“Fascinating history for Civil War era and a very haunted place!”

Civil War Medical Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Welcome to the Exchange Hotel Civil War Medical Museum Before the Civil War, the Exchange Hotel with its high ceiling parlors and grand veranda welcomed passengers from the two rail lines: the Virginia Central Railroad and the Alexandria Railroad. Soon war began. Troops, supplies, and wounded were transported on these railroads to Gordonsville. The Exchange Hotel became the Gordonsville Receiving Hospital which provided care for 70,000 soldiers, both Confederate and Union. In the reconstruction period, this hospital served the newly freed slaves as a Freedman's Bureau Hospital. As the United States healed and the railroads boomed, this graceful building returned to its role of hotel. Now fully restored, the hotel is a museum dedicated to the Civil War era.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 28 September 2017

I've now been to the Exchange Hotel and Medical Museum on two occasions. Once for the tour, and I found the history and events that occurred there absolutely fascinating. The guides and employees were wonderful to talk to - they are all very knowledgeable about the place, and can tell you different interesting tidbits of information.

The second time I went was for a ghost hunt where we spent most of the night there and experienced what is rated the 2nd most haunted place in Virginia. Very fun evening, and again, a lot of fascinating history and an all around great time. Would return again for sure, and highly recommend it for a visit!

MuseumAdmin, Administrator at Civil War Medical Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

We are so happy you enjoyed both of your visits to our museum. Thank you so much for the review.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

Wonderful museum, lots of history from the beginning of the building up to current day. Plan on a good hour or two if you really want to absorb it all. But it is well worth it.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

We visited this museum on our anniversary weekend. Much to our surprise it was very enjoyable and informative. The woman at the desk, who is also on the board, was very informative. BTW- it's suppose to be haunted. No sightings notes at this time.

MuseumAdmin, Administrator at Civil War Medical Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

We are so glad you enjoyed your visit to our museum, thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

We stopped by this wonderful historical medical museum and was very impressed by the amazing exhibits, cute gift shop and the sweetest Angel who is the Administrator there.

Highly recommended that you stop in for a self guided tour and check out the gift shop! Take the time to walk the grounds and sit on the 2nd floor porch with a cup of coffee. So relaxing...

We are so glad you enjoyed your visit to our museum. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

I planned a birthday trip for my best friend 2 months ago. We traveled 2 hours to Gordonsville only to find the museum closed. I thought I had misread the hours on the webpage, but when I looked again, they were supposed to be open from 10-4. I called to check the voice mail thinking maybe they had updated the system and not the webpage. No again! The hours were listed as 10-4 on Saturday. I left a message explaining that we had made a 2 hour drive to find the museum closed and I would like someone to call me with an explanation as to why it was not open. I received no phone call back. I called again five days later and someone answered. I explained the situation and asked why no one had bothered to return my call. Apparently, one person was on vacation and the individual assigned to work Saturday didn't bother to show up. Wow...a 4 hour drive and a ruined birthday surprise! My recommendation is to call BEFORE you make a drive.