Review Highlights
Wow! Nature at your fingertips!

We spent most of the day pleasantly driving around the different areas. We took advantage of the... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
803sandy
Pennsylvania
Wonderful place to visit!

This is really a gem. Make sure that you stop off at the visitor's center before you get on the... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
scubamex
Mass.

Reviews (1 131)
1 131 results
All reviews wild horses ocean city visitor center state park bug repellent biting flies south beach senior pass entrance fee beautiful beach crab natural beauty tent camping off season hiking trails marsh trail park ranger
Selected filters
4 - 9 of 1 131 reviews
Reviewed 7 September 2021 via mobile

Excellent beach park. The horses were in the parking lot. They warn you to remain 40 feet from the horses but we saw at least 11 of them raiding cars in the parking lot. Bathrooms needed cleaning. Watch the speed bumps coming in. They are not we warned well and you can bottom out.

Date of experience: September 2021
Reviewed 6 September 2021 via mobile

Came here to see the wild horses, but stayed for the insane amount of birds!! I had no idea this was such a birding hotspot wow! I even saw several from my “life list”!! But the wild horses were definitely the stars of the show!

This national park has tons of trails to see the wildlife from too! I did 4 different trails while I was here lol! My favorite was the Life of the Forest trail - I saw the most wildlife here - numerous horses, TONS of birds, and even several muskrats!! The Life of the Marsh trail also had lots of horse activity and even several lovely birds like the Blue Grosbeak! I also saw several people kayaking the marshes!

The Life of the Dunes trail was very interesting and takes you next to the ocean. It even has what’s left of a road running through it with signs around telling you all about the history and wildlife etc.

There’s plenty of parking all around, as well as bathrooms. The trails and roads are all well maintained. The Life of the Marsh and Life of the Forest trails had lots of boardwalk areas and I’d even say these are mostly handicap accessible!

It’s considered a national park so there’s a fee to enter - $25 for a week I believe - but I was able to use my national park pass so that’s awesome! I stopped by the visitor center on the way out and it’s great!! It has a small museum area that tells you all about the horses and lots of fun gifts. Highly recommend!!

Date of experience: May 2021
Reviewed 5 September 2021 via mobile

This was a family visit with Seniors - but the only choice TripAdvisor has for a tag is with kids. Anyway - I read the Facebook group Friends of Assateague & the TripAdvisor reviews. If you are a Senior or Disabled, you can get a Lifetime National Parks Card.

Assateague is a wonderful, hidden gem. We reached before 10am, as I read that parking fills up early. There is a Visitors Center where you can get a map. There are 8 points for a 20-45 minute flat walk through the ecosystem. You can wade very far in shallow water on the Marina side or in waves at the Ocean side. As soon as we crossed the entry bridge, there were wild horses on the side of the road, and at several parking lots. They did steak snacks from someone’s open car trunk. So be careful!

You can easily see all the points and do all the short & easy hikes in 1/2 day or 1 day. Would recommend signing up for crab fishing with the rangers, people seemed to be having fun. It’s a unique ecosystem that smells of pinewood. The Ocean side beach is Amazing - warm water and very clean. No Boardwalk or concessions, so bring whatever you need. Many restaurants outside the park for lunch. We went to Crab Alley. As we were leaving at 2pm, the entry car line was massive! I don’t even know if everyone got in. & all the parking lots were, indeed, full. So go early! You can always nap on the beach.

If you can’t go to Florida, you can drive anywhere from the Northeast and have a similar experience at Ocean City & Assateague park . If you go from New Jersey, there is a Car Ferry from Cape May to Delaware. Outside the Ferry are a lot of Outlet Malls.

We stayed in Ocean City, MD. The hotels in the area seem to be VERY overpriced on weekends. So go on a weekday if you can, or at least a Friday night. The hotel difference was between $168 on Friday & they wanted to charge us $450 for the Saturday for a motel. We went to another area. The hotels did book up - we were there on Labor Day weekend. There were some cute Bed & Breakfasts south of the park In a more rural area, or on the main roads outside the park. Ocean City itself has a beach, and you can drive to the Delaware beaches as well.

Date of experience: September 2021
Reviewed 4 August 2021

We love going to Assateague Island. The beach is less populated and so easy to walk. Our beach of choice…don’t like the hustle bustle of other nearby beaches.

Date of experience: August 2021
Reviewed 26 July 2021

Just a short drive south of Ocean City, if you are looking for a relaxing day with endless sandy beach and soothing sounds of ocean waves, you will certainly enjoy Assateague! No hotels or boardwalk on the beach -- just sugary sand, ocean, and sky for as far as you can see. (Has the remote feel of Outer Banks). The wild horses add to the uniqueness (however we've only seen them grazing by the roads --not running free on the seashore.)

Date of experience: July 2021