2 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$500
View deal
Hotels.comUS$500
CheapTicketsUS$500
FindHotelUS$500
Orbitz.comUS$500
TravelocityUS$500
TripadvisorUS$500
All reviews champagne suite butler service open to the public crab cakes view of the lake brunch versailles fireplace weekend anniversary wedding
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 September 2020

Read the recent reviews to the right for other one star reviews from people who stayed before you read our experience, and before you consider any response the property decides to make.

We booked a stay for Jun 21-23, 2020 in the Champagne Suite. For various reasons, including the highly allergic reaction one of our party had in the room, we checked out on June 22.

The room itself has a large amount of fabric in the bedroom, and the bathroom. That fabric actually covers the air conditioner vent, which further limits the flow of cool and perhaps filtered air to the room.

Having checked out, at which point we both left our key at the front desk and followed up with an email immediately, we incorrectly assumed hotel courtesy would dictate that the property charged for the night we did stay.

Rather the property charged for all three nights, not withstanding the health reasons for us leaving and going to another city and paying for a different hotel for two nights.

My diagnosed allergies include indoor dust, mites, mold and dander. I do not know which of these were triggered. But I do know at least one was.

If you 1) suffer with any dust, mites, mold, dander or other indoor allergies consider our experience in making a booking, or 2) expect courtesy if you have a reason to end your stay early be aware the property has a "charge for the stay whether used or not" hard policy

Room tip: As I stay in hotels over 150 nights a year and would not recommend or stay in this property again.
Date of stay: June 2020
1  Thank phillipa117
Reviewed 13 August 2020

I wish I had read the review by BAKreiter prior to booking The Baker Hotel. We agree with everything in that 1 star review. We were 10 minutes before official check in time and a young teenager told us we could not check in . When we returned a woman took us to our room and explained that we could "call" for the included breakfast at any time. The card she gave us had a phone # to call. Unfortunately, no one was ever available via that # and voicemail hadn't been set up. No phones in rooms so my husband had to go search for her in the morning. So much for breakfast in bed. We were told we were the only people in the hotel that night so she wasn't busy. When we asked about the butler service described on their website, she said " Oh you would need to call him to have him come to your room." "But we don't have a butler at this point." Our experience in the bar was similar to the above mentioned review. She didn't know how to make a gimlet and had to look it up. We asked for a cheese plate and were told they don't serve in the bar. she said she would ask the kitchen but she couldn't seem to get this done. Do not expect any room service ever. Bar closes at will and hours posted are not adhered to. The outdoor garden area was a disaster. Cushions left out in the rain made the area unable to be used. Cushions were all over the ground for 3 days. There was a tornado and damaging winds on 2nd night of our stay so I guess leaving everything outside and on the ground saved them from moving anything in and back out. The fire alarm went off at 2:15 am and when the fire department arrived they asked for manager/owner. Neither were onsite. The manager arrived a half hour later with a sad story that her son had been taken to the hospital and she was there with him. Who knows. Anyway, the guests were completely alone. The whole experience was terrible and $500. per night was a splurge for us since it was our 40th wedding anniversary. Also, NOTE: THERE IS NO POOL! She blamed Trip advisor for telling people there was a pool. I did share our disappointment with Courtney (manager/owner?) but she is so stretched and worn out from lack of staff she really didn't have a response except to say she wished we would have let her know and she could've moved us to The Maxwell House because she knows them. Really??? I seriously doubt it. On a bright note, our room, The Versailles was clean and newly done. Lovely view. The salon outside of our room was also clean with reasonably newish period furniture. The complimentary breakfast was continental but fresh and satisfactory. Unfortunately, no one was around to ask for suggestions about activities or dining. Luckily, we had been to Lake Geneva before so we were familiar with the area. Due to Covid-19 we were forced to stay close to home for our anniversary and we had such high hopes due to the Baker Hotel reviews and thought price was an indicator of luxury and service. Both were a disappointment. Stay elsewhere. So many other choices. The Baker Hotel needs to close for awhile to rebrand, get some new staff, and re write their description. I DO NOT RECOMMEND!!

Room tip: The Versailles Room had excellent views of the lake.
Date of stay: August 2020
2  Thank GreenBayfan
Reviewed 11 August 2020

Please, please, please if you take any review seriously on TripAdvisor, let it be this one. I don't want any other traveler to go through what we did.

