“Inner Space Caverns”

Inner Space Cavern
Ranked #2 of 21 things to do in Georgetown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Inner Space Cavern was discovered in 1963 by the Texas Highway Department. During construction of Interstate 35, they were required to do regulation core testing, which required them to drill into the ground. As they did this, they inadvertently drilled into the cave 8 times out of the 20 samples they took. Once they lost those 8 drill bits, they knew they hit a cave. They searched all over the surrounding area but could not find any access into the cave. So, they drilled a 2 foot wide hole down through 33.5 feet of limestone bedrock. The hole became known as the Discovery Hole as it was the very first entrance into the cave (and the only one for several months!). As they explored, they have found over five miles of cave, making Inner Space Cavern the fourth largest cavern in Texas!
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Great fun for whole family. Enjoyable for all ages. Not to difficult climbing. The dark cave is amazing. Price is reasonable and has a great gift shop.

All reviews
"kids and adults"
"long tour"
"great for kids"

Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

If you like to visit caverns then this is the place you should go. The tour itself was about one hour and 30 minutes. When you get down into the caverns the temperature changes from chilly to very humid. Some of the areas you will be walking are fairly steep and uneven. I suggest someone in a wheelchair not go on this journey. They are very strict about not touching any of the rocks because it will damage them. We did enjoy ourselves and our tour guide, I believe her name was Brooke, was very entertaining.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

We took the Adventure Tour with AAA discounted pricing($1.5 off). Our family loved it - it was their first visit to caverns like these.
It was good with nice natural formations, the tour guide was pretty ok as well, I would rate it second to best. Having visited Natural Bridge in the past, it still retains the #1 spot for me.
If you are short in time and cannot travel all the way to San Antonio or Carlsbad, this one will not disappoint you..

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

My Belongings were STOLEN in this cave and management still charged me for my photo!!! Have you ever heard of something so ridiculous? What customer service/management training do their staff have? My tour guide encouraged us to leave jackets and scarves at the entrance before entering due to humidity. I returned only to discover my cashmere scarf (value $50+) had been stolen. What did they do? Pretty much nothing. They stared at me blankly. That’s what. I was introduced to a snide “manager” who really isn’t a people person. After what seemed like a lifetime, I managed to draw blood from the stone and thought up a solution for him (And I’m not even paid to work there). I told him I would be comforted with a gift certificate for us to return. He reluctantly gave me one - but only for 1 person (value $20-25). Couldn’t stretch to two people! His body language was disappointing for me to see as someone new to Texas, having been told so much about the friendly, warm people. He was visibly annoyed instead of helpful and proactive. I find that Fascinating for someone in a social job in charge of handling tourism and promoting a travel venue. He wrote out a gift certificate with pained teeth. He was not apologetic and couldn’t think on his feet for a solution. Then, to add insult to injury, he charged me $12 for the photo I took in the cave!!! Wow. Really? How petty and small minded. When I showed how upset I was and explained the value of the scarf (aside from the principle it was STOLEN on their watch) he was sarcastic and snide and assumed my scarf was not as valuable as I was saying.... can you believe that? I have never been met with such a rude person in a leadership role in my life. Bottom line- Don’t leave your things in this cave!! There is no backup plan and management isn’t going to help.

5  Thank Tami S
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 February 2018

Checking off another cave here in Texas off my lists. I don't remember if I've visited before as a child with my parents, so I had to go. It was a very cold day in December and this cave is very warm and humid. If you are adventurous they off more "hands on" tours where you can get covered in mud and crawl through small spaces. If I was younger or in better shape I'd be taking them up on that tour. The basic tour is about 45 minutes if I remember correctly and you will see some beautiful cave structures. There is plenty of bacon, straws and assuming they tell the same story every tour... a nice fairy tale for the children. If you are near by, take the time to visit.

1  Thank Stoneleet