Open today: 09:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
Small, but nice

This zoo was about what you'd expect for a town the size of Lufkin. It was well laid out and the... read more

Reviewed 9 October 2018
Traveling_Girrrrrl
Houston, Texas
Love our zoo

Our zoo has grown over the years but it is still small enough for young and old to walk easily. I... read more

Reviewed 6 October 2018
Tarra G
via mobile

All reviews train ride run free free roaming small train large variety of animals concession stand gift shop animal lovers big cats day trip couple of hours great exhibits lufkin area giraffes perimeter dragon picnic
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

This zoo is smaller than some but it is awesome. The animals are in natural type pens and the grounds are beautifully landscaped. Riding the little train is a must.

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

So many animals! I had always meant to stop at this zoo but honestly didn't expect more than a glorified park. I was So wrong! They have hippos! Peacocks roam free and it's so beautifully done! I know I sound really excited and I am! I Love zoos and grew up going to the one in Houston and I am surprised to say this hidden zoo rivals that one in the big city. There aren't enough exclamation points for how in love with this place I've fallen. You Must visit this zoo, even if you don't like animals go anyway!

2  Thank Victoria V
Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

Stopped in this morning with my 2 sons. We have a membership to the Houston Zoo, so we got in for free thanks to the AZA (Association of Zoos and Aquariums)! We loved this zoo!
Tips: stop at the little gift shop on your way in for a map (on your left after you enter). It’s easy enough to find your way around, but who doesn’t like a map!
-Go early. Most of the animals were active when we arrived at 9:30. Talk to the keepers. They are friendly and informative! -Bring some cash- there is a little train (not a part of the zoo, but just outside of the zoo) that is cash or check only.
-Bring some bug spray. There’s lots of shade (hooray) provided by the trees/bushes/flowers, but the mosquitoes are busy!
-If you have time, sit and enjoy! There are so many little tables and benches where you can relax and watch the animals (and the people).
-Be aware: this zoo has an amazing population of peacocks that roam the grounds. If you have kids (or adults) who aren’t fond of birds, give them a heads up so they aren’t scared. The peacocks didn’t bother anyone. We would clear a path for them to get by. BTW peacocks can be LOUD!

What a fun treasure to find on our little day trip!

3  Thank ImABoyMom
Reviewed 13 May 2018

This a wonderful zoo. The exhibits are well done with a wide variety of animals to see. They have a great education program and host thousands of school children each year. One of the newest attractions is a mile long hiking trail around the lake. The zoo is well kept and the staff is knowledgeable and friendly. A must see when visiting Lufkin.

1  Thank Bill C
Reviewed 16 March 2018

This zoo is well laid out. It has a park like setting with winding pathways. The animal exhibits are well marked and offer just the right amount of information. The zoo train Z&OO railway was fun too!

1  Thank Kathryn K