“Nice visit to historic house near Charlottesville”
Review of Clifton Inn

Clifton Inn
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We found The Clifton Inn to be very welcoming and relaxing. We stayed in room 5 which is directly above the kitchen. The hotel and restaurant staff were all wonderful - very friendly and helpful. These are folks who make or break a trip - and these ladies (all women) made our stay very pleasant.

The charm of the Inn is its link to Virginia history, and they've tried very hard to modernize the accommodations. The walls are thin - not much they can do about this. The heater worked well and they've added recessed lighting. The bathroom is huge - with a full-sized claw-foot bathtub and two free-standing sinks. The shower is separate (not in the tub) and has heavenly water pressure and an additional trio of sprayers. I did not want to get out of that shower!!

Continental breakfast was very fresh and seemed to be homemade. We placed one a la carte order but it was a miss. Oh well.

Overall, we liked the relaxed feel of The Clifton and would recommend it for a weekend away.

Room Tip: Room 5 has a pull-out couch
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 November 2017

My husband and I were given a package at the Clifton Inn as a gift and were delighted by what we found. A beautifully restored home, with spacious room, an inviting common room with a fire place, lovely dining area and grounds to walk and enjoy the surrounding beauty. We were greeted with a fabulous cheese plate and glass of wine. Dinner was four courses with a wine pairing and every bite was memorable. Breakfast did not disappoint, I had a farm omelet with cartelized onions, spinach and cheese with local sausage. My husband could not resist the Belgium waffle cooked to perfection.
What a wonderful place to celebrate or just to get a way and relax.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2017

We had a wonderful stay for 2 nights. The staff were very friendly especially the front desk team who did an excellent job with greeting warm welcoming and guiding us about sightseeing places. We would always come back.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

Perfect setting and venue for the rehearsal dinner my family hosted in October on a beautiful fall day. Fotini helped us plan a wonderful dinner and party. She is amazing.
The food was excellent. I highly recommend the Clifton Inn.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2017

We were excited to stay here as it looked beautiful online, but upon arriving it was underwhelming. The room was small (and could use a fresh coat of paint) - almost no counter space in the bathroom sink, for example. What immediately hit us, though, was the smell. Strong insecticide spray. There was a letter on the counter that apologized for this saying that 'stink bugs' were out of control and they sprayed both inside and outside to try to control them. They then tried to reassure that they could not bite or sting in case they came in the room. We immediately wanted to open the windows but there were no screens! There were many other bugs waiting to come in. Way too bad.

Continental food was included but not buffet style. Instead they give you a plate of food consisting of yogurt parfait (very mediocre) and 3 tiny pastries exactly the same all 3 mornings. If you want eggs or oatmeal, they charge $12 - $15.

The waitresses were great but the management (particularly the G.M.) was not very friendly at all and lacked any trace of Southern hospitality.

But what really infuriated me was that after our last breakfast my husband asked me to check over our room bill with the woman at the front desk to see if we owe anything. There was no one there except myself, my husband, and the woman at the computer. I was standing right in front of her and just about to open my mouth and tell her we needed to check out. She completely ignored me and looked over and past me (ignoring me completely) and engaged with my husband instead, who had already sat down at a chair in the waiting area. I’m an Asian and my husband is a Caucasian. She started asking him where we’re headed today, etc. Wow! I stood there for a minute, flabbergasted and fuming, and told my husband, who was responding to her questions without realizing what had just happened, that I’d wait outside, and then I walked out.

I don’t have superpowers like being invisible, so for her to blatantly ignore me -- someone who is right in front of her -- and turn her head to talk to my husband instead is beyond rude and so wrong.

Nope, I’ll never stay here again and I DO NOT recommend it to other others!!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlottesville
8 km away
Keswick Hall
#1 of 1 in Keswick
4,1 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesvill...
#7 of 35 in Charlottesville
10,2 km away
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Charlottesville - UVA, VA
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson,...
#6 of 35 in Charlottesville
10,2 km away
The English Inn of Charlottesville

Been to Clifton Inn? Share your experiences!