4 people are viewing this hotel
Free cancellation until 21/08/05
Reserve now, pay at stay
Free cancellation until 21/08/05
PricelineUS$225
Hotels.comUS$225
Reviews (1 689)
1 689 results
All reviews lake geneva waterfront restaurant adult pool girls weekend harbor view room hot tub locker room from chicago game room fire pit wedding abby smores bonfire relaxation groupon arcade
Selected filters
29 - 34 of 1 689 reviews
Reviewed 25 January 2021 via mobile

I was really pulling for the Abbey, hoping that it would be a place I could visit every year with family. After checking in at the lobby I was sure I would, but once I circled the parking the façade was pulled out from underneath. Looking at the parking lot garbage was scattered throughout, and it wasn’t picked up for the two days of my visit. Then entering the room there was a musty smell (Kind of that of water damage and mold smell) the outside door had duct tape holding it together. The room was small, not for a family of four. When we looked by the table lamp there were Gnats everywhere. We called requesting another room, but no one got back to us immediately. We wanted to get out and enjoy the weather, so we left and by the time we returned we received a message that no rooms where available. Walking around the hotel I doubt that was the case, but I don’t really know if it was. The activities for kids were limited understandably, even so scheduled things closed early primarily because of the pandemic. The hotel has the potential to be a great place, but it needs an upgrade. If more people continue to shy away, it may force them to do renovate and pay more attention to detail.

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank flyguy25
Rebecca Rosencrans, Marketing at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2021

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm sorry you were disappointed in the conditions of your room and will share your comments with management. I do hope you give us another try in the future so that we can exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 8 January 2021

I can’t believe how Abbey Resort ruined our New Year’s Eve experience. Oh I’m sorry that suppose to be a “Lounge Experience “. Three course dinner that we had to stay in line for hour and a half even tho we had 8pm reservation. Did not mean a thing ! By the time we got seated they ran out of white table cloths as pictured above , shrimps and cocktail sauce , oysters. Warmish soup we had to sip with a teaspoon . But they had plenty of horseradish... seriously.... I won’t even comment on the salad and reheated , dry piece of greenery that suppose to be broccoli that looked more like a dry kale. Horrible!!!! Almost $500 for this piece of ..... oh and one more thing .... when manager”Tim “ was approached his rude explanation was beyond believe. Someone needs to coach this guy on basic customer service skills....And that our top of the line table and as you can see an appetizer plate.

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Rebecca Rosencrans, Marketing at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2021

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback, but I'm sorry to read that you had an unfavorable experience. Though the dinner fell short of your expectations, I do hope the remaining hours of your celebration, music and ringing in of a New Year were enjoyable and memorable.

Reviewed 1 December 2020

Personally I do like the resort but you have to take the good with the bad. My husband and I went in September and I was extremely pleased with their handling of Covid. All employees consistently wore masks. Guests did as well unless eating or socially distanced. We chose to eat entirely on property because we did not see that concern for safety at other restaurants in the area.
Building 4 was a terrific location. Lovely view of the harbor and grounds. At times it could get a bit loud.
Easy walk to lake, piers, main beach etc. Very beautiful, scenic grounds and area.
Avani spa pool was a treat. Nice enhancement/add-on. We didn’t purchase any spa treatments so on our second day we chose to pay the $25. No children! I was away from mine and enjoying the peace and tranquillity of this lovely pool. Sauna, steam rooms, nice showers...Loved it!
Again, the place is nice, but not upscale or luxury. They are trying but still have some work to do. Many things are dated. Especially the rooms. Quite a few items are worn out. There was a crack in our bathroom sink. The decor was a few decades behind or maybe very retro? There was an earring in the shower and a few Cheerios under a table we moved so we were a tad concerned the cleaning crew should be a little more thorough. However, our harbor view room was cozy with a nice view, convenient location and we enjoyed the nice sitting area by the window (though at times a little awkward with people walking by on the shared balcony).
Coffee shop in the lobby was great in the mornings.
The Waterfront Restaurant had beautiful views of the marina and wonderful drinks. Very casual with mostly bbq dishes.
240 West was pretty good. Excellent service.
We had consistent good service with employees. Very helpful and friendly.
Again you have to take the good with the bad. For the money, I think it’s a pretty nice place. So much so that I’m going to return in January with my daughter for an overnight stay and some spa treatments. Look for specials, try not to go during peak times and you get a pretty good bang for your buck. When I called for a reservation, Rory answered and spent quite awhile giving me great advice on which day to pick and which room would be better suited for our upcoming stay. Looking forward to a repeat visit. (Oh, and a few weeks before you go, sign up for a Lake Club Card. It will save you 10% on their restaurants, some spa services & some area attractions!

Room tip: Building 4 was convenient to everything and had nice harbor views.
Date of stay: September 2020
2  Thank Lisa B
Adrienne Somerville, Marketing at The Abbey Resort & Avani Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2020

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, Lisa. We appreciate you sharing the pros and the cons that you found while you were staying here. I will make sure to share your comments with our team. We look forward to your next visit with us in January!

Reviewed 29 November 2020

Where do I begin to say how disappointed we are. This was our first time staying in Lake Geneva as we usually go to Galena Thanksgiving weekend and I am just not happy. When I stay at a hotel I expect the get a good nights sleep and that definitely did not happen for either of us. The beds were the most uncomfortable and way too high to the point you couldn’t get on them, if my husband and I struggled and were in our 30’s you can only imagine how my elderly parents were, we had to help them up on and off the beds which is ridiculous and then on top of that they were just uncomfortable. The refrigerator also made a buzzing sound all night which was awesome. Do not let them fool you and tell you the fish fry is great at the Waterfront restaurant because for $17 it was not worth the money. We were so excited about the weekend and now totally disappointed, we won’t be staying there any longer, we were tempted to leave and go to a different hotel but didn’t have the extra money to or time and effort.

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I'm sorry your room didn't live up to expectations. I hope you shared your experience with our staff while you were here so that we could remedy the situation of the fridge.

Reviewed 22 November 2020 via mobile

My sister and I went for a 4-day weekend only after receiving assurance that the hotel was only booking at very limited occupancy and taking necessary steps to properly sanitize. We checked into the hotel in the early evening (after dark) and were quite surprised to not have the harbor view room that we paid for. We called the desk to inquire and were told that we’d need to talk to someone the next morning. We did move to the correct room the next morning but no refund on the price differential or for the inconvenience of having to repack everything and move. We chose to dine at the resort to limit our exposure and it didn’t appear that they were concerned with social distancing. We had to ask to sit away from the other guests who were all seated in one area. We were quite surprised to learn there was a huge wedding at the resort that weekend and many rooms were occupied. By the fourth day, after wearing our masks and spending a lot of time outdoors walking along the lake, we had both started coughing. We woke up at home the following day, very sick and both tested positive for COVID-19. When I called the resort to tell the manager, he had a very laidback attitude and just thanked me for calling, like I was giving him good news. Twelve days later, both of us are still very sick. The stay was definitely not worth losing our health.

Date of stay: November 2020