“What a hiddem gem!”

Wolf Creek Indian Village & Museum
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Bastian
Reviewed 28 June 2018

While rving in Tennessee we decided to take a side trip to Bastian,Va. to tour this attraction. We are so glad that we did. Bland County has done a remarkable job in re-creating this Indian Village and Museum. We took the guided tour and our guide Lexie was the absolute best. She is young, energetic and very knowledgeable in her presentations about the village and the artifacts. This is a must see and do for a side trip or just to go there by itself. We are so very glad that it exists and we thank Bland County Va. for re-creating a great piece of our history.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"depicted"
"archaeology"

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

My daughter and I really enjoyed visiting here. We took the guided tour and our tour guide was very knowledgable, explaining a lot about the people in this village and other Woodland Indian tribes. She showed my daughter how to play a few Indian games and let her try them herself. The gift shop has some amazing products and paintings done by local American Indians. The property was very clean -but bring your bug spray - the mosquitoes were out the morning we went! Very cool place to spend a few hours!

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

We visited here 10 years ago and had a less than stellar visit. A lot has changed in 10 years!

First: picnic area, clean/nice bathrooms, plenty of space to stretch your legs and let the kids run around, located just off the interstate.

Second: Friendly and professional staff. Flora was our guide and she was lovely. I wish I had caught the name of the woman in the gift shop....she was so friendly and upbeat!

Third: The site is very cool with reconstructed buildings, each with their own purpose and explanation. The surroundings and creek are beautiful as well. I probably learned as much as my 8 year old lol

Price: $10/adult, $6 kids, 5 and under free. You can go in the gift shop etc...for free, you just can't view the museum or village without paying.

Reviewed 12 December 2017

We decided to just self-tour since we were on a road trip and wanted to stay on schedule. The lady inside the visitor center/museum (no pictures allowed in museum) was very nice and told us about how this archaeology site was found in 1970 when I-77 was being cut through. They found remains of bones and village and were able to date it back to 1480 - 1520 but they were not able to tell the ethnicity of the people. The graves are market with signs telling the age of the person and the position the bones were found in.

I enjoyed the short, easy walk to the village and found parts of it to be very scenic. I especially loved the hawk feathers hanging from some of the trees marking the trail (the trail is very easy to follow without them but it was a nice touch). The recreated village is well done and very interesting.

See more reviews
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

Just happened upon this after spotting a sign on the Interstate . And am so glad I did. Absolutely fascinating. The guide was so interesting, and was able to enlighten us with stories of her family and childhood. I could have listened to her for hours!

The village has been sensitively restored, in a beautiful setting. Lovely gift shop, and friendly staff who made this a very enjoyable visit.