Reviews (1 222)
1 222 results
All reviews movie theater kids eat free isle of capri indoor lazy river splash camp kids club whale restaurant movie room paying adult the north end kids room main pool across the street poolside bar breakfast restaurant hot tub quiet end
262 - 267 of 1 222 reviews
Reviewed 4 April 2016

Great first trip to Va Beach thanks to Holiday Inn North Shore. We were in 4th floor oceanfront, and loved everything about the room. Living area was large enough to fit a cot even when the foldout bed was open too. Bathroom area could be closed off from both rooms for privacy. AC units worked well, and very quickly.

Highlight of this hotel (according to my 5 & 3 year old) was the indoor pool with lazy river. Most of the pool area is only 3ft deep, so both boys could swim on their own with floatation devices. They could have stayed in there for hours. Theatre area and kids kamp were nice perks for the boys too.

Only ate at the Greenery for breakfast and did not visit any of the other hotel restaurants, but breakfast was good. ~$13 for breakfast buffet with made to order omelets, and kids eat free.

If I had to find one downfall in this hotel, it would be the elevators. Tiny, slooooww elevators that could barely fit one of their own luggage rollers. Would have to wait 4-5 elevator cars at times before we could fit with either luggage, baby stroller, etc. Stairs to the 4th floor weren't bad, but difficult with a 7 month old and all his gear in tow.

Room Tip: Recommend rooms away from elevator and stairwell for more quiet
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2016 via mobile

I decided I wanted to check out this hotel to possibly come back for a leisure visit some time in the future. So I stayed here on business since I am a gold member with IHG with Holiday Inn. I had one night reserved at a the rate of $114. I decided to add a night. I called the hotel directly and told them I would be willing to stay a second night if I could stay under $120 plus tax. I cannot go over $120 plus tax per night per company guidelines. She said no problem. I checked in and the girl at the front desk was very friendly. They even upgraded me to a suite which was a very nice touch.
The Hotel itself was nice. The only issue was the big outdoor pool was closed (it was off season so I understood) and the indoor pool that was supposed to be heated was super cold..
I walked in and out of the hotel many times during my 2 day visit and always tried to acknowledge the people at the front desk with a friendly hello, etc. The staff on the other hand could of cared less. Very unfriendly and just disregarded me and other hotel guests. They didnt wabt to be bothered, that's fine. Not everyone is nice but seeming I was in a resort town you would of thought that they had the best customer service skills and we're the most friendly staff ever, not the opposite. That totally surprised me.
So the day of checkout I get a bill under my door when I wake up at 5:45am. The rate on the bill was $133 for each night. I called down to the front desk and explained my situation about what I was supposed to be charged. She said she would advice her manager when she comes in at 7am. I said great and thank you.
So here is where the big issue and my complaint comes into play. I went to the front desk and told them my room number and asked if the rate issue was rectified per the girl I spoke with earlier on the phone. The gentleman had no idea what I was talking about. I then proceeded to tell him the rate I was to be charged for each night. He claimed that was not the case in a very unfriendly manner. He stated "That is the rate" and I must pay that rate. I told him I had an email with my confirmation for the first night at the rate of $114 but I had to get on the road and not spend my time on this matter, He said No. I must produce the email. I said your implying I am a liar and he was very adimate that I must produce the email. So it took me a few minutes and I was starting to get a little angry at his very bad attitude towards me. I then showed him the email and he said that's fine with discontent, but he will change the first nights rate. I said what about the 2nd nights rate of $120 I was told over the phone. I said she must have noted it in the system and he said she had not done so. He asked the banquet manager also there about this matter and they said without proof he would not change the current rate of $133 to $120. I then got angry and told him I travel for a living and stay at Holiday Inn properties most of the time. I have never been called a liar not once but twice. I told him he has the worst attitude I have ever encountered and I will give the hotel a bad review and he could of cared less. Its about 40 minutes at this point and I still have to drive 3.5 hrs to DC and catch a flight. I told him to forget it all and I will call and speak with the general manager and see what they have to say about the whole matter. At that point he said he would reduce both rates to where they were supposed to be. I asked him if he could change the bill reflecting the rates of $114 for night one and $120 for the second night. He said he nor the manager had no idea how to do this. I said can you at least recalculate the correct amount to be credited between the rate difference and the differences in the taxes. He tried for a few minutes and had no clue. He could not figure it out. It's basic math, Unreal. So to make it easy on himself he just gave me a $50 credit on the bill. That was fine. This was for business and I must now explain the situation once again to my boss and the company accoutant due to error. The matter was somewhat resolved 45-50 minutes later. I told him now he has made me late and that he has taken up my valuable time. This whole matter could of been taking care of so much better in about 5 minutes, not almost an hour. His attitude still has not gotten any better at this point, possible even worse. I went to my car and I then saw him leave. So he must have worked overnight and was tired and grumpy. He probably wanted to just get out of work and not be bothered. If that's the case then he should be let go. The Hotel staff should be pleasant, friendly and willing to handle the needs of the hotel customers. Not degrade the hotel guests and have such a poor attitide. He even gave me a dirty look on the way to his car. Normally I we would of confronted him based on that but I was running very late now because of the incompetence of this hotel. I have been traveling for work since 1998 and have never encountered this type of behavior.
The next step was I wrote a letter to the general manager of the hotel and it came back to my email stating it was undeliverable. So they must have an outdated email on the website as well. Big surprise. So the next logical step was to contact customer service at International Hotel Group, IHG and I informed them of the very poor encounter I had with this hotel. Also could they please forward my letter in email to the hotel telling them of my dissatisfaction with there hotel.
About 4 days later I got an email from IHG stating they were sorry and they would give me 5000 points for the hassle. I thought that was great of them. Now about 3 weeks go by and someone from management called from the hotel and wanted to discuss this matter. I tried calling back and leaving various messages to this woman to call me back. To this date, no call back. I am totally outraged with this hotel. They can't even address the issue and have the common courtesy to get back to me. Possibly apologize and at least try and make it up to me in some manner. It just proves my theory. VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
3  Thank Tomtravelsalot
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2016

Dear Tomtravelsalot,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class experience, however, it appears we fell short of our goal on your visit. We would like to apologize for the less than satisfactory level of service you received from our staff. We also regret the issues you had with the charge. Your feedback is troubling and will surely be looked into. Rest assured it will be reviewed and most certainly be forwarded to the appropriate departments to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. In addition, we have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay.

We value you as an IHG Rewards Club Gold member and hope to have another opportunity to provide you with a much better experience.

Joel A
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 3 April 2016

We were visiting in October and so we didn't get to experience all the pools, but my kids LOVED the indoor pool. They would've spent all their time in there if Mom had wanted to stay as well.

The staff were super helpful and friendly. The hotel was so nice, the suite was spacious and clean as well. While the weather wasn't warm, the balcony was great with a beautiful view of the beach and boardwalk. We had a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank akdbs
Reviewed 28 March 2016 via mobile

This place is a must when visiting VA Beach especially if you have kids. As soon as I arrived I was greeted with a smile and willingness to help me unload my vehicle and being my bags up for me. That was a blessing bc I was traveling with two small kids. The The ladies that work in the kids play area are a wonderful group of people. The supervisor (didn't get her name) she's amazing with the kids. Our stay was just awesome it was so good my daughter asked to stay for the rest of her life. Lol.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Latoya D
Reviewed 25 March 2016 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay. Steve makes the best omlettes! Great view of sunrise. Close to local attractions. 3 pools. 3 restaurants on site. The suites overlooking the ocean are big and lots of room with amazing view.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family