All reviews hunt room turn down service historic hotel hunt club bourbon distillery luxury destination distillery tour exquisite hotel the private beach club marriott autograph hotel lounge resort stay marble bathroom garden view grounds are beautiful hotel experiences room with queen beds
Reviewed 27 June 2018

The Cavalier was recently renovated and the grounds are lovely. So many great spots to lounge and read a book or just relax. Our room was very nice albeit small. And the hotel is away from the congested parts of Virginia Beach, which we appreciated. And a shout out to Febreezes, the bell man. He was delightful.

But, so many inconsistencies and bad experiences. So many we won't return.

The door handle to our room wouldn't work. Wouldn't have been a big deal except we couldn't get out of the room. Engineering (over) explained to us how they kept the original heavy doors and weren't allowed to touch the handles or they'd void the warranty. Sure, I'll be sure to remember that in the event of an emergency when I can't get out of our room. Fix the doors! Pretty basic.

The beach club will be awesome, once it's finished. For now, it's a construction zone you have to meander through. And prepare yourself for a 5-minute walk across 4 lanes of traffic. (Good luck with the shuttle; more about that later.) Security seems a bit extreme, so we assumed there are a lot of non-hotel guests wandering in. We were stopped in the parking lot, at the registration desk, before we found lounge chairs and as we were exiting the club to go check out the beach. So not exactly a relaxing experience.

The restaurant was a disaster. We arrived for a 7:30 reservation in the outside sunken garden. Our server didn't approach us until 8:00. We ordered drinks and, since we had so much time, we were ready to order. Around 8:20, just as I was wondering "where the heck is my drink?" the server returns to announce, "I haven't gotten around to ordering your drink yet. I'll do that now." Wait, what? Haven't gotten around to it? So kudos for your candor but I'm not impressed with your service abilities. Around 9:00, she brings my drink with our appetizers. So I leave to go speak to the hostess and share we're having a horrible experience and how I think waiting an hour for a bowl of soup and a drink is absurd. She said she'd go speak with the manager. I think the manager shows up (she didn't introduce herself), she apologizes, and explains there is a big event going on and the kitchen "is backed up." If she was trying to solicit empathy, we were too hungry and irritated to offer any. She said our dinner would be out shortly, and I asked her to define shortly. She had to go ask the chef. She returned with a 15-20 minute "rush" estimate, which at that point meant 9:30. We said we were leaving. Entire experience was amateurish and clearly showed events were a priority.

Next up was the music. We chose this hotel to avoid the noisier parts of the beach. We returned to our room hungry, irritated and ready to just get some sleep and try again the next day. Our son was participating in a sand soccer tournament early the next morning so he needed some sleep. Around 9:40, the jazz band starts. At that point, my head was about to implode. I called the front desk. The woman offers ear plugs. (Seriously.) $650 a night and we should wear ear plugs? She placed me on hold for what felt like an eternity and returns to tell me the hotel is full and the best she can do is the ear plugs. I ask to speak to the manager. The manager does work out something with the event and ends the music early. She also offers to provide breakfast because she feels horrible our kiddo was going to bed without dinner and had an early game. She was great but I explained maybe they should plan room assignments better in the future. It's rude to assume all guests want to hear loud music until midnight.

Valet took 30 minutes. Again, an event was distracting them. So the next time we called ahead and still waited 15 minutes -- and no one else was there waiting for their car! It didn't look like they had to go far to get the cars; it seemed as if they were disorganized.

And then little things like the shuttle. Our first day at the hotel, we took the shuttle to the downtown area but, on another day, a man at the reception desk said "the shuttle is only for wedding guests." We decided to walk. We were over the inconsistencies and bad service at that point. The hotel services book indicates: "The Cavalier provides complimentary shuttle service within three miles of the hotel. Please check with the Reception for today's schedule." It should read "We're pretty fickle about our shuttle. Don't plan on it if there's any event going on at our hotel."

So events are the priority. If you're looking at the Cavalier for an event, carry on. If you're eyeballing this hotel for a relaxing stay with great service, lower your expectations. There aren't many choices in Virginia Beach, but this one is not worth the price tag. It's a 5-star hotel on the outside but a 2-star hotel on the inside. Again, we won't give it a second chance.

Room tip: If you risk it, ask for a room away from the event tent and the sunken garden.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Lori S
Nick N, Guest Relations Manager at Cavalier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Lori S,

Thank you so much for providing feedback on your recent stay. I am quite shocked and would love the opportunity to speak with you further concerning your stay. Please feel free to contact me at nick.nations@cavalierhotel.com to provide the best contact number to reach you. I would truly welcome the opportunity to make this right for you.

Nick Nations

Reviewed 25 June 2018

If you are looking for an Indoor Olympic pool with 11 ft depth and also Ocean faced the room, this is the hotel you are looking for. This hotel has two buildings one on the broadway and another one 300 meters away from the first hotel.

Room tip: The building close to the ocean which is on the atlantic avenue is the best if you want an ocean facing room
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank VishakhCherian
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

We came in for Sunday brunch (late as hell for our reservation, mind you) and everyone was SO NICE even though we were late. We sat outside and Stephen was our server. He was charming, charismatic, and read our vibes well. Attentive and quick service! We had a great time! Thank you Stephen, and thank you Cavalier Hotel!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

So thankful this wonderful hotel was not only restored, but perhaps even surpasses it's former opulence. In just a two night stay we celebrated 2 birthdays & a wedding anniversary at this recently reopened resort. I can't say enough about the comfortable rooms and attention to detail. Between myself and friends, we experienced a king garden view room and a suite. Both met or exceeded expectations for rest, entertaining, and ablutions! The in-room coffee service was also exceptional. With the beach club across the street, there is nothing comparable to a resort stay like this anywhere in the area.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank trvlgrly
Reviewed 20 June 2018

Had a wonderful dinner at Becca's. The wait staff was highly professional and very helpful. I am lactose intolerant,so the server walked me through a few options and even checked with the chef to make sure my order was not made with butter. Sure enough, it was. He recommended two other entrees that were better for me. From beginning to end, we were able to have very enjoyable evening. Love the server from Texas!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple