“Not the Same under new ownership”

Baker House Restaurant & Lounge
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Baker Street
Transit: Aside from our pier and walk-up, drivers are all welcome, especially ones with two wheels. (Trailers, RVs, Bi-Planes and Monster Trucks are asked to park in the public city lot just behind the House).
Description: In the spirit of the great “summer cottages” of yesteryear, the Baker House has created a world of Gilded Age living where grand entertaining is experienced daily and lavish parties are thrown nightly. Guests are entertained throughout the 1st floor of the historic mansion and in the lakefront garden with beautiful views of Geneva Lake from every angle. Grab a hat from the vintage collection hanging in the halls & travel back in time with us for a unique and entertaining experience of dining and imbibing!
Reviewed 27 February 2021

I have written great reviews about the Baker House in the past but things have certainly changed! We have been a guest in the Hotel here over a dozen times and ever time the restaurant part was excellent! Since breakfast is supposed to be part of the room price I must include that in my review: The first night there was none! At about 7AM I walked downstairs and the lights were out and no one was in sight. When I asked later in the day I was told i must order breakfast. Next morning at about 7AM we got a pot of coffee, cream and nothing else. We had booked dinner and we ordered drinks at out table. When I asked for bread and butter, I was told "because of the Virus we no longer serve bread! BS!!! I do not like being lied to! Bread is served every where we go in Illinois and Wisconsin! Our meals were good but not worth the jacked up prices!

Date of visit: February 2021
Write a reviewReviews (539)

Reviewed 22 February 2021 via mobile

We have mixed feelings about our stay at the Baker House- echoing many of the reviews already here. When people write so few “terrible” reviews about an establishment, I tend to overlook them, but the ones about the Baker House are accurate.

Most disappointing about our stay was the lack of “butler service” listed on the website. Courtney the manager was apparently the butler. Nice as she is, she can’t be everywhere and tend to guests’ needs as the website states. When I think of a butler for as expensive of a room as we had (the Versailles), I picture someone carrying all of our bags and being ready with breakfast when asked- or at the very least answering the phone. She did help carry one bag upstairs when we arrived, so maybe this was all just misunderstanding on my part which is why I want to let other potential guests know what to expect.

Something is wrong with their phone system. The main number to call for breakfast/room service/any issues at all doesn’t work, so Courtney gave us her cell# which she barely answers, and the voicemail is full. On the 2 days we did get breakfast, my husband had to go downstairs into the kitchen area to find someone after multiple attempts to call the number. The staff down there didn’t even know which room was the Versailles! Coffee was cold when it finally arrived to our room.

No temperature control is available in the room. The fireplace is pretty but doesn’t give off heat. The floor tiles’ warmer in the bathroom is broke and doesn’t work at all. The rest of the room is very pretty and has shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion. The restaurant’s food was delicious and the service was very good. It is pretty crowded though, so don’t necessarily expect a quiet, romantic dinner. We had fun outside at the ice bar. Someone could’ve been out there tending the fires as well as someone should’ve been shoveling the walkways throughout the weekend. We went to plenty other places in Lake Geneva where people were clearing walkways for their guests. The WiFi is out of service and after someone else told us they didn’t know a password, Courtney came up with one...which still had spotty service.

With the price of a stay at the Baker House, they have a long way to go before matching the value with the cost.

Reviewed 7 February 2021

If you go to their website, it shows a normal brunch, pastries, food stations. Omelets etc. We had reservations for 3. Brought us a sheet of paper showing us what you had your choice of, steak and eggs, granola, but not a brunch, very very misleading. Didnt mention a restricted menu when made reservations. Say nothing about it till your sitting there. Waitress goes well, since covid, then why does their staff mislead you, as well as the website.very disappointing way to end our weekend.

Reviewed 31 December 2020 via mobile

Amazing dining an drinking rooms in this tastefully decorated old Mansion. Neat bar in back but short pours and a bit small!

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 26 December 2020 via mobile

They promoted a Christmas Eve dinner special.
We have stayed here twice before and ate here several times in the past. Our feet will never cross their threshold again. I don’t think you could have prepared a worse meal if you tried. Salmon Alfredo had no Salmon in it. Not kidding literally flecks of Salmon in it, if you could find them.
Prime rib was prime crap way under rare, took it back came back again rare. It was tough and disgusting.
Seafood appetizer not appetizing and no seafood in it. Whisky Sour came out from the bar less than half full.
This is supposedly under new management , they should be going under soon. Maybe new owners will have their act together. I guess they could try Restaurant Impossible, but nothing short of that could possibly save this place.

Date of visit: December 2020