6 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.comUS$364
Expedia.comUS$364
Reviews (1 098)
1 098 results
All reviews m club pool area convention center lazy river pool street kitchen shaped pool high dive pool staff amazing pool minute maid park discovery green hot tub room service hotel is beautiful corner room self parking heart of downtown
Selected filters
34 - 39 of 1 098 reviews
Reviewed 11 September 2020 via mobile

Great location across from park with stunning views of Houston! Spectacular lazy river rooftop pool made this well worth the trip. Great food in the sports bar! Large hotel with classy feel and lots of restaurant options

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank fred s
Reviewed 6 September 2020

I found the staff very unwilling to help with anything! The check in clerk messed up a pre-paid reservation. The pool staff got annoyed at having to find a float for us to float down the lazy river. And, folks, this is a very lazy river. No rapids or wave makers. Certain sitting areas for paid reservations only. At this price, they could at least give you a bottle of water. which by the way is conveniently located in your room for $5! Definitely won't stay again.

Date of stay: September 2020
1  Thank Shari B
Reviewed 2 September 2020

I have stayed at this property several times in the past few years and have never had any "major" issues. However, my stay in August was less than pleasant.

During Covid19, cleanliness is paramount. I would have hoped that this property would have ramped up their cleanliness protocols but this was not the case. Rather, during my stay, cleaning standards had been lowered tremendously.

I stepped into my shower and found a huge pile of hair laying on top of the shower drain. Disgusting!!! (See picture attached.) I immediately when down to the front desk to bring it to the hotel's attention and the hotel representative I spoke with at the front desk, never once apologized. Additionally, she also never offered to have the shower cleaned or asked if I would like to change rooms. Wow, I would not have expected her indifference to my situation, particularly during the Covid19 pandemic when cleanliness is so very important. So, what did I do? I returned to my hotel room to clean the hair out of the shower myself. Another disgusting experience that I should not have had to do as a guest of this property and a gold member with Marriott.

Upon arriving home, I sent a letter to the General Manager of this property, Scot Cotton, to make him aware of the situation. A few days later, I received a voice mail from his secretary to say she was sorry.

One component of Marriott's mission statement is to "exceed expectations" of their guests. Not only did they not exceed my expectations, but they did not even meet the basic component of a clean room. And, the way it was handled when it was brought to their attention clearly demonstrated a lack of commitment to the customer experience.

2  Thank YourSkyPrincess
Reviewed 21 August 2020

Our family had a wonderful time celebrating our daughters birthday weekend. She loved the floating river and shallow pool!! We will definitely comeback. Great, helpful and friendly staff everywhere. I would recommend even for a daycation!!!

Reviewed 21 August 2020 via mobile

Very disappointed. I’ve stayed at the Marriott Marquis Houston several times, and always in the same type suite. This stay was terrible. 1) I always use mobile check-in when I stay at Marriott properties. Arrived Tues night and my mobile key did not work. After several attempts, I went down to the front desk and told the attendant. She made me a physical key. I go back to the room, and the physical key doesn’t work. I head back down to the front desk. The attendant remakes the key and accompanies me back up to the room with her master key. The new key doesn’t work nor does her master key. At this point, you think they’d just assign me another room, right? Nope. She calls the engineer to come up. He proceeds to check the physical key and the attendant’s master key, as if to make sure we had tried them correctly. He then uses some device to open the door and explains he’ll need to go get something to reprogram the door lock and bring me a key shortly. Just getting in my room took approximately 45 mins. After a long day, I just wanted to check into my room and begin my staycation. Instead, I got this. Bad start to a stay. 1a) The attendant said she would have the team re-send my mobile key in the morning. It never came. 2) I love this particular suite type because of the oversized tub. It’s one of the reasons I stay at this Marquis. After taking forever to get in my room, I wanted to fill up the tub, sit and just relax. Unfortunately, the stopper in the tub was inoperable. So, the water drained out just as fast as it filled up. So the tub feature was useless. 3) When I get settled, I use the Marriott app chat feature to check the breakfast time in the M Club Lounge. I had specifically booked a room with M Club Lounge access. It was late and I wanted to set an alarm to wake up in time for breakfast. Didn’t get a response until the next morning, where I was informed the M Club Lounge is not currently operating. Why advertise room bookings with this feature when the feature is not currently operating? At the least, the property could have sent a note once I booked informing me the M Club Lounge was currently closed. Then, I could have made an informed decision on whether to move forward with the stay or not. 4) Stuck in the Parking Garage - On Wed, I order curbside pickup lunch from a restaurant. I try to head out to pick it up, but my key card doesn’t work to get out of the garage. I end up spending 20 mins stuck at the gate calling the hotel and garage attendant to get out. Eventually someone comes and corresponds with the hotel to let me out. Needless to say, I was late getting my lunch. 5) I come back to the hotel after picking up lunch and ask that the key card be fixed. They apologize. The attendant from the previous night was there. I informed her I never received the mobile key. They said they would take care of it but...‍♂️. 6) Flies - Some small flying insects are in this room. I don’t know what they are. It was maybe 3 or 4, but on the 16th floor of a nice hotel...it’s really unacceptable. 7) Cleanliness/Quality - This is the first time in all my stays at this property, in this type suite, that the room seems poorly maintained. There was dust everywhere, particularly in places where I had to lay my head. The tub and shower had stains on their floors. The white rug in the bathroom had a medium size dark spot in it as though it had already been used. The seat of the toilet had 2 permanent marks on it. Shabby paint job on the restroom door. 8) Spotty cable - The main tv in the living room area had spotty service. The audio would go in and out frequently. To mitigate, I had to mute the tv I was watching and turn the volume up on the tv behind me in the kitchen area. There was, of course, now the natural slight delay with the audio and the people speaking not syncing. An annoyance at best, infuriating given the entire experience. 9) Poor Response - On Wed afternoon, I used the “Tell Us How Your Stay is Going” section on the Marriott app to document and alert the property about my unpleasant experience. No response. Thursday late morning, I receive a call from someone offering me a late checkout for my troubles. What??? When I informed him I would be leaving as scheduled, he offered me 10K Marriott points as an apology. I asked him if he thought 10K Marriott points was an appropriate response to what I experienced in my 2-night stay in an executive suite??? He said well, let me not offer you the points and instead offer you $150 credit. I reminded him that the rate was ~$600/ night, and asked if he thought $150 off a $1,200 bill for a booking that fell short on so much of its value proposition was a fair offering. Crickets. 10) I booked a 2-day staycation at a familiar Marriott property to enjoy my birthday in peace, get out of the house. and get away from some of the quarantine life we’ve lived the last few months. I thought going back to a hotel I had stayed in previously more than once, in the same type suite I always stay in, would be a great get away. Unfortunately, this entire experience has been the complete opposite of my previous experiences at this property. Not only was the experience bad, the response when I highlighted the issues was lackluster. Definitely put a damper on my birthday day, and kind of seems like a waste of time and money.

1  Thank ea2travel