“Kitchen Closed ”
Review of Hemingways - CLOSED

Hemingways
Price range: US$6 - US$29
Description: Ernest Hemingway lived and documented his time in Havana,Cuba for many years and fell madly in love with all of its intricacies, cultures and lifestyles. From hunting and fishing to its nightlife, bars and of course, food. Hemingway famously said if you want to know about a culture, spend a night in its bars" and we aim to bring you a piece of the Cuban experience that he loved so much.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Called in Saturday afternoon for a bite to eat and some cocktails, only to find that they are no longer doing food, for the time being anyway. Place was dead so we moved on.
Should have realised something was up when I noticed place didn't open until 3pm, on a Saturday!

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Avoid Sunday lunch.terrible food awful service no atmosphere scruffy no asset to horsforth nothing more to add

Kieran L, Manager at Hemingways, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hi Brian, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your visit. Could you please let me know when it was you visited please so I can look into this?
Thankyou

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Tweedle dee and tweedle dumb on the top bar are two of the rudest people I’ve had the misfortune to have been served by. If your idea of a cocktail is cheap fruit juice roughly shaken with base spirit served in a bramaha pint glass then this is the bar of your dreams; anywhere else in Horsforth is more authentic than this alleged Caribbean rum bar.

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

I always thought a Cuban eatery was odd in the extreme after all Cuban cuisine has been in the doldrums since 1959 and most of the old dishes aren’t available in Cuba anymore. No matter, lets see what they’ve got I thought.

We had a great welcome and all the staff were fantastic....as were the Piña Coladas served in a frozen hollowed out pineapple...nice touch.

Where the place let itself down is the food. The crab cakes...sorry, the small crab cake, was passable...just. The calamaris were possibly the worst I’ve had anywhere. They resembled 4 large breadcrumbed elastic bands and were tasteless.

However perhaps the biggest issue was the ‘jerk’ chicken. It wasn’t jerk chicken in any way shape or form but instead seemed to be covered in a hideously sweet barbecue type sauce.

We complained and gave feed back and the staff did the right thing.

What a shame as there’s a dearth of good eateries in Horsforh. Never mind I may just pop in for a Piña Colada though.

Reviewed 11 March 2018

I visited the restaurant for mother’s day with my 5 year old daughter, mum and partner. From walking through the door the staff we’re very accommodating and ensured my little one was entertained with books and colouring. It was a set menu and we all decided to go for a main and dessert. I had the lamb which was lovely and my mum and partner went for stuffed chicken which they said was delicious. For pudding it was hot chocolate fudge cake and ice cream which was to die for. All in all a fab place with fab staff. I would highly recommend a visit.

1  Thank Nicola W