“Lively and loud!”

Ranked #115 of 171 Restaurants in Brookfield
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Friendly, warm environment. Hard to find location, tucked away in the US Bank parking lot on the NE corner of Calhoun and Capitol. Worth finding!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have friends whose son plays in a number of bands. One of these bands was the featured band at a recent Wednesday open mike at Saloon on Calhoun, and we gathered for a meal and to listen to the music.

I can see where Saloon on Calhoun is a popular place for friends to gather for a bite to eat and to listen to favorite bands. Bacon-themed appetizers are available during happy hour, and many of the menu items include bacon.

In general, this is a noisy place, where sound bounces off the hard surfaces, and music blasts from large overhead speakers. Our reaction to the menu items we ordered was varied. One person’s salad had slices of hard, unripe avocado, one’s burger was excellent, and my chicken sandwich was just so-so, with a generous piece of overcooked and chewy chicken breast. Sandwiches come with fries, chips, or tater tots; a salad or coleslaw can be substituted for a small upcharge.

Our experience with restaurant personnel was positive. Our server, Cody, was just great, as was the hostess that seated us. Would we go back? Probably not, except to hear the band we came for on the night of our visit.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

This was the first time that my daughter , granddaughter and I went to eat here. My husband and son had recommended eating here and I am so glad that they did. We were greeted warmly when we arrived, and seated instantly. Colin , our waiter, could not have been nicer or more attentive !! Our food and drinks arrived quickly and we couldn't believe how much food we got. My granddaughter ordered the reuben soup and it was delicious. We really enjoyed our food but the highlight was Colin. When we go back, we are requesting his table. He acted like he enjoys his job and was attentive to our granddaughter, and she loved that !!

Reviewed 23 March 2018

We were at Saloon on Calhoun for an event. Since I was there a year ago, the food and service has declined. I would describe as "below average" bar food. You know - The kind that, after eating, you wish you wouldn't have? I suggested to the event organizer that she move to a different establishment for next time.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Go somewhere else. Maybe I am a bit old fashioned but pushing a button to get service and pushing another button to get your check really was a big turn off. How about the server just come check on us? The food was just average. My husband had the Blue burger with Blue cheese, bacon, mushrooms, etc... and there is so much stuff on it you couldn't even taste the actual burger. He scraped about 3/4 of the toppings off and it was ok then. I got the pork belly flatbread, which was ok. Tiny little bits of pork belly, I was really expecting some meat. I liked mine good enough. Popcorn was so salty I spit it out. Bad. Anyway, maybe it appeals to others, but I like to go out to eat to get service and good food, which neither was here. There were only 3 tables at lunch time in the bar side, so why do we still need to push buttons to get our servers attention???

Reviewed 3 February 2018

My husband and I went for dinner on a Friday evening. We put our name on the wait list at 7:01 and were going to be notified by text message. We walked to the bar and saw many open tables with reserved signs. We saw another open table without such signage. We asked if we could sit there and were told no. Since many of the tables were empty we wanted more explanation. They brought a 'manager' over. We sat at the bar and ate there. An hour had passed and still nobody was seated at the table we wanted to sit at. We did find out that the 'manager' we spoke to earlier was not a manager. We did get to speak with a real manager - Dan. He was very accommodating and apologetic. It is 21 hours later and I still have not been notified via text that my table is ready. When we left there were several open tables and we were never offered a table.
We would have just walked out but had purchased a $25 dining certificate.
Food was average at best, the homemade chips tasted like stale grease. This place was much better before they expanded.

Been to Saloon on Calhoun with Bacon? Share your experiences!