Sandy River Retreat Log Cabin Farm Stay
US$85
Quality Inn(Burkeville)
US$84
Priceline
Amelia Inn & Suites(Amelia Court House)
US$100
TripAdvisor
Hotel Weyanoke(Farmville)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsadventure parkadventure courselock the doormeadow viewloft bedroomfire pitrent bikeshigh bridgesandy riveryurtsstoveteepeedrivewaylinenspropertyinternetsink
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 January 2018

This was a return trip to Sandy River. A few years earlier we came here stayed at the Chalet cabin and wanted to return. When we saw the new tipis we figured why not, the weather wasn't too cool and we needed a weekend getaway. We stayed in the Dreamcatcher and were pleasantly surprised by how comfortable the tipi was. It looks nice in pictures but I tempered my expectations because it is a tipi. There was more room than I expected, bed is comfortable, furniture and decor fitting of a tipi. The small kitchenette was perfect for a weekend stay and the bathroom area was more than sufficient with a large glass shower. It was everything I expected and turned out to be even a little better. I will caution people that it is a tipi, no walls/insulation, it won't be silent and temperatures will vary a lot depending on outdoor temperature. There is heat and A/C, but you are still camping even if it is glamping. We enjoyed our weekend without issue and went to the Adventure Park, also part of the property. Checking in and out is easy, be sure to check your email/voicemail before arriving. They do ask when you are arriving to have the tipi ready. We were arriving slightly later and called when we arrived. A staff member met us at the parking area, driving us and our luggage to tipi in a golf cart. Checking out was no hassle, nothing to charge to a room, pack up lock the door and receive a email receipt. Looking forward to staying here again, and recommend to anyone looking for a place to stay that isn't the norm with access to outdoor activities.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

The “glamming tipis” get 3 stars as accommodations, and 1 Star for the management.

The Dreamcatcher tipi was lovely and well designed, with a nice area for the family to hangout, a cute set of bunk beds for the kids downstairs and a sleeping loft for the parents. Very cozy and peaceful. In general, a great place for a family getaway.

The negatives: there was a fair amount of road noise. It was freezing in the tipi at night. Granted, when we stayed, the temperatures at night were well below freezing. But the heating setup was inadequate and bedding was not warm enough for really cold weather (no down comforters and only 1 substantial extra blanket, which they really need). Fortunately, we had long underwear and wool socks. But, this was not what I expect when the accommodations are advertised as “heated”.

More concerning, most of the heat was provided by space heater, some with open heating coils. But we could not find any smoke detectors (or CO2 detectors) near the beds, where you put the space heaters at night. It’s only a matter of time before a space heater tips over or is too close to a bed and there is a fire.

The management was a disaster. They just leave the tipis unlocked and expect you to find your own and settle in. But without a map, we were going from tipi to tipi trying to figure it out which was ours. It is completely self checkin.

There was no key to the door in our tipi. The management never answered the phone when I called. But when I texted, she said it was safe, and to leave the tipi unlocked. Which made us nervous, with our personal possessions inside.

The next day, my family went to explore and I took a nap. Unlocked door, because no key. 2 strangers, including a strange man, walked in and woke me up and said I was in “their” tipi. I showed them my invoice and told them they probably had the wrong tipi, but they insisted not. They went and found a staff member to evict me, and she also said I should not be there— despite my showing her the invoice indicating that I was in the right tipi and confirmed/ paid through the following day. When I refused to pack up and leave (standing in my PJs in the bitter cold), she made some phone calls and discovered that the couple had walked into the wrong tipi. Why did the staff member not check this as the very first thing?

The staff member shrugged, told me this wasn’t her fault because she didn’t handle bookings, and left. Okay then.

I had expected the management would contact us to apologize, explain and deal with the mixup in a professional manner, perhaps offer to comp a portion of our trip, a meal,etc., but she did not. When I tried to call, no answer. When I texted her that evening, she said that she was out of town, and expected guests and staff to let her know if there was a problem. Which no one had. So— not her fault either.

