Lowest prices for your stay
Free cancellation until 21/08/05
Reserve now, pay at stay
Free cancellation until 21/08/05
Trip.com
US$220
Official Website
PricelineUS$225
Hotels.comUS$225
Reviews (1 690)
1 690 results
All reviews lake geneva waterfront restaurant adult pool girls weekend harbor view room hot tub locker room from chicago game room fire pit wedding abby smores bonfire relaxation groupon arcade
Selected filters
26 - 31 of 1 690 reviews
Reviewed 1 March 2021

To say we were grossly disappointed is an understatement. We spoke directly to a reservation person and told them there would be 2 adults and 2 teens. They offered a room with a king-size bed and a sofa sleeper. Upon arrival I saw something that I never in my wildest dreams imagined. When you lifted up the sofa cushions, there was a bent over 6" foam mattress just laying on the floor inside the sofa frame. We had to pull the mattress out and lay it directly on the nasty floor. There were no extra sheets, blankets or pillows in the room for it. Someone left a glass outside our patio door they had used for an ashtray filled with cigarette butts. The shower had mold and peeling wallpaper. Lightbulbs were burnt out. For our grandson's special birthday dinner we went to their expensive 240 West restaurant. The service was the worst. We sat mostly unattended for 2-1/2 hours. Dinner was cold. Food was over seasoned. Way, way overpriced ($250 for 5 people without tip). We would have had a better dining experience at any chain restaurant. Ordered breakfast room service for 3 people and it was $70 for scrambled eggs, waffles and granola--no drinks. Ceilings were leaking and dripping on the floor in the pool area and lobby. Sat down on an upholstered chair in the lobby and got soaked. We paid $25 for a magic/comedy show on Saturday night. Turns out the average age of the audience was 6. We left before it started. The live entertainment in the lounge was 2 guys with acoustic guitars playing old country music badly. There were cobwebs in the hallways. No housekeeping at all during our stay--not even an option. Of course we complained to the management and their only response was to offer us a glass of wine which we refused. This place has gone downhill. Save your money. Go anywhere else.

Date of stay: February 2021
Rebecca Rosencrans, Marketing at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2021

Debbie, thank you for sharing your experience with us. This is nowhere near the experience we want our guests to have and apologize for the issues that you had during your stay. I understand that you have since spoken with our Rooms Director and she has shared your comments with our staff in order to improve.

Reviewed 22 February 2021

My husband and I spent this past weekend at the Abbey with another couple who were trying to have a relaxing weekend away from their kids. Well our stay was anything but relaxing. The amount of children running and screaming in the hallways and all over the resort was unbelievable. And when I say running and screaming we are talking about parents sitting with their kids in common areas/restaurants where the kids were literally running up and down, jumping on each other, screaming at each other while the parents just sat with their drinks watching tv. Hotel staff could have EASILY asked the parents to control their children. Instead when we decided to sit in some common areas with a few drinks, hotel staff did find time to stop and tell us we weren't allow to have drinks in the common areas. We were also told by hotel staff that we couldn't play music as it was too loud and we were told when trying to clean the snow off of the ice skating rink that it also wasn't allowed. Never have we been told so many times all the things we couldn't do while allowing tons of children to run around like animals. I am an educator and have kids myself. I TOTALLY understand that kids are loud. But this was ridiculous and the hotel did not do anything to even try to control these kids.
If you are looking to get away for a relaxing weekend as a couple, please do yourself a favor and skip this hotel. I know the spa is nice. I know the price is right. I know it's close to Chicago. But you won't sleep. You won't relax. You won't have any type of peace of mind while staying here. It just isn't worth it. While the hotel did say they would give us $50 off one of our nights, I'm still waiting to see that realized and doubt it will happen.
This property could EASILY deem one building or one section for families and keep those wanting to not be kept up all night and day from screaming children but they don't. Please do yourself a favor and relax someplace else.

1  Thank book26

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm very sorry that your stay didn't live up to expectations and that you weren't able to have the relaxing getaway you had hoped for. Our resort is very family friendly and weekends are the perfect time for families to make a getaway to the lake. If somehow the $50 refund has not been seen yet, please reach out to us at info@theabbeyresort.com. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff in order to improve.

Reviewed 8 February 2021

After visiting The Abby yearly for almost 20 years, I'm sad to say we won't return. The spa packages are definitely a bait and switch. The resort itself has become so run-down and in need of repairs it is embarrassing. Food and garbage was left outside of guests rooms lining the hallways for over 12 hours. I requested a change of linens at 10:30 am, I was told they aren't doing bed changes due to COVID which I completely understand. However they said they would deliver the linens and I could do it myself. They never arrived, and I eventually had to hunt down a housekeeper and ask her for them. The policy sheet they handed us for the spa was completely different from the policies they actually enforced. The spa itself no longer feels clean, with rust all over the metal rails in the pool and mold on the floor. Definitely no longer worth the prices.Our friends that we were traveling with were also hit with a bait and switch package.

Date of stay: February 2021
Rebecca Rosencrans, Marketing at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2021

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm sorry about the miscommunication you received regarding the package you booked. We have made the inclusions more clear to our employees and on our website. We do hope you change your mind and visit us again so that we can exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 3 February 2021

Spent a nice weekend here with only some minor issues. Room was nice and clean. Wife went to the spa and loved it. Only issues were the pot smokers next door(to each his own but we hate the smell) . It also had a large snow fall. Steps outside were not shoveled, very slick and dangerous trying to walk down them to leave. Again minor things but just wanted to point it out. We would come here again.

Date of stay: January 2021
Rebecca Rosencrans, Marketing at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2021

Thank you for sharing the pros and cons of your stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 25 January 2021 via mobile

I was really pulling for the Abbey, hoping that it would be a place I could visit every year with family. After checking in at the lobby I was sure I would, but once I circled the parking the façade was pulled out from underneath. Looking at the parking lot garbage was scattered throughout, and it wasn’t picked up for the two days of my visit. Then entering the room there was a musty smell (Kind of that of water damage and mold smell) the outside door had duct tape holding it together. The room was small, not for a family of four. When we looked by the table lamp there were Gnats everywhere. We called requesting another room, but no one got back to us immediately. We wanted to get out and enjoy the weather, so we left and by the time we returned we received a message that no rooms where available. Walking around the hotel I doubt that was the case, but I don’t really know if it was. The activities for kids were limited understandably, even so scheduled things closed early primarily because of the pandemic. The hotel has the potential to be a great place, but it needs an upgrade. If more people continue to shy away, it may force them to do renovate and pay more attention to detail.

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank flyguy25

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm sorry you were disappointed in the conditions of your room and will share your comments with management. I do hope you give us another try in the future so that we can exceed your expectations.