“Good breakfast with a nice view of main street”
Review of High's Restaurant

High's Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Monterey
Price range: US$6 - US$12
Cuisines: American
Description: New owners have spruced up the place and serve real food - and the best food in an otherwise dismal dining town. Many D.C. residents spend a weekend here and can't find info - won't know the place finally has edible food. Please check out their mountain trout - homemade desserts and breads, fresher food than this town has seen in years!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was waiting for work to be done on my car, and stopped in for breakfast. Breakfast was really good, very reasonably priced, and folks were friendly. Two eggs over easy, bacon, fried potatoes, and a WONDERFUL biscuit. Coffee was good, too.

Reviewed 13 June 2018

My wife and I have had the pleasure of eating here during our two different motorcycle rides through this beautiful area and friendly town! The food is great, the servers make you feel right to home. It is Southern Comfort Food done right! Looking forward to riding to High's Restaurant for lunch again soon. Godspeed

Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

The Restaurant was very nice inside with lots of booths all scratched out with people's names. The food was good and the waitress was pleasant and very efficient. We only had sandwiches which only cost $1.99 and they were great. They had a good selection of desserts which we did not try but looked delicious. If passing by please drop in we would do again if we are in the area.

Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

That's the word my wife used for her meal. I'm not far behind on that!
She had meatloaf, green beans (seasoned with onion and bacon), mashed potatoes w/gravy, roll and chocolate peanut butter pie. Loved every bit of it. "Homemade" cook'n at its best.
I'm always looking for good BBQ so my order included pulled pork, roll, cole slaw, chili w/corn bread, and slice of coconut meringue pie. The slaw, chili and corn bread were "WOW!" The BBQ was the weakest link (which might have just been personal taste). The topper was that coconut pie - way better than the one I had in Staunton the night before.
Just down right good eating.

Reviewed 19 February 2018

Ordered Cheese & Bacon fries which were soggy and did not have any bacon on them. The rest of lunch was no better. "Homecooked" is a joke. The mashed potatoes are from a box and the gravy is from a packet. The green beans were from a can and completely cold. The fried chicken was almost good, but tasted like old oil and was a bit dry. Unfortunately, it was one of the worst meals I've ever had in a restaurant. The only thing that was ok was the barbecue sandwich. Service wasn't great either. We were given our check WITH our lunch before we even had a chance to eat or ask for dessert. The server also never came back to check on us. We asked for ketchup which we never got, and I never even had a chance to ask for a refill. Sadly, this place would probably be out of business if there were other restaurants in town.