“Not upgrade but downgrade”

Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Punta Islita
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 July 2017

This hotel might not be reliable honoring your reservation. I was told I was being upgrade (as Platinum). Instead I was downgraded. I was given a room with a bed and deck with an outdated bathroom. It was called suite (room 28). I never complained about the room. I never demanded to be upgraded. Upgrades are courtesies. The afternoon before I left I wanted to see what kind of upgrade I have had since they have better rooms. I was given a one night credit for having been told I was upgrade when I never was. I reserved a "junior suite with sofa bed, ocean view". I only found my reservation about two hours before checking out. Suddenly, my "suite" became a "junior suite". it was prepaid since February. There are 8 junior suites. I should have gotten one since it was prepaid and reserved since February. The justifications and explanations about what transpired have not been honest. Anyone involved in this matter was very nice an polite. I have been taking students and university employees for 21 years to Costa Rica. I do all my groups through the Marriott in Costa Rica. I stll have to find a rude "tico". This place makes you prepaid. Careful. Recommendation: do not prepay (there many other beautitful places in CR they do not have this system). Walk in with your reservation in hand and demand what you paid for. I had never had to contact Marriott Customer Service after 30 years of membership. Never had a issue at a Marriott hotel but i felt I had to contact them this time. They need to have someone reliable taking care of reservations and honoring them. I was investigating two new sites for my alumni/faculty groups: Punta Islita and El Mangroove. Big difference.

Room Tip: Most rooms, if not all, I believe might have ocean views.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2017

Thanks for celebrating our staff's attentive and polite demeanor. They are an amazing team of professionals that are proud and excited to showcase Costa Rica's cultural and natural wonders. As we have communicated to you, we regret that a series of misunderstandings regarding your reservation resulted in a less than ideal vacation experience. We were glad to grant compensation in good faith and we certainly appreciate your direct and honest feedback. Warm regards.

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

We spent three nights/four days at this absolutely wonderful hotel as the second half of our first trip to Costa Rica. We drove to Punta Islita from the Arenal Volcano area. It was a long but beautiful drive. I cannot say enough about the staff, from the moment you check in and on. The rooms were beautiful but not overdone. The service was friendly and warm. All the activities we did--yoga, monkey hikes, cooking and cocktails--were great. The beach is lovely and we actually enjoyed the walk up and down to get there. The food was great, and the cake served on my birthday was fantastic. We will definitely be back! Thank you to all the staff for making our first trip to Costa Rica truly memorable.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2017

Happy Birthday again Jenni and thanks so much for letting us be your gateway to Costa Rica. We hope you return very soon! There are many more adventures to be enjoyed :)

Reviewed 23 July 2017

Hidden paradise in central america. This hotel is fabulous and the people there are the best. Never have been in a resort that I have learned almost all the names of the staffs and here they are so friendly that you do not want to miss their names the next time you say hello to them: Rodrigo, Marco, Cristina, Margarita, Mauricio, Joe, Viales, Jairo, Sergio, Miguel....oh my God....all of them are fantastic....This hotel and this people really know how to make you feel special....We got an upgrade in our room and we got a private cabin with our private pool...they have adventure and activities for all the family, be sure you maximize your time and take advantage of most of these. We did: Golf, horseback riding, zipline, hiking, bird watching, monkey hike.....my wife loved the SAP and Yoga (both of the girls were amazing she told me)....my son did surfing for three days (Cristian, the surf instructor is very friendly and know his stuff)....hotel facilities are very beautiful....the small town close to the hotel is also charming....We also enjoyed the rain, that it was a lot in this time of the year.....Enjoying he pictures and memories now.....but we will be back with more extended family members.....Pura Vida....

Room Tip: Small private cabins with jacuzzis are fantastic
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

Setting a stage for families to enjoy bonding experiences makes our staff tick! Thanks for giving a nod to their enthusiasm, hospitality, and friendship. We are thrilled that you fully enjoyed the many complimentary activities we offer, and thank you for taking the time to visit and explore our surroundings. The Islita Community is charming, welcoming, and a perfect example of Costa Rica's authentic rural culture. Warmest regards!

