4 people are viewing this hotel
US$271
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
US$277
Agoda.com
US$277
US$246
PricelineUS$271
Hotels.comUS$277
FindHotelUS$277
All reviews speak easy bocce ball the main house speakeasy bar fire pit movie room located within walking distance perfect weekend walked everywhere downtown area get away apothecary ulysses property igloo keurig sheets
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 September 2018

We stayed at the Maxwell Mansion in late July. When we arrived at the mansion, we pulled up to a nice, gated property and a large sign, so we wouldn't miss it. From the outside, the property is very well maintained and looks very nice upon entrance. We drove to the main building, which was something unexpected. A gorgeous fountain in the front of the building and beautiful landscaping. Walking inside, the décor is as it would be in the 40's. Maybe earlier. Everything was in pristine condition and the staff was quick to check us in. We were informed of a secret bar on the property that was only open to hotel guests from a certain hour and we were, of course, invited for a drink.

We parked our vehicle in front of the long one story building, referred to as the stables. We had booked room number 1, which I later found out was the bridal suite. A nice play on words. The room was magnificient. Seriously. I will upload pictures later becasue it's hard to describe it. I will try. It had a small sitting are that could be closed off from the bedroom. The sitting room also had an attached half bath to it. The bedroom was a decent size. Much more than I expected. A king sleigh bed with a copper soaking tub nicely tucked aweay in a corner of the room. The shower was just on the other side of the bed in the corner as well. Everything was perfect.

We made dinner reservations on the Lake Geneva boat tour. Apparently we were only a quick 10 minute walk from the lake and all of it's shops and restaurants. When we returned from dinner, we decided to see the speakeasy that was mentioned to us upon check in. Upon knocking on the non-descript dorr, a slat about eye level opened up and you had to recite the evening's password. Luckily my fiance remembered it because I had totally forgot. It was a really nice space that was dimly lit and set a nice romantic mood. A gentleman was playing old timey tunes on the piano and a young girl was singing with the song. The bar staff made a quite nice bourbon old fashioned and we enjoyed our selves for a bit before calling it a night.

I was absolutley delighted that we made the decision to stay there for our trip. It was totally worth the money. I would highly recommend this to any couple just looking to get away or someone looking for a different hotel experience.

There is another building just across the way on the property that is the actual masnion that is also inhabited by guest, although we did not stay there and we did not look inside. Maybe next time we stay!

One more thing to add, this is not your normal hotel. There is no concierge or room service. The staff made it very clear that they are more than willing to give recommendations or assist in any way that they can but they do not provide those services. They also close for the evening, so if you need anything there is an emergency number available, but as it is only for actual emergencies.

Date of stay: July 2018
1  Thank Derek H
Andrew F, Owner at MAXWELL MANSION, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2018

Dear Derek
Thank you very much for your review- I personally appreciate the great feedback. As such, we have now put a couple of things in place: 1) We have our Vintage Looking Golf Cart to shuttle you into Lake Geneva to/from our sister Hotel, Baker House and various locales in our fair City.
2) We are proud of providing a discrete getaway for couples so we limit our staff's presence so you can enjoy our surroundings freely; however, we will now have our Staff make themselves more present. Staff and myself live on property so there is always someone to assist.

Sincerely- Andrew
ps- Do let us know when you may be able to return as I can give you a guided Tour throughout the property.

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

Wonderful night in this beautiful mansion! Very helpful staff. Great bar and speakeasy and pool!
Super location, just park and walk to the lake and downtown! Easy drive from Chicago suburbs .Will definitely be coming back!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review- I personally appreciate it as every review gives me and my team the chance to improve the experiences of every guest.
Cheers- Andrew

Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

Amazing hotel! Gorgeous rooms, spacious, quiet, relaxing get away. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our weekend away. Had a couple specialty cocktails at the Apothecary Bar, which we enjoyed poolside.
And explored the SpeakEasy at night. Great company, seamless checkin. Great experience.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2018

This mansion has such charm and wonderful ambience! The check-in was quick and easy! We also booked a meal at Baker House, which I highly recommend for great food and beautiful views of the Lake. The Baker House is only 2 blocks away! If the weather had been nicer, we would have walked. It is wonderful that this property is only a few blocks from the lake and downtown Lake Geneva. Lots of great places to walk to and enjoy the views of the lake. We also took a boat tour and had a wonderful time! SpeakEasy at night was fun and the live music was fantastic. We also enjoyed the Apothecary and movie room for a bit. Excellent service and beautiful rooms and grounds! Highly recommend for a romantic getaway!

Room tip: We had a first floor carriage house room and the upstairs tenants were a bit heavy footed in the morning. Otherwise, great room!
1  Thank JessicaMay6
Reviewed 14 August 2018

Historically, quite a story. 1856 mansion that is gorgeous. Many areas on the grounds to sit and absorb the ambience. Pool is very nice and secluded. The room in the carriage house was outstanding. Kudos to the housekeeping staff. Shower, bathroom, double jetted tub, floors, mirrors - everything was very, very clean. Great mattress and pillows. The only thing I would add is a small table between the two comfy chairs. Nowhere to put our beverage while chatting. There' a beautiful sitting area on the 2nd floor porch to drink coffee and relax. The screen doors on each door are old timey, they creak or moan when opening and closing. Although they're new, they remind me of grandma's porch. How many hotels have screen doors? Two blocks to the lake, walking distance to all downtown restaurants and the Riviera.

Room tip: The 2nd floor Carriage House rooms are quaint with a cool outside porch.