Open today: 09:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
Best Small Zoo

Ellen Trout Zoo. Great morning or afternoon outing for adults and kids! Easy level walking paths... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
tllktx
Lufkin, Texas
Small, but nice

This zoo was about what you'd expect for a town the size of Lufkin. It was well laid out and the... read more

Reviewed 9 October 2018
Traveling_Girrrrrl
Houston, Texas

All reviews train ride peacocks roam small train gift shop animal lovers wide variety of animals big cats great small town family outing day trip giraffes picnic exhibits dragon population membership grandkids
Reviewed 23 August 2018

The zoo has been around so long i can't remember how many times i went there as a kid. I know if you have kids or just want to hang out for the day it's a good place to visit in Lufkin, Tx

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

This zoo is smaller than some but it is awesome. The animals are in natural type pens and the grounds are beautifully landscaped. Riding the little train is a must.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

So many animals! I had always meant to stop at this zoo but honestly didn't expect more than a glorified park. I was So wrong! They have hippos! Peacocks roam free and it's so beautifully done! I know I sound really excited and I am! I Love zoos and grew up going to the one in Houston and I am surprised to say this hidden zoo rivals that one in the big city. There aren't enough exclamation points for how in love with this place I've fallen. You Must visit this zoo, even if you don't like animals go anyway!

Date of experience: October 2017
2  Thank Victoria V
Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

Stopped in this morning with my 2 sons. We have a membership to the Houston Zoo, so we got in for free thanks to the AZA (Association of Zoos and Aquariums)! We loved this zoo!
Tips: stop at the little gift shop on your way in for a map (on your left after you enter). It’s easy enough to find your way around, but who doesn’t like a map!
-Go early. Most of the animals were active when we arrived at 9:30. Talk to the keepers. They are friendly and informative! -Bring some cash- there is a little train (not a part of the zoo, but just outside of the zoo) that is cash or check only.
-Bring some bug spray. There’s lots of shade (hooray) provided by the trees/bushes/flowers, but the mosquitoes are busy!
-If you have time, sit and enjoy! There are so many little tables and benches where you can relax and watch the animals (and the people).
-Be aware: this zoo has an amazing population of peacocks that roam the grounds. If you have kids (or adults) who aren’t fond of birds, give them a heads up so they aren’t scared. The peacocks didn’t bother anyone. We would clear a path for them to get by. BTW peacocks can be LOUD!

What a fun treasure to find on our little day trip!

Date of experience: May 2018
3  Thank ImABoyMom
Reviewed 13 May 2018

This a wonderful zoo. The exhibits are well done with a wide variety of animals to see. They have a great education program and host thousands of school children each year. One of the newest attractions is a mile long hiking trail around the lake. The zoo is well kept and the staff is knowledgeable and friendly. A must see when visiting Lufkin.

Date of experience: April 2018