Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews the river out of this world situated right days fishing trip camp laura bank
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 June 2017

I stayed at the adjoining lodge, Ilombe, and there was much to like - room very comfortable, water hot, and the food plentiful and often edible. Unfortunately, the lodge offered no briefing as to the fishing options available and made no attempt to find out about my fishing preferences. My guide knew very little about fishing generally and all he knew about tigerfishing was that you should use an Afrijig and cast it randomly into the channel. That can be very effective but it can also be mind-numbingly dull when the fish aren't biting. In hindsight I should have stuck to my original plan of casting minnows at the banks, which I suspect would have yielded a lot more tigers (perhaps less chance of a big one) and the possibility of a bonus nembwe. Live and learn. I'll be tigerfishing again, but not here.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank John A
Reviewed 10 May 2017

We have been going to Sekoma and iLombe for the past seven years. It is one of, if not the best, Tiger fishing spots on the Zambezi. Expert guides, exceptional staff and I don't think you will find a better view from your room than at Sekoma. Should definitely be on everybody's bucket list. Already packed for my next trip!!

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank JohannvS
Reviewed 16 April 2017

This was a wonderful trip and I can highly recommend it. We had a fantastic time. We enjoyed the food a lot, not 5 star but I enjoyed every meal. Nothing beats a good braai when you are from South Africa! There is also Wifi to get some messages out and phone coverage should you wish to keep in touch with family at home or brag about a catch! The fishing went well, more for some that others but at least everyone in our group caught. Also a small pool that is great to cool off after a day in the sun.

Another great service is the laundry that gets done every night. That helped a lot. One person in our group forgot a large some of cash in his pocket and it was duly returned by the laundry people. The staff is great.

My son cleaned us up during the week and caught 8 Tigers, biggest being 16 lb! The guides were great and knowledgeable, the boats in very good condition and the rental gear they had were up to the task. No complaints there. We will definitely go again.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Garreth C, Director of Sales at Sekoma Island Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

Good Day Bill

Thank you very much for the positive feedback.

Please can you send us some pics of your fish.

info@sekoma.co.za

Tight Lines
Garreth Coombes

Reviewed 12 December 2016 via mobile

Sekoma island is not just about the natural beauty it's about the people from the security staff to hospitality and the guides, management are ever present and only happy to oblige the most trivial of requests, Sekoma is home away from home and on my return for the umpteenth time home is always a place you just know is right. The fishing is superb the Mozi is always cold and the experience is exceptional.

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank jmd2804
Reviewed 18 October 2016

Sekoma Island and Ilombe Island Lodges are a great spot for some incredible tiger fishing. We stayed at Ilombe, the smaller (5 rooms) to and supposedly slightly more rustic lodge on the island adjacent to Sekoma. Having boated across one afternoon to see Sekoma, Ilombe certainly fulfilled our requirements. What we were there for, of course, was the fishing. Although the tigers weren't falling over themselves to get into the boat, some amazing fish were caught by all the boats in camp. The boats are comfortable, well maintained, and the guides knowledgeable and very helpful. Two of our highlights were a full day trip into the upper reaches of the river (the picnic lunch we took with was great as well) as well as doing a run through the rapids. On the lodge side of things - there were some things that could do with some focus though. We arranged a road transfer from Kasane which was by far the best plan as it removed all the stress of crossing the border from Botswana as well as a speed boat to get across the river. The transfer vehicle though is a Chinese import and is certainly not in the best condition. On the other side it is only a short road and then boat transfer to the lodge. Arrival at the lodge was a bit disorganized, almost as though we weren't expected which got me a little nervous. The staff are very friendly, but the levels of service are pretty variable depending on which waiter is on duty. The manager was pretty much non existent, only really appearing halfway through dinner for a beer and some food. Being in the industry, these things are maybe an over expectation from my part, and, although would improve the level of the lodge, certainly were not a major detractor either. Highlights from the lodge were certainly getting laundry done while we were there, although some things did go missing and no real effort was made to replace them. By far the best part though was the food. Basic, but done well, and a lodge full of hungry fishermen were certainly fell fed. My travelling partner is gluten intolerant and the lodge went out of the way to make sure that she always had an alternative, which was great. We stayed in Room 3, which was quite nicely hidden away from the pathways and main lodge areas without being too far to haul fishing stuff. A little pathway through the bushes and a deck looking out over the river would turn this room into an incredible location.

Overall, one of the better fishing lodges along this stretch of the river, and we will certainly be returning!

Room tip: Specifically request NOT to be in Room 5 - it looks out directly on to the pool, main area, and entrance pathway.
Date of stay: August 2016