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Hotel Punta Islita
This was the first stop in our introductory trip to Costa Rica.
After staying at San Jose Marriott for a night we started our journey to Punta Islita.
First - driving: google maps really work here even without data roaming enabled. Just need to download the offline map before the trip. Also time estimates are fairly correct. The only caveat is - sometimes the road is actually rather 4x4 type of track and you need to watch carefully to not missing it since you likely would expect something better. Locals recommend you need to arrive at hotel before dusk and if you are with kids or not really adventurer - that appears to be true. However it will not kill you - will just extend the trip time. Rain is not so bad while on this road. Ideally you want to land at Liberia - will save a coupe of hours of driving. Ideally to have a 4x4 or AWD car if you're driving around that area. Pay attention to A/C when picking up a car - out of two cars we got one was blowing just hot air another was blowing cold but the fan worked only at low position.
Now - hotel: the property is located on the hill of going almost to the shore, but not directly on the shore. They have a beach club separately on the shore along with the pool bar and restaurant. Beach chairs and umbrellas, very nice setting. Shuttle goes from the office area to the beach club or you can take stairs from lower units it will be like 7-10 min walk through golf course and bunch of mango trees. Everything is maintained pretty well. Beautiful viewed from the villas. We liked it a lot. Here I also must say that you will need to climb stairs pretty much every time you leave your unit. So, this property may be not a good choice for folks with mobility concerns or issues - i.e. bad knees, heart or similar.
Next - staff: very friendly and engaging. Marvin was the one who met our group and he was just awesome. It's a different check in experience- very nice - just relax and they will take you through the entire process that would conclude by booking activities (see next section). The only thing one may consider negative is slow service at restaurants, but, hey, you're on vacation - enjoy the view. The snack bar by the pool at the beach club will have food /drinks provisioned faster.
Then - activities: some included into your package - some are extra provided by 3-rd parties. If you are Marriott rewards elite member - chances are everything is included, otherwise check with the hotel. Horseback riding was fun, and zip line give an introduction to he activity (it is several 50 to 100m lines) . The beach is ok- but not amazing - still can jump on the waves and swim a bit. No snorkeling.
On that note, we went pretty much all over the country and only descent snorkeling was by the Playa Conchal. Not even Punta Uva. So if snorkeling is in your plan - you may consider staying at Westin Guanacaste instead.
Overall: great experience, somewhere between 4 and 5 stars. I will give it 5 here on more optimistic "Pura Vida" side. Good for both romantic getaways and family trips.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Alex G
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Thank you so much for your review and excellent guide for Costa Rica-bound adventurers. It was a pleasure to be your hosts. We have noted your comments about the service speed. Thanks for the observation! Please return soon! The turtle nesting season is about to start in full swing!

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

We loved this place. Took advantage of zip line, cooking, turtles, kayaking, and the hot tub with the room. Staff are amazing always wanting to help and enjoying their jobs. Smiles everywhere. Macaws are beautiful, do visit the ARA project next door to help them out but the macaws also visit the property. On property we saw monkeys, macaws, iguanas, butterflies, and leaf cutter ants. Lots of fun. Shuttle to the beach works well. Resort is off the beaten path, and not much outside resort so if you want lots of nightlife go elsewhere. For relaxing and just enjoying things, hard to beat this place.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
MariaJBIslita, Outreach Manager at Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2017

Greetings and thanks so much for embracing our hospitality concept with such enthusiasm. We love to be a gateway destination that connects the traveler with the surrounding culture and nature. The complimentary experiences we offer are geared to generating amazing opportunities to engage the senses and human bonds in an approach framed by authenticity. We look forward to your return!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Islita
8.8 km away
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
Nammbu Beachfront Bungalows
#3 of 7 in Playa Carrillo

Been to Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!