“It was a great day on Gungha II”

Bay of Islands Sailing/Gungha II
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our day of sailing was as good as I could imagine it could get. Captain Mike and his crew, Melissa, were super, with Mike having lots of sailing stories to keep us entertained when we were not looking at the scenery. The Bay of Islands are super. Finding some penguins and dolphins was a big plus. The lunch was good and there seemed to be a never ending supply of snacks. I was amazed at how efficient Melissa was in taking care of all the guests. If you are near the Bay of Islands, I highly recommend this trip.

All reviews
"island stop"
in 7 reviews
"beautiful island"
in 6 reviews
"highly recommend this trip"
in 5 reviews
"cant wait"
"small group"
"couple of hours"

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

In a small group of about 12 (compared to the 100's on the other boats) we all had a really fun time with Mike and Melissa. Mike is an excellent captain with a lifetime of training and experience, and his crew Melissa is also experienced. Both are personable, professional and make being on the Gungha II incredibly comfortable, from information about the area, to excellent snacks and sandwiches (best popcorn ever!). I am so pleased I was on their boat - I had a great time and got to see penguins, dolphins and rays because they keep a keen ear and eye out and clearly have great relationships with local companies add well.

Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

Spent a wonderful day on the Gungha II. I don’t usually review but if I’d gone by TripAdvisor rating alone, I would have missed out on this opportunity. If your goal is to have a relaxing day of sailing (versus just being on a boat), a chance to help crew the boat, snorkel, and spend beach/hike time on a secluded island in a small group setting then this is the trip for you. Where you go depends on the day but you are in great hands with Mike and Melissa who create a casual, safe environment and share some of their adventures with you. For someone who enjoys sailing, this was a great experience. I did another boat trip the day before but strongly preferred the more personal atmosphere of this one with a focus on sailing.

Reviewed 25 February 2018

Mike and Melissa were the ultimate hosts on this amazing sailing yacht. You always felt safe and catered after. Mike kept his eye on the wildlife and was able to get us right beside a wonderful school of dolphins, with a baby beside them. It was awesome. The sail itself was wonderful - lots of room on the boat. We went to an island and I swam ashore, but he had a dingy that Melissa took people to the beach in so you did not have to swim. Plus they had snorkel gear - sot They thought of everything. I would 100% recommend Mike’s outfit for a fabulous day adventure i the Bay of Islands.

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 February 2018

As an adventure tour operator, I always seek the best product for my customers. Our annual day-sail with Mike on Gungha II is a huge highlight of our NZ trip. He offers a grand experience whether there is a light breeze or plenty of wind. I've just completed trip #17 with Mike and he blows me away (sorry) each time with his energy and attentiveness to everyone. He LOVES his job and it shows. Mike chooses smart crew who reflect his personable and safety-conscious leadership. The Bay of Islands are stunning and the most brilliant way to enjoy them is on Gungha II.