Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews the river out of this world situated right days fishing trip camp laura bank
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 August 2018

There were a lot of good things about this trip but a lot of bad things. The good was the location, 99% of the staff and our fishing guide. The cabin was completely fine, beds OK and mostly bug free (we did have a run in with a monster spider that turned my 6'4" buddy into a little girl). The food was pretty good but certainly not great. The bar was nice and we even had wifi intermittently which was a big deal for my buddy and I.

On the downside, while the camp management couldn't help the high water, they did put too many anglers in camp. Unique Africa experience aside this was a fishing trip and 26 anglers was way too many. The fishing was tough mostly because there were about 2 places on the river that actually held fish and there were too many boats. I've traveled the world fishing and hold more than 100 world records, I know a bit about fishing, this was too many anglers. The last day we anchored in one of the major holes and when there was more than one other boat there, we didn't get a bite. When we were the only boat, we caught fish. Pretty simple.

Most of the anglers came from an angling club who staying up late at night partying. Normally I wouldn't have minded and probably joined them but with the terrible fishing melting down my friend, I could see what other reviewers talked about with a rowdy crowd late at night.

I won't be back.

Date of stay: June 2018
3  Thank michael n
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

I had the privilage of visiting Sekoma Island Lodge with a group of friends. Although some of us did not catch any tigerfish, most did land a swimming dog from the Zambezi River with size ranging from 7 pounds to 18 pounds as measured by the well-trained fishing guides. Watched elephant from the main lodge deck and recorded just over 100 bird species including breeding Western Banded Snake eagle and Olive woodpecker. Swimming/splash pool crystal clear. Food fantastic considering the distance they have to travel for supplies.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2018

This was my 2nd visit and the internal layout of the Tent is different and much better than my 1st visit, they just moved the beds and cupboards into another position and tent appears much bigger. Rooms are 100% clean and serviced daily and laundry is part of the package. Toilet, shower area also 100% super clean and well maintained. Looks brand new. Was very cold these past few days and you are guaranteed hot water for your shower. Hot water is instant and no having to wait for the hot water to eventually come through. Suggest that they provide bigger soap for guests staying for a few days. Rest of the lodge and camp well maintained and always clean. Food is always good, nice man size portions of meat, veggies and salads. Pub always well stocked and no shortage of ice and beverages are always cold. Boats also very clean each day and from previous trips to other lodges the rods and reels in very good working condition. Cooler box always filled to the brim with ice. Guides are awesome, had Gary as our guide and by far one of the best guides from all my Zambezi trips over the past few years, Awesome person. Staff are friendly and service is good.Glen the manager at first appears to be aloof but hey that I suppose is his personality AND he is doing what he is supposed to be doing because his lodge and staff are managed exactly as should be to remain a Great lodge. No doubt that Glen is good at what he does. Catching Tiger is not guaranteed but the guides try their utmost to make sure all is in place for guests to hook them. Yes, of course I will go back to Sekoma Island Lodge.

Room tip: Try and get Gary the guide.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

What an experience, it was my first time in Zambia and first time on the upper Zambezi. I caught a 14pound tiger and lost an even bigger one once the fish was at the boat. It broke the piano wire and the hook and off she went. If you hear what the people at the lodge say that 1 out of every 5 is landed i think i have done pretty well. Luck was definitely on my side. The lodge is beautiful, neat and clean at all times. The food is excellent and these guys do every bit to ensure that you have a pleasant stay. The staff and guides are also very friendly and helpful. I will definitely return one day.

Date of stay: October 2017