All reviewsmain buildingevening dessertcreme brûléepicnic basketthird floorbreakfast was deliciouskoi pondshowing its agelovely propertyquiet sideevery morningbed and breakfastlight bulbsmountain viewspent one nightthe breakfast arealarge room
Reviewed 8 June 2017

The owner recently passed away making this particularly difficult to write, and I offer my condolences. Advertised as a luxury Inn, $210 per night. Our first night away from home after my wife's cancer surgery. I wish I had a good review, but our refrigerator and hair dryer were broken and they were not replaced. Bathroom door could not be opened from outside once closed. Balcony appears to be missing a chair. No electricity entire 2nd night, no working generator, no A/C during extremely humid night, no emergency stairwell lighting, pitch black. Some flashlights were broken. One customer was planning to sleep on the couch in the lobby and leave the front door open for circulation. I sent a very nice, sympathetic email only asking for a future 2 for 1 night rate after the problems are resolved instead of money back so it wouldn’t impact them during this difficult time. Long story short, it’s now been 12 days. I called yet again, they said “It was mother nature, nothing we can do” and refused a reduced future rate or a partial refund.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank russfuquay
RichmontInn, Owner at Richmont Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Dear Mr. Fuquay,
I want to wish your wife a speedy recovery following her surgery and I am sorry that you felt your stay deserved a bad review. Our German made refrigerators, ("Dometic") are free from any noise and also defrost automatically for one hour on a 24 hour cycle. Due to their cutting off to defrost, sometimes guests have reported them as not working properly, however, you never mentioned that yours was not working while you were staying with us, therefore we did not have an opportunity to check it for you. You also made no mention of the hairdryer not working and after you checked out we discovered that the ground fault had caused it to turn off. This may have occurred when the power went out. As for the emergency hall lights on the third floor, we are checking to see if a battery needs to be replaced, however, I might point out that we have requested a "service call" to check our generator and have a better understanding of why it did not automatically start-up when the power went out for approximately two hours. I did confirm that the emergency lighting in the halls on the second floor did work during the outage. Again, had you have called me (my cell number is posted on the front door during the night) I would have suggested that you open the window and the balcony door in the room in which you were staying or moved you to another guest room. Also, we have emergency flashlights in each guest room as a back-up in the event that the power is out and our generator does not automatically work. Unfortunately, as owner of the Richmont Inn, I have no control over power outages that occur and while I understand you felt your stay was interrupted by some of these things you now mention after being denied a complimentary stay for the future, I do wish to thank you for your condolences. I hope in the future should you decide to return to the Richmont Inn, we will do a better job of meeting your expectations and again, I am sorry you felt that we were responsible for your experience. Kind regards, Susan Hind, Proprietor, Richmont Inn

Reviewed 12 May 2017

The Inn is a beautiful location with well-appointed rooms. We were in the Stickley Room which had a stunning view of the mountains. The room was comfortable though not as clean as we would expect. The seating, bed and bathroom were all very comfortable. The main room of the Chalet was very comfortable also, though it could be cleaner also. The breakfast area was also very stunning with large glass windows that left you felling as if you were in a treehouse. Some of the food service could have been better, but over all above average. The chief negative to the property was the lack of maintenance: dormant water features, broken lights, rotting rails, accumulated leaves and debris on steps and walkways, etc. It becomes obvious that the owners are not putting much into properly maintaining the property. Still, the overall stay was in a comfortable and peaceful environment.

Room Tip: Stickley Room has an unobstructed view of the mountains.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank fmccamant

I apologize for your disappointment in our Inn. Unfortunately, my husband who managed the maintenance of our property became very ill and passed away during the middle of May. There is no excuse for our poor maintenance issues, however, we are now working to repair many of the things you mentioned in your review and I hope that you will return to our Inn in the future so that we may have another opportunity to serve your needs.
Kind personal regards,
Susan Hind
Richmont Inn, Proprietor

Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

Tucked away on the quiet side of the Smokies is a delightful bed and breakfast made in the shape of an Appalachian Cantlever barn. Each of the rooms honors someone who was influential in Appalachian culture. Our room was very comfortable and interestingly decorated, and the breakfasts and evening desserts were delicious.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
RichmontInn, Owner at Richmont Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2017

Thank you for taking your valuable time to write about your stay with us. We appreciate your nice comments and hope you will return another time in the near future. May you have a blessed day. Kindest personal regards, Susan Hind

Reviewed 21 April 2017

This is a nice isolated Inn located high in the woods, I have a problem with the term luxury being used in some descriptions. I will spell out below.

First the pros. I will review the main building and grounds. All rooms are well decorated and roomy, only The Lucy Morgan room has an unobstructed view of the mountains. All other rooms have a forest view. WIFI is strong in all areas.
The bed was comfortable with high end linens. The dining area has a fantastic view of the mountains and golf course below. The inn is warmly decorated with art and has nice reading nooks. Hot breakfast is served at 8 or 9 am with desert and coffee in the evening, all included. The Chalet building we did not enter was more modern and all rooms had fantastic views. Breakfast was good but scrabbled eggs are not gourmet.

Not so luxury:
The grounds around the main building are showing lack of maintenance and care. There is a caving in slate patio roped off with orange tape. The gardens are overgrown and several cascading water features were bone dry and haven't been used in a long time. Leaves and debris have collected over the trails making them treacherous. An observation deck at the top of the main building has a nice view but was scary, shaky and also in need of maintenance.

Though the staff was pleasant and accommodating we did not see the inn owners once during our stay. Attention to detail marks luxury. If there are 2 of three light bulbs out in the bathroom and you didn't notice, if there's a broken blinking clock in the room that can't be reset, if there are rodent droppings on the room deck, if you are served cheese cake with chocolate drizzled over it one night and not the next night, if you are given tea in a coffee cup and coffee in a tea cup, and if you are wearing sweatpants while serving breakfast.... you are not luxury.

The staff did attempt repairs on the light bulbs and clock but they did not notice that the golf course located 1/4 mile away had been closed for almost 2 years. We booked Richmont with intentions of playing that golf course. While the closure of the Laurel Valley golf course is not Richmonts fault, it and the inn are located in the gated community of Laurel Valley. Though the staff might not have known it was closed the Inn keeper should, but we never met them.

Still this is a nice Inn at a good price.

Room Tip: Morgan Lucy is the only room in the main building with a Mt view. The Chalet has amazing Mt views from all rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank roger b
Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend. Casual country Luxury. Breakfasts were delicious and staff are very friendly. Piped music and dessert options in the evenings. Converted barn style b&b. We had private balcony. Small with view of small garden area and pond in the back. Nice setting, difficult to find at first arrival. Navigation devices not accurate.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple