“Great museum”

Civil War Medical Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Welcome to the Exchange Hotel Civil War Medical Museum Before the Civil War, the Exchange Hotel with its high ceiling parlors and grand veranda welcomed passengers from the two rail lines: the Virginia Central Railroad and the Alexandria Railroad. Soon war began. Troops, supplies, and wounded were transported on these railroads to Gordonsville. The Exchange Hotel became the Gordonsville Receiving Hospital which provided care for 70,000 soldiers, both Confederate and Union. In the reconstruction period, this hospital served the newly freed slaves as a Freedman's Bureau Hospital. As the United States healed and the railroads boomed, this graceful building returned to its role of hotel. Now fully restored, the hotel is a museum dedicated to the Civil War era.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited this museum on our anniversary weekend. Much to our surprise it was very enjoyable and informative. The woman at the desk, who is also on the board, was very informative. BTW- it's suppose to be haunted. No sightings notes at this time.

MuseumAdmin, Administrator at Civil War Medical Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We are so glad you enjoyed your visit to our museum, thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stopped by this wonderful historical medical museum and was very impressed by the amazing exhibits, cute gift shop and the sweetest Angel who is the Administrator there.

Highly recommended that you stop in for a self guided tour and check out the gift shop! Take the time to walk the grounds and sit on the 2nd floor porch with a cup of coffee. So relaxing...

We are so glad you enjoyed your visit to our museum. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

I planned a birthday trip for my best friend 2 months ago. We traveled 2 hours to Gordonsville only to find the museum closed. I thought I had misread the hours on the webpage, but when I looked again, they were supposed to be open from 10-4. I called to check the voice mail thinking maybe they had updated the system and not the webpage. No again! The hours were listed as 10-4 on Saturday. I left a message explaining that we had made a 2 hour drive to find the museum closed and I would like someone to call me with an explanation as to why it was not open. I received no phone call back. I called again five days later and someone answered. I explained the situation and asked why no one had bothered to return my call. Apparently, one person was on vacation and the individual assigned to work Saturday didn't bother to show up. Wow...a 4 hour drive and a ruined birthday surprise! My recommendation is to call BEFORE you make a drive.

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

Fine small collection of civil war era objects and household goods. About an hour of browsing unusual antique furniture, bedding, household items, medical devices, interesting gift shop with local history books, weapons. $10 admission fee supports maintenance of this old three story inn.

MuseumAdmin, Administrator at Civil War Medical Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

So glad you enjoyed your visit to our museum, thank you for the review.

Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

This is an excellent little museum in a place that was a crossroad for the railroads in Virginia during the civil war. This museum was used as a hotel, a depot and as a hospital during the war. 70,000 soldier were treated here during the war. They have an excellent history of the building, it's use during the war and lots of info on medical treatments during the war. They also have an excellent presentation of spy's during the Civil war. It is well worth the visit.

So glad you enjoyed your visit to our museum, thank you for your review.