“This place is wonderful! I spent probably an hour here.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Casa Ramirez Folk Art Gallery
Ranked #39 of 92 Shopping in Houston
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We are looking to build our own Day of the Dead Remembrance Alter to memorialize our past beloved pets. I found this store on the internet and read some reviews (on Yelp or Google, I think) and it was highly praised.

The store has so many beautiful things. I was enchanted, too, with the number of books they have that have a Spanish AND an English translation as I have given myself two years to learn Spanish. (I took six years in school.) They also have a small collection of cooksbooks. I bought a beautiful cookbook on cooking with citrus.

Perusing the store gave me some good ideas for our altar.

The lady who works there was very nice and informative. She told me that Mr. Ramirez holds classes to explain the Day of the Dead. (I had told her we became enchanted with this tradition after seeing the movie Coco.)

I told her I would be back to work on our altar for our back yard garden.

Reviewed 9 June 2016

I wish there were more place like this around.

My daughters had been telling me about this great "Mexican" store where they have the neatest things.

My youngest daughter had received a set of super cute mini painted clay pots from here.

It was a hot day in Houston. One grandson had fallen asleep in his car seat, so a couple of us were watching over him, while Mom and baby went into the shop.

I had asked in advance if this would be a good place to take the kids. Little boys 1 and 3. My daughter said it was a nice place and that they would not ask us to leave.

She was not kidding. Once the older grandson woke up, we headed into the air conditioned shop.

I cannot emphasize enough what a wonderful vibe this place had. The nicest woman. I believe the owner, acknowledged that I had joined my daughter. I chatted with her about the heat outside. She responded. She responded and talked to me. Does everyone realize what a rarity this has become. Houston ain't what it used to be folks.

People. We live in a strange world. I am a Native of the wonderful state of Texas. I was born in a town outside of Houston. I cannot tell you how refreshing it was to have a shop owner not only speak to me, but in no way shape or form was she unfriendly to my dear grandchildren. They in turn, sensing her kindness behaved reasonably well in the shop.

My daughter bought the cutest little stuffed bull. She had a hard time choosing from the selection of varied animals. Each one just as cute.

The store is full of the most wonderful Mexican folkart. Dia de los Muertos. Mini pinatas. Darling aprons. Blankets. Jewelry. Pottery. Artwork. Colorful oilcloth pieces. Cute pillows (Dia De Los Muertos prints) with ric rac trim.

I am sorry I do not know the history of the story. I am sure Houstonians do.

This is a real place. Very reasonably priced. My fourteen year old bought a darling tin mirror with colorful flowers along the rim. Also a super cute mini pinata.

I was given a hand written receipt along with a printed one.

We had been to the "Hipster" Common Bond bakery for lunch prior to this. What a contrast. Real place, real lady at the counter. Family friendly and reasonably priced.

We could have spend much more time browsing, but did not want to abuse the hospitality.

Can't say enough good things about this wonderful folk art shop. Many more items to choose from. Support Houston Heights and the wonderful eclectic Real stores and the people who run them. Viva Houston Heights.

2  Thank mojomo