“What a Finding! ”

Ranked #1 of 57 Restaurants in Pals
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Found Vicus by chance through a search, but it is a lovely restaurant with great, sophisticated versions of Catalan classics.

Wines choice is broad and we had a great local white. Service is flawless. Food is delicious.

1  Thank Laura S
GerardGC, Propietario at Vicus Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your visit. We are glad to hear that your experience at Vicus was so positive. We hope to see you soon. Kind regards. Gerard

Reviewed 24 April 2018

It gives me no pleasure to write a critical review when the owner and his wife try so hard, but I must be objective in my comments.

Firstly the location outside the old town is helpful in respect of a large free adjoining parking lot.

The restaurant is housed in the previous dining room of the Hosta Barris and therefore can be reached from both the street and by connecting corridor from the hotel. It is a very large room including a bar area and as such lacks any 'cosy' or intimate atmosphere, the lighting is bright.

A short menu but an excellent wine list, all tested and tried by the owner!

For starters my wife and I had the Duck confit cannelloni. This was served at a tepid temperature, maybe this was intended but it marred our enjoyment.

For mains my wife had the rice with pork ribs and for myself the boneless lamb. My lamb was served as a rectangular shape of shredded meat, tender yes but with nothing else on the plate a totally unappetising experience. I became tired of just eating lamb. For my wife the same problem, meat and rice incorporated into a single presentation with again nothing else on the plate.

I did enjoy the Goat cheesecake

With wine a cost of some €150 Euros and not money well spent

1  Thank stillworkingat68
GerardGC, Propietario at Vicus Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Dear customer,
We really appreciate your opinion. We are sorry you didn't find 'cosy' our dining room and the temperature of the starter wasn't the right one. We will of course take into consideration your comments.
In relation to the organic boneless lamb from Cal Tomàs, please note that it was actually served with artichokes and apple aliloli.
The locally grown rice from L'Estany de Pals was served with pork ribs and morels (seasonal mushrooms). This is one of our most popular dishes and, as it happens with the lamb, it is served with what is stated on the menu, nothing else.
Thanks and regards,
Gerard

Reviewed 25 November 2017

An amazing restaurant with a very cosy and quiet atmosphere. The meals were fantastic, and so fresh and (as the waiter/owner) advised us, all the ingredients were sourced locally. After our wonderful dinner we were even given small 'treats' to finish as a token of appreciation. Cannot speak highly enough of this restaurant. And the best part... it was very moderately priced!

1  Thank TAFE
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

Would definitely recommend this restaurant. It isn't in the old town but it didn't matter at all once you were inside. The service was excellent and the food even better. There were some 'alternative' food options, such as the pigs trotter carpaccio however it was very tasty.
The lamb and pork ribs were very nice as mains.
The chocolate desert is VERY rich so only have if you love dark chocolate or you can share!
Would definitely go again!

Reviewed 9 September 2017

We got there without reservation, but got table within 5 min.
Place is chic, modern, food is unforgettable, service is top notch.
Wine was incredible.
After lunch we asked for kitchen tour.
Cannot wait for the next year to visit this place again

1  Thank Alex M