All reviews rosario resort moran mansion cascade bay mansion restaurant christopher peacock indoor pool organ concert the general manager main building orcas island music room bayside room cascade grill king room hillside room old mansion museum upstairs
Reviewed 10 August 2016

After reading the reviews I was a little weary of what to expect. We stayed in a harbor view room 2400 building- basically a condo with a king size bed, 2 bathrooms, living area with murphy bed and kitchen. The harbor view rooms are unique in that they can close the doors for different configurations, ie a 2 queen bedroom with the living and kitchen, just the king bedroom, or a combination. The views from our balconies (yes 2 balconies because we had the king bedroom and living area with murphy bed) were spectacular of the bay and marina. The furnishing were nice and the bedroom furniture looked to be recently updated. The bathrooms and kitchens were straight out of the 70's but everything was clean and in working order (with the exception of the toaster - that was a sticky mess and needs to be cleaned). We were surprised that housekeeping washed the dishes I left in the sink, I was going to wash them later that day. There is no dishwasher. We would stay here again. Our son swam in the heated pool and loved playing shuffle board.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Chicotravel
Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

We had the most wonderful time at this resort for our honeymoon. From the moment we walked in until the moment we left, we were treated like family by every employee at the resort. Every wait staff person, receptionist, and checkout clerk was incredibly helpful and personable. Literally did not have a single "off" interaction. We ate at the Mansion restaurant 2 out of the 3 nights on the island and I have reviewed that separately. We loved that there was a separate adults-only pool that was quiet and had delicious tropical drinks. The location of the resort is ideal as it sits right beside the gorgeous Moran State Park. The history of the mansion is fascinating. Talked with the food and beverage director for a while on our last night and he shared some plans for renovation and improvement over the next couple years. I'm so thrilled we discovered this place as its undergoing changes and improving. We loved our stay here and are thrilled its going to get even better!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nvaughn2
Reviewed 5 August 2016

At the suggestion of some friends who had stayed here about 10 years ago, I booked couple of nights on our honeymoon here for some R&R and beautiful scenery.

We flew in from Seattle by float plane (best part of the trip) which was a wonderful experience.

When we arrived at 3:30 our room was not ready, so the front desk instructed us to "throw our bags in the corner" until it was. There is no bellmen here, and the front desk staff is "efficient" at best. Since we would be departing by ferry, I asked the front desk if they had a shuttle or what would be the best way to the terminal. The lady handed me small scrap of paper with 4 phone numbers on it and said, "here, call one of these".

Despite my requests for a room close to (or in) the main inn, we were instead given a room in the "2100 Building" - the farthest building away. You have the option to walk it (about 1/2 mile all up hill) or they have a local guy with a rusted out 1980's custom van who will give you ride up there.

When we finally arrived at our room, the 2100 building which is two stories, our room was on the bottom floor. We could hear every move of the people above us, including their children running back and forth. Our view was of tree tops and the roof tops of the buildings below us. Again, despite my calling them ahead of time to ask about views, they assured me that "all of their rooms have great views". I guess the term "Great Views" is subjective.

We decided to have a nice dinner in the inn on our second night. For those who have not spent much time in the Pacific NW, it is world known for their great seafood. The main dining room menu had 2 seafood items, everything else was a mismatch. The service inattentive and down right pathetic.

On my way out of the restaurant I stopped back by the front desk and asked again about the shuttle for the ferry terminal. I was handed the same piece of paper and told to "call one of these".

The setting with this place is beautiful and there is great potential to be a nice resort. I would call it an "Inn" - service is NOT a priority. For the price I expected more of a Ritz Carlton level of service, but instead got more of a Red roof Inn. I have stayed in 6 Star hotels in Dubai, and 1 Star hotels in Cambodia - I received better services in Cambodia.

The only reason I gave Rosario a 2-star is because the beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean.

I would not recommend this Inn to anyone nor would I return.

Room Tip: If they give you a room in the 2100 Building, CANCEL!
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank M H
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2016

Dear Mark H, Thank you for your comments and I apologize for your experience. Comments such as your certainly help us to improve our services for those that arrive by float plane. Our website and reservations agents are very clear about the necessity of having a rental car while on Orcas Island, as it is difficult to get around without one.

Christopher Peacock
Rosario Resort & Spa

Reviewed 5 August 2016

The resort was a very nice experience. We checked in without a hitch and was directed to the hillside units 1900 which had a great view of the harbor and sound. The room was comfortable, the bed was extra comfy. The bathroom spacious. Very nice accommodations. We spent 2 nights there had 1 dinner at the resort, which was good and went whale watching for 1 day.
I would recommend this hotel and resort to all.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2016

When we first arrived to check-in I said "I feel like this is that summer resort in Dirty Dancing". The mansion is beautiful and the front desk staff were very informative and helpful. Our room was as to be expected and pretty small. I get what other reviewers are saying about them being outdated (the bathroom/sink area especially) but honestly it wasn't that big of an issue to us. They could have been bigger I guess but we try not to spend much time in our room when on vacation so we didn't mind. The view from our balcony was spectacular, overlooking the bay. Our daughter loved exploring the little beach and playing in the ample grass areas. We enjoyed eating at the outdoor grill because she could play within that area while we had a cocktail and waited for our order (the service and order accuracy was very hit or miss though). We did a 3 hour kayak tour from the Rosario beach and it was all our favorite experience. Bottom line: I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family