“Only send your worst enemies”
Review of Fish in a Barrel

Fish in a Barrel
Ranked #21 of 32 Restaurants in Stephens City
Reviewed 14 June 2015 via mobile

Tried out the local business today. I am a huge fan of fresh seafood and was excited that we may have a good source of seafood in the valley. I asked if the soft crabs for the sandwich were still alive or were frozen. (Any good seafood place understands there is a difference) The lady scoffed and said "we don't carry anything alive"The cases had very few items. All were previously frozen. They advertised "live oysters". There was a bucket of oysters sitting on ice but they were all popped open slightly and clearly dead. Normal shops immediately throw them out because of the risk of sickness. Obviously she wasn't kidding about not having live seafood. I ordered the shrimp po boy figuring that the shrimp were frozen and would not make me sick. It came with slaw (appeared old and very soggy) there was nothing on the sandwich but the shrimp. No lettuce tomato or sauces. Just shrimp on a bun. My friend got the scallop plate. He was given slaw to eat first then his sad looking five scallops came out on a plate. Nothing else. Clearly no passion went into the meal or presentation. They appeared raw in the middle and crispy on the edges. My other friend had the crab cake. It was a crumbly joke. On the way out I noticed the tubs of crab meat all had bright white meat. After looking closer it was labeled as an imported product from over seas. $15 for shrimp on a bun a can of soda and soggy slaw. Save your money and get the fish sandwich at McDonald's it will be a better meal and is probably more fresh.

2  Thank Sunsaltsand

Reviewed 16 April 2015

I have now tried to support a local business THREE times since they opened, and I keep getting the same old story. When I entered and looked at the "fresh" case, I was greeted by rather sketchy looking remnants of what was likely leftover from last week (this was Wednesday afternoon), and only about a meager 20 percent of the case displaying anything. The very confused elderly woman working there repeated what I had heard all three visits before over a period of a year.."My inventory is low,I have lot's in the freezer". Well, as I never buy frozen fish at a real fish market, I let her know that, and she only stated, again, what she repeated twice before: "We get it fresh, and we freeze it"...looking at their non commercial grade freezer, I am highly skeptical of the quality of anything frozen there, and as I never buy frozen fish (Even Wegmans Fish Department employees suggest never buying frozen white fish), I highly doubt the quality of anything sold there. The prices easily justify a drive to Wegmans in Leesburg, and that's exactly what I will do in the future!

Reviewed 8 April 2015

I only tried the lobster bisque, but it was delicious, though a little pricey (around $9). The woman working was nice.

1  Thank Josh H
Reviewed 8 January 2015

My mom and brother live near Fish in a Barrel, and they've been raving about the quality of the fish for a while now. My brother, who is a huge sushi fan and a fish connoisseur, claims the salmon is the best he's ever had. So, while my sister and I were visiting for the holidays we insisted on trying it. We brought the salmon home and prepared it as the star of our Christmas Eve feast. I'm happy to report it was excellent! It was actually the best salmon I've had in years. My sister agreed, and she lives in San Francisco with access to the best of all things culinary. I will definitely go back to Fish in a Barrel anytime I'm in the area! It's a real gem.

2  Thank TMcRussell
Reviewed 8 October 2014

Super fresh seafood! The place was clean and the prepared foods were delicious! I highly recommend this little gem!!

3  Thank lily05031