“Winery and distillery off Route 19”
Review of Kirkwood Winery

Kirkwood Winery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: West Virginia's finest wines and smallest licensed distillery in the United States. Located in the heart of West Virginia, we offer wines that reflect our mountain heritage. Come observe the crafting of the Southern Moon, Rye, and Grappa at the distillery.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

As wineries go, Kirkwood has a much different feel. No long, polished wood bar in a stunning, high-ceilinged tasting room with shining fixtures and smiling bartenders ready to give you the provenance of every grape that touches their bottles. No wine tasting 'flight' presented on a spiraling iron wine rack, 5 glasses to each rack. Not here. This is a small, laid back, country store atmosphere winery in a farming area with smiling folks happy to see you, though not able to answer many questions about their products, at least not on the day of our visit. Most of their wines are fruit-based and on the sweet side that I saw. Their website references many others, dry and semi dry, and provides an explanation of all. I just didn't see them displayed. They have a mead that we decided to try as well as an elderberry wine. They also carry a WV bourbon from a distillery which looked very interesting.

All reviews
"bourbon"
"answer"
"folks"

Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

We were in the area, traveling to an anniversary weekend and stopped in for some wine and maybe a tour since they were in our travel path. We have been to many other wineries and distilleries so we thought we knew what to expect. We walked in, early in the day, and I believe we were lightly greeted- maybe- but beyond that and asking where we were from we were not engaged by the several staff members by the counter. No information was given about tours, the wine, the area- nothing! The wine is not my favorite WV wine and what I bought seemed to be priced higher than other regional wines and the taste was off. I doubt I will return.

Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

This winery has a very poor set up of making wine, and the wine tastes horrible! Coming from traveling the world to this wine my husband and I had to throw away the bottles we bought! Even trying it made me sick afterward. The only reason this place is so popular in the area is because it is all the area has, and no one knows any better!

6  Thank AmandaLanagan
Reviewed 6 December 2016

Nice Little Winery! Very Friendly Staff! Great wines & whiskey tasting, nice little shop, usually buy several bottles before leaving.