“Fantastic location and brilliant hosts”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Cortijo Carranque

Typical Scenery
Lakes to the North
Wonderful Walking
Citrus Orchards
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 15 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Dazeyduke...
“Fantastic location and brilliant hosts”
Reviewed 21 September 2013 for a stay in September 2013
person found this review helpful

I attended with a group for a wedding. I had a two year old with me and have to say I was amazed at how accomodating Angela and Martin were. They went out of their way to ensure my daughter had toys to play with, that all of the rooms were extremely clean and well stocked with all of the neceessaries. The location is literally in the middle of nowhere and is perfect for relaxation. My partner and I loved it and will be back. My daughter didn't want to leave!!
They both know the area and its history and are extremely helpful in directing trips and recommending places to eat and visit.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The peace and picturesqueness
Travelling group: Large Group
Families with young children Large groups
Helen T
Ringwood, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderfully peaceful and relaxing”
Reviewed 18 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013

Have just returned from two wonderful weeks staying at this wonderful place. Angela and Martin were lovely hosts and could not be more accommodating. If we needed anything we not had to ask. They even leant us their sun hats when w e mentioned we needed to buy some from somewhere! We were a party of 2 adults and 5 teenagers (including 4 15 year old boys), despite this were welcomed like family. We ordered an evening meal for out arrival day (recommended) and then cooked our own meals in the fabulous kitchen for the rest of stay. We did our food shopping in Coin, which gave us a choice of three very good supermarkets. There are also a good choice of restaurants if you prefer to eat out - I recommend the Indian! We hired a mini bus and went out every other day, Rhonda was lovely and a trip to the lakes is a must (we did it twice). mijas is also a very beautiful and unspoilt mountain village as we found the seaside resorts tacky and spoilt with mass tourism. The rest of the time was spent relaxing and reading by the pool during the day (big enough for our party) and playing board games in the cloisters at night. If you are looking for a fun filled, alcoholic fuelled holiday with nightclubs and bars galore then this is not the place for you. It's set down a very dusty track and really off the beaten track but oh so worth the journey for the peaceful tranquility.

A great place for the more active among you as there are a great many walks hikes that the hosts can recommend and plenty of singletrack for the mountain bikers (my husband took his bike and enjoyed the many hill climbs that the area had to offer), plus the river is just a 2 minute walk if you fancy that too.

Highly recommended for those that need to relax and unwind in beautiful settings.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The peacefulness of it
Liked least: The ants - not a lot that the owners can do about that though!
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
rlupetin
New York
“The perfect taste of rural Spain”
Reviewed 3 July 2013 for a stay in June 2013
person found this review helpful

The word that comes to mind for this trip is "warmth". From the weather to the hosts, it's all about being comfortable and welcomed. We actually had two greeting committees. The first was the herd of goats crossing the road as we approached the property. Next we were welcomed by the owners, Angela and Martin, with hugs, handshakes, and the requisite kisses on both cheeks.

The place is not for those who want room service and a pedicure. It's for those who want to wake to roosters, lounge by a lovely pool surrounded by lemon trees, barbecue in a beautiful courtyard, and relax in the perfect weather of Andalucia in a wonderfully restored cloister. A bottle of wine, some freshly picked oranges, surrounded by a dizzying array of flowers (lavendar, rosemary, myrrh, etc) - it's as close to heaven as you can get.

We rented a car, since that's the only way to access the property. We also took trips to nearby Marbella (about 1/2 hour) for the beach, the spectacular cliffs of Ronda (for brave drivers only), and the cosy town of Tolox (get the family style lunch). Our friends brought a GPS, and it helped immensely since the area is dominated by traffic circles and directions like, "make a left turn at the big white rock."

Malaga is also a relatively quick 30-40 minute drive where you can visit some great museums (Picasso) and historical sites, in case you want to break up the monotony of absolutely stress-free tranquility or if you want to listen to cars instead of the melody of goats, birds, and the lone donkey in the next field.

However, as this was sandwiched between trips to Barcelona and Madrid, we used it as an opportunity to just unwind and relax. Great conversations with the hosts accented the time we spent here.

About the only drawback was the general shortage of water the area experiences. The perfect dry weather comes at a cost of little rain. Bottled water and short showers are required. Remember, this is not the Westin hotel: it's a farmhouse in the Andalucian countryside.

We can't wait to go back.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The pool. The hosts. The flora AND fauna.
Liked least: Water restrictions
Travelling group: Teenagers
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
Megan2986...
Ankara, Turkey
“A place of beauty, quiet, rest and healing”
Reviewed 29 May 2013 for a stay in February 2012
person found this review helpful

My husband and I came to Cortijo Carranque more for a retreat than a vacation. We were searching for an affordable place where we could rest up before beginning new jobs overseas. I arrived exhausted and heartbroken from having to say goodbye to my family and dearest friends. On the way, Peter, trying to help me calm down asked me what was one thing that I thought I'd see in Spain that would make me smile. I whispered "Seeing mountains". I have always loved the mountains, they remind me of God and make me feel "hemmed in" and secure.
We were surrounded by mountains! And orange and lemon trees. And lovely birds singing. And warm sunshine. It was so healing to my raw heart, over and over I kept thinking God does know how to give good gifts to His children and thanking Him for knowing exactly what I needed.
The hosts, Angela and Martin immediately felt like long lost friends, so open-hearted, sensitive to our needs and caring.
We were able to sleep in as long as we wanted and enjoyed a leisurely, European style breakfast every morning (bread, cheeses, sliced meats, fruit, yogurt, cereal, fresh squeezed orange juice from freshly picked oranges!, jams, the most delicious honey from mountain bees)
Then I usually went outside, found a chair in the yard in the back by the pool and camped out there until lunch time (2 or 3 in the afternoon) taking in the beauty around me and trying to listen for God. It wasn't hard!
Then we would enjoy an authentic Spanish lunch cooked by their Spanish neighbour, then often Peter and I would go for a long walk exploring paths through the valley, up and down the rolling hills, along the rivers, talking and taking in the beauty and the sun and the fresh air.
On days we wanted to get out and sightsee, Martin and Angela graciously arranged that all for us too.
What a treasure of a place!

How easy was it to book the property? Overall condition of the property
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The scenery surrounding the place.
Liked least: Nothing!
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 February 2013 for a stay in February 2013

Liked best: Owners Hospilitality & Peaceful,Beautiful Location
Liked least: Andalucian Properties not equipped to cope with Cold Weather, inadequate heating at times
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$233
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing