“Unhappy Customer”

Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed 26 October 2017

Although my room was very nice, I was very disappointed with my stay. I was there for a conference. My employer paid for my hotel room. This was mentioned at check in and they saw that it had been paid for. However, they asked for a card to charge $15 on for incidentals. When I woke up and checked my bank account, they not only charged the $15, but an additional $96 for the room. When I went and spoke with the front desk about it, Marrell admitted to making a mistake. He said that I could get my bank on the phone and he would see what he needed to do to reverse the charges so the money would be back on it today. I explained that I would overdraft it it wasn't. After six visits to the front counter the issue was still not resolved. He said he did his part and that it wasn't his issue anymore. I disagreed because his mistake is what caused this to happen. I asked to speak with a manger and he said that he was the front desk manager. I stated I needed to speak with his manager since I was still dissatisfied. He went to the room off the front desk and told me he'd be right with me. After 5 minutes of waiting and still no manger, I left and now I am writing this. I have contacted HG as well and am waiting for a response. Money is one thing you don't mess with and you can put someone in a real bind for a "mistake."

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Del S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share very constructive comments regarding your stay with us. While I was unaware of this occurrence, I can assure you that we do take handling guests payment and credit card information very seriously. Obviously, we have dropped the ball in this instance. I will review this matter with our front desk manager to ensure that it has been corrected to your satisfaction. Additionally, we will take steps to ensure all of our front desk team members are handling credit card authorizations properly so that this does not happen again.
We hope that you will return to give us another chance to meet your expectations and to demonstrate that we value you as our guest.

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed here on September 23rd to work A CONCERT FOR CHARLOTTESVILLE, which was held on the 24th. The room was clean. 2 double beds. It had a microwave and refrigerator. The room served it’s purpose.
The hote
They offer a free breakfast and it’s served in the restaurant. Very good.
This hotel is close to the University and several fast food restaurants. There is a Kroger located across the street. It opens at 7.
I recommend this hotel.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Del S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2017

Thank you for sharing such great feedback regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Charlottesville- Univ Area. We are glad you appreciated our guest rooms, food and beverage service, and proximity to other great restaurants. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

From reading other reviews, I think I was staying in one of the rooms that hadn't been re furnished yet. It wasn't great, to be honest. It was pretty run down, and bathroom a bit grotty. The taps were too far set back from sink, and water leaked everywhere. There was also a stagnant smell in there. Large room, but just old. Wifi very fast.

On the other hand, the staff here are amazing, really genuinely friendly. Good breakfast. Very centrally located, within minutes drive of a few shopping malls.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Del S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay with us. We are looking forward to resume our guest room redecoration during this winter and will conclude during the 1st Qtr of next year. In the interim, I have shared your feedback with our Chief Engineer and Housekeeping Manager to ensure all of our rooms, including those which have not been renovated yet, are guest ready. I am glad that you appreciated the service if our team and your breakfast.
We hope you will return to experience our improvements!

Reviewed 9 October 2017

My wife and I were at the hotel on Thursday 10/5 ($128.00) and Friday 10/6 ( $268.00)
Plus taxes ( about 10%). The place and the staff were fine but the over 100% increase in price, for nothing extra was unconscionable.
Not looking to Holiday Inn in the future

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your stay with us. Our prices do vary from weekday to weekend, particularly on UVA home football weekends. We do our best to deliver a great stay experience and will review our offerings during these weekends to ensure a better value proposition.
We hope you will return to give us another chance to meet your expectations.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

On our way to southwest VA from Lancaster, PA. Got to Harrisonburg VA and nothing available there to Christiansburg available. VA Tech and JMU both had home games. Only had a couple of rooms left starting at $250.00. Went to my points with IHG and got a king nonsmoking for 10,000 points and $70.00, the best bargain. Pulled in at 11:30 pm. Actually greeted from desk as walking in. Quick check in and nice conversation with gentleman who checked us in. Room was clean, spacious and recently refurbished. (This was a Ramada Inn when I was at UVA in the early 70's). Bathroom was very nice and contemporary with a tiled shower. Unexpectedly nice stay for a good price at the last minute.

Room Tip: At the IHG site, you can choose what you want as far as room accommodations.