Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews the river out of this world situated right days fishing trip camp laura bank
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 August 2017

What a waste of money! We went there to catch tiger - but guess what!

I was part of a group of six fishermen, four of them having had a poor experience at Sekoma the year before, that booked for a few days during the peak "absolutely best for fishing time" in late June. The previous poor experience was blamed on the full moon phase so this time - no moon - and paid a premium for the peak season! But again very poor fishing. Some of us, certainly not novices at the game either, never caught anything at all in the four days that we were there. And that during the purported prime season!

We suspect that the very many nets that we saw stretched across the river remove the tiger from the waters at an alarming rate. If not checked the fishing will simply deteriorate even more.

However the food was good - could have stayed in JHB for that though - the accommodation was good too but unfortunately unchecked loud and unruly behaviour - management did nothing about it - on the part of some of the guests until 2:00 am each morning did not help the situation leaving one with sleep deprevation. So a very bad sleep quality!

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Delwin E
Reviewed 16 June 2017

I stayed at the adjoining lodge, Ilombe, and there was much to like - room very comfortable, water hot, and the food plentiful and often edible. Unfortunately, the lodge offered no briefing as to the fishing options available and made no attempt to find out about my fishing preferences. My guide knew very little about fishing generally and all he knew about tigerfishing was that you should use an Afrijig and cast it randomly into the channel. That can be very effective but it can also be mind-numbingly dull when the fish aren't biting. In hindsight I should have stuck to my original plan of casting minnows at the banks, which I suspect would have yielded a lot more tigers (perhaps less chance of a big one) and the possibility of a bonus nembwe. Live and learn. I'll be tigerfishing again, but not here.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank John A
Reviewed 10 May 2017

We have been going to Sekoma and iLombe for the past seven years. It is one of, if not the best, Tiger fishing spots on the Zambezi. Expert guides, exceptional staff and I don't think you will find a better view from your room than at Sekoma. Should definitely be on everybody's bucket list. Already packed for my next trip!!

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank JohannvS
Reviewed 16 April 2017

This was a wonderful trip and I can highly recommend it. We had a fantastic time. We enjoyed the food a lot, not 5 star but I enjoyed every meal. Nothing beats a good braai when you are from South Africa! There is also Wifi to get some messages out and phone coverage should you wish to keep in touch with family at home or brag about a catch! The fishing went well, more for some that others but at least everyone in our group caught. Also a small pool that is great to cool off after a day in the sun.

Another great service is the laundry that gets done every night. That helped a lot. One person in our group forgot a large some of cash in his pocket and it was duly returned by the laundry people. The staff is great.

My son cleaned us up during the week and caught 8 Tigers, biggest being 16 lb! The guides were great and knowledgeable, the boats in very good condition and the rental gear they had were up to the task. No complaints there. We will definitely go again.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Garreth C, Director of Sales at Sekoma Island Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

Good Day Bill

Thank you very much for the positive feedback.

Please can you send us some pics of your fish.

info@sekoma.co.za

Tight Lines
Garreth Coombes

Reviewed 12 December 2016 via mobile

Sekoma island is not just about the natural beauty it's about the people from the security staff to hospitality and the guides, management are ever present and only happy to oblige the most trivial of requests, Sekoma is home away from home and on my return for the umpteenth time home is always a place you just know is right. The fishing is superb the Mozi is always cold and the experience is exceptional.

Date of stay: November 2016