“Great Barbecue, great prices, on HWy 151 in Virginia”
Review of Blue Ridge Pig

Blue Ridge Pig
Ranked #8 of 12 Restaurants in Nellysford
Reviewed 2 June 2018

We stoped for lunch on a Saturday. Service was very slow but the food was good. They only take cash and checks. Great Lemonade. We had both eat beef and pork barbecue sandwiches. All good.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 1 June 2018

We just spent Memorial Weekend at the Wintergreen Resort May 2018 and one day we made the horrible mistake of stopping at this wretched establishment. We ordered 6 BBQ sandwiches with fries, oops don't have them, then decided to order hushpuppies, oops don't have them either, then sweet tea, and guess what...they were out at lunchtime! What BBQ place doesn't have these things!! Drinks were in a can. Then I got the bill of $60! For the love of God, really. They should have paid me to eat this crap and the service...does anybody remember the Culhane's on Hee Haw? Please take my advice, eat anywhere but here. I would be absolutely ashamed to call this a restaurant. Sad, sad, sad!

KT- Tville, NC

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

Little shack in the middle of nowhere. Cute and charming but food was not good enough to come back for. Cash and check only. All sauces (bbq, coleslaw, potato salad and even beans) were mustard based.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Elizabeth L
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Normally, I try and only leave positive feedback on Trip advisor as I feel it is a great site from travelers for travelers and has minimal haters. In this case I feel the need to share “travelers beware”.

We are not food snobs and are easy to please as we always try the local spots ( we were too close to this place with too few options to be picky after a 6 hour drive for a long cabin rental weekend getaway and 2 different locals highly reccomended it)

We arrived about 6:00 pm on a Wed night to find a small road side “shack” that had all of the signs of many great BBQ places- minimalist in the decor and limited seating but rave reviews or world famous descriptions from the locals. These are often the best finds and suddenly I hoped I was scouting for Diners Drive- ins and Dives! No such luck as it turned out!

We ordered and waited about 20 mins for our food while we sat in a small dining area that was added to the original walk up counter. The interior is a decorated maroon painted cinderblock with 30 plus years of travelers business cards tacked on to every wall and ceiling surface available. Another sign the focus was soley on the food and not the atmosphere. Excitement is growing!

We ordered pork bbs sandwiches, pork ribs, chicken BBQ sandwich with sides of bbq beans and cole slaw.

The pork bbq was just average of the ordered items, but nothing i would go back for. It had well flavored Smoky taste meat with a good mix of sauce and a very good roll ( giving the roll a well above average rating) The bbq chicken sandwich was a hit with my son who is not a pork fan- he rated it “ very good” and these would be my only 2 recommended items. Pricing was approx $7.00 for a sandwich and $10.00 for a platter. ( which was 2 sides added on)

The pork ribs were not good at all and we normally never leave a rib uneaten !! We do love our ribs!! We got about 5 ribs in the order. The meat itself was extra fatty, lower quality meat and reheated enough so that it tasted of plastic or some odd after taste with the sauce that was hard to identify, but not worth trying to overcome. (Wrong microwave container?)

The kitchen or prep area ( behind the walk up counter) looked pretty limited in cooking methods so we did not wish to send it back to the 2 young teens working that night as it appeared the options for trying to fix the issues were too limited to expect anything different as a result.

The coleslaw was a “unique” blend that was pink in color and had a spicy flare to it that reduced its role in being a balance or offset to the vinegary bbq sauce. One bite was enough for me to take a pass.

The BBQ beans were also a very one of a kind flavor as they tasted like a traditional bbq bean might but appeared to have had a 50/50 dose of mustard in the sauce recipe. 1 bite was also enough for me to take another pass and I am a mustard and a bbq bean fan! (Just don’t care for them together!). These flavors could all gave been a decidedly different approach to some old standbys that just not not jive with my expectations and preferences for each dish.

In the end , we ended up throwing away half of the meal we ordered and still had a half hungry family! “Rib fan” and Dad were still hungry- $40 dollars later!!

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank Russ M
Reviewed 24 March 2018

I have stopped and picked up (and eaten in the shop) numerous times over the past 15 years and it never fails to offer up some of the best Q in the state.
This is a mom and pop operation and he puts his heart and soul into the meat.
Be it ribs, sandwiches or chicken you need to order the slaw and my favorite is the lemonade to wash it down.
Great local down home flavors unmatched by 99% of other joints.

Date of visit: October 2017