We were highly misled on the experience we would have during our stay. This is directly from the website: "Guests are provided with room service, private bar and lake view dining room as well as private Butler and exclusive access to the English gardens during the day and reserved garden pavilion for al fresco dining & cocktails in the evening." Well, they had a bar, but it definitely wasn't private, the butler was non-existent, the garden pavilion was open to the public and nothing was reserved for you.

When we arrived at check-in we were greeted by a teenager behind the counter. Seeing this was not a very good first impression for us. She called for our butler and she led us upstairs...we carried our own luggage, I guess we were dumb to think maybe our "butler" would do that for us (other reviews I had read stated that this was done for them, and they were given champagne upon arrival). We called our 'butler' twice during our first night and left messages both times. There was loud pounding above us as we were trying to go to sleep and we were hoping to get some help with the noise issue. SHE NEVER RESPONDED. When she initially gave us a tour of the room, she told us “not to feel bad if we had to call at 2am for anything." Well, that's your job, so I am not sure why I would feel bad if I had an issue I needed to call about. But it didn't matter anyways, because even though she said that, she never responded to us, not even to apologize for not getting back to us. We were told we got complimentary breakfast included, but if we wanted eggs or meat we would have to pay extra!?! At $500 a night, one would assume that is something they would be so kind to include, but instead they wanted more money for a basic breakfast. I mean, the Holiday Inn Express includes eggs and meat with their complimentary breakfast, for goodness sake. In all honesty, I am not sure what exactly we spent $1000 on for two nights. We wanted to splurge on a weekend getaway since all of our other travel plans were canceled this year. I researched Lake Geneva, and saw this place as something unique and out of the ordinary. Yes, although the room was beautiful (we stayed in the Champagne Room), and the hotel itself was very distinctive, we were expecting much more than that.

The staff was completely inept. Not one person there was a professional. The way this establishment is run is a complete joke. They say you are 'going back in time' once you enter this hotel, yet the first night we arrived they were playing dub-step music as their 'live music' and had a karaoke band the next night. We checked the ‘live music’ out Saturday night, and saw our ‘butler’ talking to someone. While this was going on a group of very intoxicated customers were at a table next to us. One of the girls in this group took a running start and began beating the crap out of this guy right in the middle of the parking lot next to the front garden. It was so bad, I was questioning whether we should call the cops or not. The butler was not fazed by this scene whatsoever.

The 'bartenders,' if you could call them that, were eating food while right in front of us (stuffing their faces full of fries), and not one person knew how to make a drink. They had to look at note cards to make a Manhattan and didn't know that a Cabernet was a red wine. For a hotel that has been here since 1885, I would expect them to know how to make a decent drink and not premise handing our drink over by saying "if it's icky, I'll make another one." We had high hopes for this place, but it is clear there has been a turnover in staff. The people they have working right now have absolutely no clue what is going on. The feeling we got from this place, was that someone inherited the hotel and decided it would be a good idea to just hire all their friends to join the staff, even if they weren’t qualified for the job. From looking at past reviews, it is clear that there has recently been a turnover in staff, and maybe it has something to do with COVID, but I cannot be sure. No one we came into contact with appeared to be qualified in any way shape or form to be on staff at a hotel.

Beyond disappointed with our stay, and will most definitely not be recommending this hotel to anyone. The only reason I believe this place will continue to limp along, is because of the location it has. It will certainly not be because of the experience it provides its guests. The website claims that “When you check in to the Baker House you can look forward to an exceptional experience without equal in Lake Geneva or perhaps, anywhere in the world.” After our experience, this statement is just laughable.

Date of stay: August 2020
2  Thank BAKreiter
Reviewed 7 August 2020 via mobile

Historical restaurant and hotel you should come see once. We had a table in their inside patio with a wonderful view of the lake. They do not have outdoor seating during the week which was disappointing but it worked out well since it was pretty hot the evening we went.
All the food was great-crab cakes, bbq salmon, lobster tail and truffle fries. Drinks were great too- cucumber martini perfect!
After dinner go visit their other themed rooms if you get a chance and take a spin on the vintage roulette table!

Date of stay: July 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank emmaretto
Reviewed 18 February 2020

The view is awesome. Over look the lake at sunset with a cocktail on hand! The house is fun to explore. Although we did not stay overnight, I would love to try out the rooms given the location and fun environment.

Date of stay: February 2020