“A special hotel”

Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Punta Islita
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 August 2017

Stayed en famille five nights July 2017. Wonderful quiet spot about 5 hours' drive from San Jose airport. Villas are large and welcoming - large windows and effective aircon. Lots of stairs so probably not for the frail. Food not much better than average for Costa Rica but priced as though it is (i.e. don't come here for the food, hence I'd give it 4 rather than 5/5) but breakfasts are excellent.

If I say the hotel has an appealing, slightly ramshackle air this isn't meant as a criticism. Everything works, the rooms have wifi and the staff are delightful. It has character. Gym is smallish but at least it's there. Lots of animals; howler monkeys in the jungle next door to the hotel; scarlet macaws and iguanas on the terrace outside the breakfast buffet; an armadillo crossed our villa lawn most days at 4pm sharp. The children loved it. Worth a return visit.

Room Tip: Room 303 is apparently the best.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Wonderful to have provided a quiet spot to enjoy Costa Rica's intense beach hacienda lifestyles and adventures. Our rugged vibe conjures the charm of a traditional Costa Rican finca and we are delighted that it will draw you in for a return visit. Saludos!

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

Have been to CR 3 times - this is my one of my favorite places for a variety of reasons. The service is wonderful - Christina, Marvin, restaurant staff, housekeeping - all polite, warm & attentive. Our beautiful room overlooked the ocean with a drop-dead gorgeous view. I loved relaxing in the hammock and was visited by hummingbirds and a small iguana. The bed was fantastic. We did have some stairs to climb but not a problem and they delivered our luggage. The vans are always readily available to take you to the beach or town or even cheaper local restaurants. I highly recommend signing up for your activities as soon as arriving - even though it was rainy/low season, some had already filled up with large family groups. I thoroughly enjoyed the early AM Monkey walk - I wish I could recall the young guide's name - as he was SO enthusiastic, kind and patient. He hunted all over until locating them and then set up his viewing scope so everyone could get a turn. Then he carefully took close-up photos for every single person/kid who asked. Also enjoyed the Breadmaking tour - this was added as a late offering since the kayaking was cancelled (rain). Marvin accompanied us and he was a hoot. He patiently interpreted and answered so many questions while we sat around their table. Absolutely loved this trip as the women were warm, welcoming and so talented. The bread and coffee - wow - simply prepared but absolutely delicious. They also sell crafts that directly support the women and their families so if you are looking for souvenirs, please go there to spend your $$!!
**Here is one caveat: the roads are tough getting there during rainy season - and we've driven all over CR. My husband was driving back & forth daily to Nicoya for work in a 4x4. He was literally stopped in the middle of the road by a wildly waving local while returning (about 2/3 there). The local animatedly warned him not to proceed as the road was too dangerous from heavy rain and it was after dark. He had no choice though and said it was one of the most harrowing drives of his long life. We had to regretfully leave a day early as the weather report predicted more (not surprising) and he was unwilling to take the risk after dark one more time. We asked for a day's refund due to the extenuating circumstances but was told that was against policy and the hotel was not responsible for road upkeep off property. So, while we thoroughly loved Hotel Punta Islita, our departure was "difficult". I would do my best to avoid the transport to/from after dark - especially during rainy season.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank doctorbubba
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

It was a pleasure to be your hosts. Knowing that we were able to provide many wonderful experiences that accentuate Costa Rica's charms is highly motivating. Warmest regards!

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

This was one of the best hotels I've stayed in. I travel a lot! The service was incredible. The service was actually the best I've ever experienced. There was so much fun stuff to do and everything was easily accommodated. Marvin and Ronald viales were amazing! I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone. The scenery was stunning and the grounds extraordinary beautiful.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

We are thrilled that you found many reasons to cheer about your stay. It was a pleasure to be your hosts. Our goal is to provide amazing opportunities to experience Costa Rica to the fullest.

Reviewed 29 July 2017

This hotel might not be reliable honoring your reservation. I was told I was being upgrade (as Platinum). Instead I was downgraded. I was given a room with a bed and deck with an outdated bathroom. It was called suite (room 28). I never complained about the room. I never demanded to be upgraded. Upgrades are courtesies. The afternoon before I left I wanted to see what kind of upgrade I have had since they have better rooms. I was given a one night credit for having been told I was upgrade when I never was. I reserved a "junior suite with sofa bed, ocean view". I only found my reservation about two hours before checking out. Suddenly, my "suite" became a "junior suite". it was prepaid since February. There are 8 junior suites. I should have gotten one since it was prepaid and reserved since February. The justifications and explanations about what transpired have not been honest. Anyone involved in this matter was very nice an polite. I have been taking students and university employees for 21 years to Costa Rica. I do all my groups through the Marriott in Costa Rica. I stll have to find a rude "tico". This place makes you prepaid. Careful. Recommendation: do not prepay (there many other beautitful places in CR they do not have this system). Walk in with your reservation in hand and demand what you paid for. I had never had to contact Marriott Customer Service after 30 years of membership. Never had a issue at a Marriott hotel but i felt I had to contact them this time. They need to have someone reliable taking care of reservations and honoring them. I was investigating two new sites for my alumni/faculty groups: Punta Islita and El Mangroove. Big difference.

Room Tip: Most rooms, if not all, I believe might have ocean views.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2017

Thanks for celebrating our staff's attentive and polite demeanor. They are an amazing team of professionals that are proud and excited to showcase Costa Rica's cultural and natural wonders. As we have communicated to you, we regret that a series of misunderstandings regarding your reservation resulted in a less than ideal vacation experience. We were glad to grant compensation in good faith and we certainly appreciate your direct and honest feedback. Warm regards.

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

We spent three nights/four days at this absolutely wonderful hotel as the second half of our first trip to Costa Rica. We drove to Punta Islita from the Arenal Volcano area. It was a long but beautiful drive. I cannot say enough about the staff, from the moment you check in and on. The rooms were beautiful but not overdone. The service was friendly and warm. All the activities we did--yoga, monkey hikes, cooking and cocktails--were great. The beach is lovely and we actually enjoyed the walk up and down to get there. The food was great, and the cake served on my birthday was fantastic. We will definitely be back! Thank you to all the staff for making our first trip to Costa Rica truly memorable.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2017

Happy Birthday again Jenni and thanks so much for letting us be your gateway to Costa Rica. We hope you return very soon! There are many more adventures to be enjoyed :)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Islita
8.8 km away
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
#3 of 7 in Playa Carrillo

Been to Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!