Apparently, it was no ones fault, because no one ever took responsibility. No one from the owners or management ever spoke to me/us personally

Again— no one helping guests check in, tipis unlocked (ours with no key to lock the door after arrival) and a strange man waking me up from a nap and telling me to leave. This predictable and preventable, given the checkin set up. But still freaked me out, since I am a woman and was alone in a rural area at the the time. And the management just did not seem to care.

Also, they are doing construction on the premises, so we were all woken up by a chainsaw very near our tipi before 8 am the first day. And the noise continued for most of the morning. Not exactly the lazy, relaxing morning I had planned.

We would love to come back for the facilities (not in the winter, once they have smoke and CO2 detectors) and would normally recommend this to all of our friends as a great long weekend, fall break getaway. But not unless and until they get new management. And NOT in the winter.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

Sandy River Retreat is a wonderful peaceful place to stay. We stayed in a cabin with all ammineties you could ask for. The grounds were lovely. The farm amanals were a treat to visit every day. Although we didn't zip line this trip will surely give it a try next time and yes there will be a next time and that stay will be in the Tipis on sight. They were beautifully decorated.
The owners are wonderful friendly people and their staff was great.
If there was a 10 rating that's what I would give Sandy River Retreat...

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Candice S, Public Relations Manager at Sandy River Retreat Log Cabin Farm Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2017

Thanks for the review, we're glad you had such a great time here!

Reviewed 19 July 2017

We stayed in the Meadow view cottage and found all the comforts of home. It was a clean, comfortable, and peaceful place to stay. It was a short distance to the High Bridge Trail and the cottage was a great place to take a break between AM and evening rides. We enjoyed the porches, the farm animals and the chickens. The only problem was finding what driveway to enter; luckily the owner was home and helped us out. Can't wait to return to see the yurts that were being built while we were there. Friendly owners, environment and community. Enjoy the local restaurants as well.

Room Tip: best views and very private
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank DAB153
Candice S, Public Relations Manager at Sandy River Retreat Log Cabin Farm Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We are excited about the tipis also; we will be opening our 2nd one in August! Thanks for the review, have a tree-mendous day!

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

My family of 4 stayed here on an impromptu mini vacation of 2 nights. I had been looking at this retreat for some time now online and was very happy to find out they were available on such short notice. We've never stayed at a place like this before, so we didn't know quite what to expect. The Chalet is very cute and clean. It had everything we needed for the 4 us, minus 1 large plate, all the dishes were in 4. I would suggest a better light above the stove though. The sink was missing it's plug which made washing dishes different. They had everything else you would need though, including some unexpected extras, that were nice. The farm is cute, they had donkeys and sheep in a field across from the other cabins and near the adventure park. There was a friendly pony named Doodle near the chalet that we spoke to while walking our dog a few times. We saw the chickens once, but never did find their eggs. They also have a little pond out back with lots of frogs and is surrounded by a blanket of fireflies at night. Very nice to experience, as we don't get things like that in the city. The way the TV works is a bit quirky. Both have to be on the same channel and can only be changed from upstairs. It works out alright though. The Internet however was some what of a let down. It went in and out and could not even be picked up by our devices at times. Being city slickers this was testing for my kids and husband, but I rather enjoyed them not being able to use them much, lol. We were looking forward to the hammock being on the balcony like in the pictures, but it was in the trees instead. I'm sure they had good reason for moving it. We did not do the adventure park this time, but it was just a stone throw away. Our first day there, we could hear all the chatter and the kids from over there, at which my husband was not too happy about, but it didn't last long. We did rent bikes and do the High Bridge trail. I wish there had been some other way to bring our dog along with us on the bike ride, as we chose to get the 2 person trike with battery assist in order to carry him and the battery part was not working the day we needed it of course. She warned us it would be difficult without the battery, but we already had our dog with us so went ahead and used leg power. It was harder than we anticipated, but got in a good workout! The girls loved riding the trail cruisers though. Next time we'll have to suck it up and leave our dog at the cabin. We find out about many other things to do in the area, but did not have time this trip. I'm hoping I can convince some family members to go there and stay in the cottage they have there for a few more nights and really experience all this place has to offer!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family