, our waitress finally informed us that somebody took our pizza and served it to a different table and asked us if we want to wait for them to make our food. After almost 2 hours in this place with 2 hungry kids, obviously we told her no. Then she handed us our bill with no apology. None! Just handed us our bill and told us where we’re supposed to pay. We were in shock and livid! Even the people occupying the opposite table expressed their disbelief with the poor and abrasive service. Shocked, we gathered our famished kids and couldn’t wait to leave the place. We went to the cashier and told her what happened and suggested diplomatically that they should better their service next time. She just looked at us apathetically, checked our bill then said, ‘oh they forgot to include the nachos in there. Wait I need to add it to your bill’. Again, no apologies or even an attempt to ease the situation. All along we were calm but also determined to express our displeasure. I have my own service-oriented business and I’ve never encountered a poor, lacking customer service like this establishment, by not 1 but 2 employees! We didn’t want a free meal and didn’t expressed that but at least the decency of an apology. It was our first time and will be our last. What a first impression. What a shame as it is a beautiful place but if service is poor, it overshadows the facade. Excellent customer service goes a long way.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

This is more of restaurant than a winery. It is an Italian restaurant with a nice selection of items on their menu to please anybody. They also have a wonderful list of local craft beers and white or red wines. There are only 3 wines that are produced by Vino. If you go be ready for a drive to the middle of nowhere. It is a beautiful drive, but you will wonder if your GPS is correct as you wind through the country roads. You will end up in a beautiful valley surrounded by wooded bluffs and the grapevines. It is truly one of those places that says "if you build it, they will come." If you aren't there when they open, be ready to wait. It is always crowded. It is worth the wait. The meal starts with home baked bread served with olive oil and parmesan cheese. We had stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer. They were so good and NOT soaked in butter like most other places. The mushrooms are stuffed with Italian sausage, roasted red pepper, cream cheese, herbs and spices. I had the spicy shrimp and andouille linguini
served in a spicy garlic tomato cream sauce. It only had 3 shrimp; however, there was plenty of andouille sausage. My husband had the butternut squash ravioli. It was creamy with the sweetness of the squash. The portions were generous.We didn't order the nachos, but saw it being served. It is a HUGE plate. Atmosphere = A, Food = A, the long drive = C